Places to visit that are not miserably hot in August?

I'll look at all of the suggestions.

We were originally thinking of Pacific Northwest but when I looked at the temps in Napa for August it still seemed to be super hot for me so it sort of landed in the nope category. I don't really know of stuff to do further up than Napa, this lady is not into hiking and I am not what anyone would call outdoorsy. While some people appreciate a beautiful mountain view all I think about is, "Uggh, the ticks and bugs," but I love strolling and exploring cute towns, fairs and festivals and such and my own pace.

Where have you been so far. Maybe go back to one of those spots if you liked it. :)

That's why our family goes every year to northern Michigan and the UP. We like it there. :thumbsup2

Where have you been so far. Maybe go back to one of those spots if you liked it. :)

That's why our family goes every year to northern Michigan and the UP. We like it there. :thumbsup2
All the places I have ever loved I went to in cooler months and end up hibernating all summer, but I'd love to change that as long as a place is cool.

What is the UP?

We like lake areas in Idaho — Sandpoint, McCall, Coeur d’Alene.
@FreeTime mentioned Lake Tahoe. That’s also lovely.

how long since your last trip to coeur d'alene? i can't believe how the downtown area has changed (is going to change). we are starting to refer to it as 'coeur d' napa'. the town is in celebratory mode though-it was just announced they are getting a trader joes:thumbsup2

All the places I have ever loved I went to in cooler months and end up hibernating all summer, but I'd love to change that as long as a place is cool.

What is the UP?

OK, clearly you haven't been to Michigan then!! :teeth:

I guess my question to you is what temps are you actually comfortable at then?

If you haven't been, Michigan is beautiful in the summer. You said you like little towns and festivals - Grand Haven, Holland, Traverse City, Mackinaw Island, and the UP (upper peninsula) are all places to consider.

People who haven't been associate Detroit as all of Michigan. Couldn't be further from the truth. Michigan is a gorgeous state.

*edited, grammar

Last edited:
We like the Smoky Mountains/Appalachians. Very scenic, and many resort areas that cater to visitors.

If we were Uncle Scrooge wealthy, we would have a place in Coastal California to spend the summer months away from our native Louisiana.
I was gonna suggest this too, because we once visited Dollywood in August and it was crazy because our trip started in DC and we drove to Orlando and that was our midst stop. I recall the weather being awesome there and commenting the whole time how not hot and humid it is. it’s a fluke but I can’t see the Appalachian being that high up altitude wise. What makes a difference in temperature?? Maybe some locals can comment here if maybe we just hit a lucky spell or is it normally hot. I could definitely see Tennessee being miserable in August.

That has been our whole summer goal in recent years. We go late June/early July. We have loved Mackinac Island, Michigan, Ireland😍, and the North East US (Maine, Vermont. Cape Cod). Currently planning Scotland for next summer.

how long since your last trip to coeur d'alene? i can't believe how the downtown area has changed (is going to change). we are starting to refer to it as 'coeur d' napa'. the town is in celebratory mode though-it was just announced they are getting a trader joes:thumbsup2

Yeah...it's more hectic there. I prefer the other two towns, but mentioned all three because it gives more options when searching for accommodations. Pricing, available dates, all of that. I think a nice lake vacation can probably be carved out of any of them.

I was gonna suggest this too, because we once visited Dollywood in August and it was crazy because our trip started in DC and we drove to Orlando and that was our midst stop. I recall the weather being awesome there and commenting the whole time how not hot and humid it is. it’s a fluke but I can’t see the Appalachian being that high up altitude wise. What makes a difference in temperature?? Maybe some locals can comment here if maybe we just hit a lucky spell or is it normally hot. I could definitely see Tennessee being miserable in August.
You must have been lucky. It’s hot as heck here in August. (I live nearby.)

Western Montana. Snow doesn't fully clear until June, then highs around the 60s in August, and it snows again in October.

Colorado and the Rocky Mountains in August was fabulous. I have gone twice in August now. Warm enough for tshirts and eating outdoors but not miserable. Cool at nights especially when you’re at 10,000 feet

We were originally thinking of Pacific Northwest but when I looked at the temps in Napa for August it still seemed to be super hot for me so it sort of landed in the nope category. I don't really know of stuff to do further up than Napa, this lady is not into hiking and I am not what anyone would call outdoorsy. While some people appreciate a beautiful mountain view all I think about is, "Uggh, the ticks and bugs," but I love strolling and exploring cute towns, fairs and festivals and such and my own pace.

Maybe near the water, then - southern Maine coast, or Cape Cod or Cape Anne in Massachusetts.

Coastal New England can still get pretty humid and warm in the summer. Midcoast Maine would be better than southern Maine coast. Northern Maine (as in north of Bangor) offers better weather for you, but not really any of the cute towns to explore... it's helpful to enjoy outdoor activities up there (boating, hiking, biking, etc.)

What about Prince Edward Island? I've been there in August and it has been warm but not hot.

How about Mackinac Island and some of the lovely little towns in the Lower Peninsula in that region and, then, further up into the Upper Peninsular?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter