Pirate Cruise at Grand Floridian

tripletmom1298

Earning My Ears
Could anyone tell me if the Pirate Cruise for kids at the Grand Floridian is worth it? Are there characters on board? Does it include a meal? We only have 5 days so should we send our triplet 4year olds on the cruise or should we spend the time at the parks?

Only 127 days to go!!!!!

We haven't been on it, we are thinking about it for our kids next trip. No characters, lunch of PB&J.

With five days, I wouldn't do it - unless your family does Disney a lot.

My kids did the pirate cruise last year and absolutely LOVED it! They were ages 5 and (just shy of )3. The kids each get a pirate bandana, a bag of "treasure" (like party bag junk...butthey loved it!), a PB & J sandwich, chips, and juice box. They went to different hotel marinas in search of treasure. In the past Goofy was supposed to be at one of the stops but he wasn't on their cruise so I don't know if they stopped it. If you do decide to book this do it as soon as possible because it fills up FAST! I can't remember the time frame ...60, 90 or 120 days. I'm sure it's on this website somewhere! If you have the time, I'd do it. You also get a little break from the kids to relax!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

My DD did the Pirate Cruise and LOVED it!!! Again, no characters, and a lunch of PB&J, cookies, drink. She loved searching for the buried treasure! I think its definitely worth it!

Allison has also done the Alice In Wonderland Tea Party (about three times!) and it is definitely her favorite!!! Alice is there, and of course the Mad Hatter - and she treasures her picture with them!

When she and I go again in October, she'll be trying the Adventures in Cooking! She's getting excited about attending that and already knows how she wants to decorate her hat!

When DD was on the cruise, DH took our two teens to MK; and we met up later. I had a wonderful late breakfast at the GF Cafe!
When she was at the Tea Party, we've either had a drink at the pool, or had lunch at GF Cafe. When the tea party was over, I went get her and brought her to our table.

She loves these "Kids Only" adventures!!! They only last about an hour and a half to two hours so it really doesn't take that much time out of your day.

My DS did it when he was 10 and LOVED it!!!

DD 4 years old this January and loved it. We had 6 days, so we had scheduled a day away from the park. Since you can get to GF from MK in 20 minutes (if crowds are light) on the monorail, and back to MK w/in 10 minutes you are really only interupting your park time for 3 hours. What I liked about it is it gave her time away from lines, hyper stimulation of rides, parks etc. It is great if your kids like adventure and have a little imagination. The meal is so-so and the treasure they bring back is junk to you and me, and gold, pure gold, to them. Depending on your budget, I'd go for it. It gave me two needed hours to do some souvenir shopping on Main Street in MK.
Love to hear what you decide.

Thanks for posting this question. I was just coming to this forum to ask the same thing. Our DD 3 is going in May. Any other comments will be greatly appreciated.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

could anyone who has participated in the pirate's cruise offer any info about the children-is it mostly boys, or a fair amount of girls too? any idea about average age? are the youngest (4-5?) frightened, or does it appeal mostly to older children? thanks for any insights.
ps-my dd, almost 4, did the adventures in cooking recently, and loved it.

My 10 year old son just did this again for the second time. The first time he did it, he was 8. There were kids on the cruise for the entire age range and slightly more boys than girls. All the kids seemed to have had a good time.

My son loved it. Since he's 10 this was the last time he can go.

Here's a picture of them on the dock, getting their initial instructions: http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...990803&collid=25625090803&photoid=96257090803

Here they are walking along the dock to the boat:
http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...990803&collid=25625090803&photoid=51077090803

This is a picture my son took while on the boat. Unfortunately it was the only picture he took.
http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...990803&collid=25625090803&photoid=58077090803

Here's a picture of the kids on the boat:
http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?...990803&collid=25625090803&photoid=40397090803

Hope this helps!!
Cindy in NY

Our DD 4.5 yrs loved it. About 1/3 of the kids were girls. Saw one about 3.5 yrs with sibling on the cruise. Some older kids. These cruises seem to be very well supervised, and scripted. They will have to find a "buddy" sit with. Once DD found another girl to talk to all stress was gone. She did act up the morning before the cruise from the anxiety. Once we figured out what was happening, we made sure we got there early enough to see the boat, meet kids etc. Kids did not seem frighted from the boat, just the fear of finding someone to buddy up with.

We are going in May. I was thinking of booking this for my DS4.

My fear is that he'll back out right before the boat leaves. He tends to be shy at first, then he's a whip.

Anyone have children like this that went on the cruise?

Also, where is the "cooking adventure" that I've heard on this thread?

My DS (4) went in November, He was a little iffy getting on the boat but he had a great time. He was so excited about his little treasure bag. I think it was well worth the money. Michelle

Liv2CDWorld - Adventures in Cooking is held at the Grand Floridian two to three times a week - Alice In Wonderland Tea Party is also held at the Grand Floridian. Both activities are for kids.

From what I've read on Deb Wills site, at the Adventures in Cooking, the kids decorate their chef's hat and apron, then they're read a story. Whatever the story is about is usually what they "cook" (i.e. cookies, muffins, etc.). It really sounds like a lot of fun. My DD is really excited about trying this in October - she is already planning how she wants to decorate her hat!

... and when he heard we have another trip planned, it was the first thing he asked about.

He's not big on strange adults, but he jumps right in with groups of new children. However, the treat of getting to ride on a *BOAT* outweighed any qualms he might have had. The first time, we could barely restrain him long enough to get his sunscreen and life jacket onto him, and he was on that boat without a backward glance. He was actually kind of glad to get a break from his parents, I think.

Both times, the crowd was about evenly mixed in terms of boys and girls, but it does seem to skew a little younger. I'd say that most of the kids were 8 or younger, the older ones seemed to be siblings.

There is an alternative lunch available if your child can't or won't eat PBJ, I'm afraid that I don't remember what it was, though.

We are looking to book the pirate cruise for our 2 year old twins who will then be 3 and a half and 9 year old brother. My hubby is not a happy disney person. so I thought this may give he and I some down time. I am however very nervous. I am sure they are wearing life vests. But, exactly how tight is the supervison? I keep thinking 3 and a half and water.......I have one little guy who is shall I say a little spirted. any advice would be appreciated I think they would have fun, But I however would like to shrug off the what if factor. Thanks in advance.

twinmomplus2, We are going the week of June 22 with 3 and a half year old twin girls and an older sister who will be 8 and doing the pirate cruise. I'll post our comments when we get back. We had the same concern about the water, but a prior posting said it is very well supervised.

He is an avid Captain Hook fan and he is psyched about this cruise. I am a little uncertain, as he is an only child and I am worried about him being separated from us for a couple of hours.
Most all of the posts I have read about this event state that the kids love it. I think it will bother me more to be without him than vice versa!!

Originally posted by thymed
He is an avid Captain Hook fan and he is psyched about this cruise. I am a little uncertain, as he is an only child and I am worried about him being separated from us for a couple of hours.
Most all of the posts I have read about this event state that the kids love it. I think it will bother me more to be without him than vice versa!!

My son is 4 and my feelings are the same as yours. I'm not sure if he'll actually get on the boat without us. He's very outgoing once he gets to know the crowd, but he's very shy until then.

How much is this!? Where can I find more about it!? Sounds like something DS would enjoy!

It is offered leaving from the Grand Floridian. I believe I booked mine by calling Disney just as you would for priority seating! The cost was around $25. Sorry I am sketchy on the details....but I booked this in January. I also think I remember them saying something about stopping it after the 15th for refurbishing or something along those lines...HTH

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter