Plan to visit SeaWorld Thurs. 2/6/25-should I do Wed. instead to avoid Seven Seas Festival

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Hello,
Next year in early February I'm doing a mini solo trip to Tampa and Orlando (DH and DS and spouse -- the main people I usually travel with aren't going on this one). I'll be spending two nights in Tampa to visit a cousin of mine who is in Assisted Living there. My favorite nephew from Orlando is going to join me in Tampa too. Then I'm going to stay at my nephew's house in Orlando for two nights. We are going to visit Bok Tower Gardens on our travel day from Tampa to Orlando and go to SeaWorld the following day. I'll be flying into Tampa and flying home from Orlando.

SeaWorld is a park that my nephew and I both love, but neither of us has been to for a while. I haven't been since 2020 just before Covid-19 hit.

Anyway, I see that the Food Festival (Seven Seas) at SeaWorld runs from Feb. thru May on Thursdays thru Sunday and I'm wondering if I should move my trip up by a day to go to SeaWorld on Wednesday instead to avoid a day when the Seven Seas festival is going on for lighter crowds perhaps and to avoid buying a food lanyard and all the festival food and drink. It also looks like that there is a really good chance that Thursday might be the very first day of the festival. What I'd really like to just do is take my nephew to one special meal at the park -- just one splurge -- eat at Sharks Underwater Grill. My nephew is a little bit of a foodie and loves that restaurant. I already talked about going to this restaurant with him, upped my budget for the trip to cover this, and my nephew is excited to go here. When I talked to my nephew and made these tentative plans though, I didn't realize that the Seven Seas festival would be going on, and I know he loves that too. I figure, though, he lives in Orlando so he could certainly if he really wants to do this food festival at another time with friends as it runs through May.

Now me, I'm not really into food and drink at food festivals. I've never been to the SeaWorld one though which I know people rave about. All the food festivals have just been way too crowded (e.g. Taste of Chicago over the fourth of July weekend - insane crowds, high prices, long lines, Epcot Flower and Garden at spring break -- crazy crowds, long lines, high prices) -- At least I liked the gardens though). I've done some food festivals in my home metro area of St. Louis too and they have been too crowded for my taste and not my thing either -- I'd rather given the price and crowds of these things do a nice sit down meal instead.

Anyway, I'm thinking of moving my entire trip up by a day so I would go to SeaWorld on a Wednesday instead of Thursday and skip the Seven Seas festival. Or do you think I should still go on the Thursday but maybe not buy a lanyard (just let my nephew snack a bit on festival food as I know he will want to and still do a meal at Shark's Underwater Grill)? It's just starting to sound like way too much food and a really expensive day. I could up my budget some more, but I really don't want to. SeaWorld experts, let me know your thoughts.

My plans are first thing when we arrive at SeaWorld is to go over to Shark's Underwater Grill and make a reservation for when we want to eat there as I understand you can just make those reservations day of.

Last edited:
Normally I don't think the Seven Seas festival really brings crowds, but with it potentially being the opening day it skews more towards being potentially busy. I don't know if that's enough to rearrange the whole trip. They have had really good festival food in the past, but it is a lot if you are trying to sample a bunch and also have a full meal at Sharks. And becomes a time sick as you wait in numerous food lines around the park. Personally I would not try to do both the festival food and Sharks in one day, unless you are maybe just grabbing 1 or 2 choice selections from the festival tents.

You should also be able to catch some good deals when SW releases their Black Friday sales. I haven't seen anything for Sharks but they've done cheap animal feeding trays and encounters in the past. And the Dine with Orcas is worthwhile too, if you think you'd want to do 2 sit down meals. They have done BOGO or BOG1/2off the past few years if you reserve during the Black Friday sale. Spending some extra time right up close with an orca is great.

Thanks CAPLOCKS (Super Helpful). This far in advance it's not a big deal if I travel Sunday thru Thursday instead of Monday thru Friday. I haven't booked my flights yet. And I'll be booking those with Southwest points so it's really easy to change things. With that Thursday very likely being the first day of the festival I think I'll give it a pass for next year and do SeaWorld on the Wednesday (avoid the whole issue). I've never eaten at Sharks Underwater Grill, so I am looking forward to trying that. Your post was really helpful in my making that decision -- doing one or the other of those two due to the time involved. Given that I'm not a local and don't get to SeaWorld that often I just want a chill day to do a lot of the normal attractions.

I appreciate the tip on "Dine with the Orcas too. I've done that one though three other times -although it was called "Dine with Shamu" back when I did it, so I'll pass on that for this time. On one of those times we took my nephew too, so he's had that experience before. He worked for SeaWorld quite a few years ago too.

Thanks for the tip on the Black Friday specials. I'll definitely take a peak to see if there is anything we'd like to do that they are offering discounts on. I do like getting the food trays. I'm guessing Sharks Underwater Grill wouldn't have a deal as it's a different company, but it sure doesn't hurt to check.

I love SeaWorld and am really looking forward to visiting again. I seem to be doing these annual February trips, so I may for future maybe do a trip later in February to avoid opening day and give the festival a try, but for 2025 it will be Shark's Underwater Grill instead for my one foodie experience on the trip.

I really appreciate your taking the time to post.

Last edited:
Sharks also will make for a better off-your-feet relaxing break. And climate controlled. Many of the festival tents just have primarily standing tables nearby. Although you can bring the food into a show, if you time it right.

Have fun!

Sharks also will make for a better off-your-feet relaxing break. And climate controlled. Many of the festival tents just have primarily standing tables nearby. Although you can bring the food into a show, if you time it right.

Have fun!
My 63 year old feet will appreciate that lol. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter