Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

I'm not scared of pits, but I don't want one. I used to work for a pediatric surgeon and he said he had repaired injuries from just about every type of dog, lazy family pets, sporting dogs, working dogs, toy breeds etc but he said by fair the worst injuries were caused by pit bulls. That was enough for me. We are getting two GSD puppies next month, I know a lot of people are scared of them though. To each his own. I did call our insurance company before we committed to be sure they would still cover us with a GSD.
My experience has been that GSD are great with their own families but unpredictable at the vet or with visitors.

I'm not scared of pits, but I don't want one. I used to work for a pediatric surgeon and he said he had repaired injuries from just about every type of dog, lazy family pets, sporting dogs, working dogs, toy breeds etc but he said by fair the worst injuries were caused by pit bulls. That was enough for me. We are getting two GSD puppies next month, I know a lot of people are scared of them though. To each his own. I did call our insurance company before we committed to be sure they would still cover us with a GSD.
What's a GSD dog?

I’ve had several Rottweilers and they are great dogs. My last 2 were male and female, 170 lbs and 130 lbs. you train them correctly and no problems. My male broke a pit bulls leg when it tried to attack me.

Incorrect. They were originally bred for bull baiting and bear baiting. Both are blood sports and were banned in 1835. But breeders found something else to do with them. Dog fights. It wasn't until the 20th century in the U.S. that they were used as catch dogs for semi wild pigs and livestock. To this day they are the most popular breed to use in illegal dog fights.

Contrary to myth, they don't have a locking jaw. They just hold their bite longer than most. Smelling salts or any other ammonia odor will cause them to break their bite. They hate it.

She was quoting them as to the fact of what they were originally bread for. A fact you didn't have straight.

And I stand corrected on the breeding.

Am well aware of the locking jaw. There is no difference in the jaw of that breed over any other breed. My black mouth has the same tendency to not want to let go although he has never bit a person or another dog. He prefers biting down and hanging on to his rope toy. If outside, a water hose sprayed will make them break it too.

She was asked more than the breeding. I assumed she was responding to all of it. Still do not know what physical characteristics or nature is different from all other dogs.

Many breeds were originally bred for something that they no longer do or are bred for. Boston Terriers were originally bred for fighting as were a few others.

Dogs will go back to their natural tendencies to hunt or burrow or herd or chase. That’s simply something anyone should be aware of with any dog. But their nature is more about the individual dog just like a person’s nature.

When I was a teen I had a Doberman. Lovely dog. So sweet and loving. People kept telling me his brain was going to swell and he would turn on me. I couldn’t roll my eyes enough.

Idk but my golden likes to retrieve & my dachshund likes to burrow & I taught neither of them to do that. It’s what they were bred to do. I used to have a beagle, they’re bred to flush prey. He tried to do this with the cats & smaller dog all the time. My point is if I have seen my dogs naturally do what they were bred to do without any training, then I’m not trusting any large breed that was bred to be aggressive.
Good point. I do have to say I've seen this as well. My son had one of those bird hunting dogs, can't remember the breed. He came to the house one day when my chickens were outside. This dog shot out of the car like a bullet, and grabbed and instantly killed one of my chickens. It was horrible (as I was fond of my chickens). The other dog, he owns, just got out of the car like normal. The dog in question had never done any hunting in her life.

I’ve had several Rottweilers and they are great dogs. My last 2 were male and female, 170 lbs and 130 lbs. you train them correctly and no problems. My male broke a pit bulls leg when it tried to attack me.
Wow!

Sorry, she passed away in 2014 so I can't ask. It's possible she was using personal experience and/or bias. Don't take my word for it.

Dh’s sister had a Dalmatian. It was deaf but they didn’t know. Her daughter walked up behind the dog and startled it and it bit. When they talked to the vet, he said that it’s typical for Dalmatians as so many are interbred. I have no clue if what the vet said was true.

In fairness, my border gets very agitated and aggressive when strange people come on the property. Acts like an angel with other people when we are out somewhere.

And I stand corrected on the breeding.

Am well aware of the locking jaw. There is no difference in the jaw of that breed over any other breed. My black mouth has the same tendency to not want to let go although he has never bit a person or another dog. He prefers biting down and hanging on to his rope toy. If outside, a water hose sprayed will make them break it too.

She was asked more than the breeding. I assumed she was responding to all of it. Still do not know what physical characteristics or nature is different from all other dogs.

Many breeds were originally bred for something that they no longer do or are bred for. Boston Terriers were originally bred for fighting as were a few others.

Dogs will go back to their natural tendencies to hunt or burrow or herd or chase. That’s simply something anyone should be aware of with any dog. But their nature is more about the individual dog just like a person’s nature.

When I was a teen I had a Doberman. Lovely dog. So sweet and loving. People kept telling me his brain was going to swell and he would turn on me. I couldn’t roll my eyes enough.
I like your points. I laughed about the eye rolling. It's true, dogs traits are discussed and pondered when considering a breed. If you are a water person, like swimming and boating, you probably want a dog breed know for water sports. But you never know, the puppy you pick out might not like the water after all. I do think the best chance to get a dog that likes water would be to pick out a water breed. So, I guess I do think genetic traits play a role, we just never know how much or how little. And I do believe nurture plays a larger role...IMO.

My experience has been that GSD are great with their own families but unpredictable at the vet or with visitors.

Dd has one. She is a great dog. Not sure how she would be with someone they don’t know coming over but when dh and I visit, she is like the grandkids! All excited and wanting our attention lol.

She doesn’t like strange dogs but is a big chicken lol. I kept her while they went on vacation and she saw a dog on the driveway and shot off toward it barking like crazy. I ran to get her and apparently the dog turned around and looked at her because she turned on her heels and almost knocked me down running back to the house, in the door and to the back room. I have never laughed so hard at a dog.

Dh’s sister had a Dalmatian. It was deaf but they didn’t know. Her daughter walked up behind the dog and startled it and it bit. When they talked to the vet, he said that it’s typical for Dalmatians as so many are interbred. I have no clue if what the vet said was true.
I have to say I've heard similar stories about the breed. But who knows, unless you do some extensive research, and even then there is so much controversy in these matters, you end up having to make the best informed decision you can.

In fairness, my border gets very agitated and aggressive when strange people come on the property. Acts like an angel with other people when we are out somewhere.
Well, aren't dogs territorial? I mean people get them to watch their homes, bark when someone comes around to put you on alert. I do agree personality has a lot to do with behavior, but they tend to be protective aren't they?

This is my experience. I’ve always owned labs but three years ago someone gave me a German Shepherd puppy. I researched the breed and began socializing her at doggy daycare and the dog park as soon as she was appropriately vaccinated (12 weeks).
She’s a great family dog but incredibly protective. She can be aggressive to strangers and other dogs and I’ve spent thousands on specialized training.

I found out later that both her mother and one of her litter mates have bitten people. She herself bit an unleashed dog that ran up to us at a park.

I love her. That said, managing a potentially aggressive dog is stressful and expensive. My house is divided into sections separated by high walk-through gates. My front porch and back deck are securely gated. I’m constantly vigilant about avoiding situations that put other people, animals, or my own dog in danger.

Nature vs. nurture is an interesting concept when it comes to dog breeds. I’ll admit that before having this experience with my own dog I always leaned toward bad owners=bad dogs.

This is my experience. I’ve always owned labs but three years ago someone gave me a German Shepherd puppy. I researched the breed and began socializing her at doggy daycare and the dog park as soon as she was appropriately vaccinated (12 weeks).
She’s a great family dog but incredibly protective. She can be aggressive to strangers and other dogs and I’ve spent thousands on specialized training.

I found out later that both her mother and one of her litter mates have bitten people. She herself bit an unleashed dog that ran up to us at a park.

I love her. That said, managing a potentially aggressive dog is stressful and expensive. My house is divided into sections separated by high walk-through gates. My front porch and back deck are securely gated. I’m constantly vigilant about avoiding situations that put other people, animals, or my own dog in danger.

Nature vs. nurture is an interesting concept when it comes to dog breeds. I’ll admit that before having this experience with my own dog I always leaned toward bad owners=bad dogs.
Wow...thanks for this story. I too would have been with you on the bad owner=bad dogs. So nothing you've done has curbed the behavior?

Foe.

I have a friend who owned 2 pit bulls for a very long time, 7 years. They were his babies, he always praised them and how good they are with his children, etc. He was always sharing memes and pit bull feel good stories.

Three weeks ago, he got into a verbal argument with his teenage son. Just normal yelling back and forth about something irresponsible that his son did. One dog began getting agitated, so he put the dog in a bedroom and closed the door (a pull down handle type door).

The dog OPENED THE DOOR and charged my friend, and began attacking him. My friend remained calm, trying to talk the dog down from his frenzied state. The dog continued to attack him. The son ran to the neighbor to alert him, asking for help. The dog attacked my friend for 20 minutes, while the neighbor stood by with a gun, ready to intervene if necessary. At one point, the dog went for my friend's neck, he pushed him off, told his neighbor to shoot, and he did. They called 911, and my friend BEGGED the cops to try and save the dog. The dog bled out. My friend was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, and was badly injured. He needed 68 stitches on his arms and legs. His shoulder was dislocated during the struggle.

My friend was heartbroken at the loss of his dog as well as the fact that his own dog, his baby, had turned on him like that. He still has his other pit.

He was subsequently evicted from his apartment (for housing an animal that was "dangerous to the residents of the community) and lost partial custody of his younger children (who were also home at the time of the attack).

These dogs are monsters, and it is sad that they have been so poorly bred to make them more prone to violence. However, I firmly believe that they are no longer the gentle "nanny dogs" that they were originally used for.

Foe.

I have a friend who owned 2 pit bulls for a very long time, 7 years. They were his babies, he always praised them and how good they are with his children, etc. He was always sharing memes and pit bull feel good stories.

Three weeks ago, he got into a verbal argument with his teenage son. Just normal yelling back and forth about something irresponsible that his son did. One dog began getting agitated, so he put the dog in a bedroom and closed the door (a pull down handle type door).

The dog OPENED THE DOOR and charged my friend, and began attacking him. My friend remained calm, trying to talk the dog down from his frenzied state. The dog continued to attack him. The son ran to the neighbor to alert him, asking for help. The dog attacked my friend for 20 minutes, while the neighbor stood by with a gun, ready to intervene if necessary. At one point, the dog went for my friend's neck, he pushed him off, told his neighbor to shoot, and he did. They called 911, and my friend BEGGED the cops to try and save the dog. The dog bled out. My friend was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, and was badly injured. He needed 68 stitches on his arms and legs. His shoulder was dislocated during the struggle.

My friend was heartbroken at the loss of his dog as well as the fact that his own dog, his baby, had turned on him like that. He still has his other pit.

He was subsequently evicted from his apartment (for housing an animal that was "dangerous to the residents of the community) and lost partial custody of his younger children (who were also home at the time of the attack).

These dogs are monsters, and it is sad that they have been so poorly bred to make them more prone to violence. However, I firmly believe that they are no longer the gentle "nanny dogs" that they were originally used for.
OMG...I was moved to tears when I read this. Did your friend come up with any explanation for the change in behavior? What a devastating story, for everyone concerned.

OMG...I was moved to tears when I read this. Did your friend come up with any explanation for the change in behavior? What a devastating story, for everyone concerned.

No. The dog literally just snapped. This dog used to sleep in my friend's bed, and he raised him from a puppy. My friend is having a very difficult time with the whole thing and I feel so badly for him. The best guess is that the dog misinterpreted the argument and was being protective of the teen. However, there was absolutely no violence involved in the argument at all. It was not a physical altercation. The dog had never shown any aggression towards any people or other animals.

I don't really hear news about a person being killed by a lab or a golden or a great dane. Maybe it happens sometime, but overwhelming odds when you hear a story about someone being killed by a dog, that it is a pit or pit mix. When they attack you they mean to kill. That is in their make up, whether it is inbreeding or purposely breeding for the aggressive traits in the lineage. Temperament.

I guess you are good unless and until they attack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter