Planning for Thanksgiving week 2023

Surgie

Mouseketeer
Family of 11 coming Nov 17-25. Staying offsite at Windsor Hills. 6 adults and 5 kids ages 4-11. Two people are driving and the rest are flying and renting cars upon arrival.

I have reserved the villa and the minivans. The rest…I don’t even know where to start. Our last visit was 2018 for 10 days and I was an expert planner LOL. Used fast passes effectively and had reservations made the minute they were available for dining and BBB etc. It all went so smoothly.

But so much has changed…FP gone and now lightning pssses. And our family interests mean not doing everything together like we did 5 years ago since the bigger kids want a couple Universal days.

So can you point me to some resources to get started? I have the Disney experience app but I don’t want to miss deadlines for reserving meals, BBB etc. Is Early Morning Magic a thing anymore? Suggestions for going to MK on a party night or not? We want at least one night we’re all at MK for fireworks but that probably means party tickets for 11? Yikes why is this feeling so overwhelming??

I think it is good you plan to split up and not expect everyone to do the same things. With a party of 11, trying to all walk around together at any park (Disney or Universal) is a bad plan. Everyone won't have the same interest in rides/shows and some may want to shop or sightsee or just walk around. Some families may want to sleep in, others may stay up late, others get up early and want to race off to a park.

Since you will be there over a Holiday and likely to be very crowded, the most important thing to do ahead of time is make park reservations. Better yet, have a discussion with all of the adults ahead of time so they realize park reservations are necessary but wasn't something you needed last time you were there. I would let each family do their own planning then it isn't your problem to try and plan THEIR vacation for them. Perhaps you should all agree to meet for lunch/dinner on a certain day?

I think it is good each family has their own transportation so they can come/go as they like or even decide to do different parks on the same day.

I would think basically have to decide who is doing what on what day. When are people going to Universal, what Disney park are people doing. Since you’re offsite, there isn’t any early morning magic hours for, on-site guests get in 1/2 hr early, Universal has same thing onsite and top tiers of AP get in 1 hour early. Special stuff BBB, building a lightsaber etc open 60 days out, so does dining but you only have 1 day at a time not length of stay since offsite.

I would research about Genie+, last thanksgiving it was $29 per person per day. So pretty pricey for big group.

Thank you! Good ideas to get me started. Totally forgot we need park reservations now. We will have two minivans and a car so transportation for each family.

I will have each family plan for themselves but want to discuss in advance what things we’ll do in common.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter