Placeholder logistics

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hi! We are planning our first del trip for May 2025 on the wish. I really want to sail on the treasure as I love the adventure theme but I figure trying the wish first will help us test the waters with our little kids (will be 5 and 2 at time of sailing). I’m hoping to use the placeholder from our May 2026 cruise to book the treasure in May 2026 but I know the May sailing will already have been released by the time we cruise and get the placeholder in May 2025.

I’m wondering how others handle this situation. If we wait until we actually have the placeholder to book im assuming prices will be high and cabins will be slim pickings. Is it best to get the placeholder and wait for sailings that have not yet been released? If so, I suppose we could cruise in the fall of 2026 (or even November/december but I really want to see the ship WITHOUT holiday decorations) . Any advice from expert cruisers? Alternatively, we could sail the treasure next September (2025) could knock that off my bucket list and then use the placeholder for a cruise in 2027? I’m just worried my kids won’t be old enough to make the 7 night sailing truly enjoyable, but maybe that’s what the placeholder is for, to try it again in a couple years 😝?

You could book Treasure when itineraries open for booking which should be the cheapest and most room choice and then cancel it if you’re not suited for 7 nights. You have 2 years to use the placeholder and if you don’t use it, you get your $250 back.

The usual advice in this scenario is book the 2026 cruise as soon as it's available to get the best rate possible.

Once you have the placeholder, price out the same cruise and see if it's cheaper.

Then either keep the cheaper booking, whichever it is, or use the placeholder to get an even better price at another time.

We sailed 11/4 last year and had no decorations on the ship. Week before was Halloween. Week after was Christmas. November might work for you to sail with the ship not decorated.

We sailed 11/4 last year and had no decorations on the ship. Week before was Halloween. Week after was Christmas. November might work for you to sail with the ship not decorated.
I’ll keep my eye out for that timeframe, sounds like it could work perfectly! Thanks!

Week after Christmas is going to be super expensive because people go because the kids are out of school until new years .

I would think for a 7 night cruise, you would want the littlest one to be 3 so they can go to kids club.

@DynamicDisneyDuo has the best advice for your situation. Book for May 2026 when those itineraries are released. Then "re-shop" after you've completed your May 2025 cruise and have the placeholder. If the fare hasn't risen more than 10%, cancel and rebook using the placeholder -- doing this by phone the CM may even be able to get you the same stateroom. If fares have risen more than 10%, you've got the lower price already booked and can use the placeholder for another cruise. Or cancel it for the $250 refund. I don't think standard itinerary May cruises increase in fares as quickly as some special itineraries, and Treasure won't be as "new" by 2026 either.

I would think for a 7 night cruise, you would want the littlest one to be 3 so they can go to kids club.

Countersign, and I'll add in fully potty trained. We survived a 4 night with an un potty trained 3 year old (not for lack of trying, she's just stubborn) but I was really glad we hadn't booked a 7 night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter