Planning Honeymoon Trip - Resort Help/Advice Desperately Needed!

jstaples1

Earning My Ears
Hi all,
I came across the forum a few weeks ago and it has been a godsend! Hopefully the collective knowledge and expertise of everyone can give me some advice on some questions I have. Basically I need some opinions/suggestions/general help with picking a resort and room- type inside the resort for my honeymoon trip.

My fiance and I want to go to Disney World on our honeymoon in late October of next year. After reading through this forum and some other research, we've pretty much decided to stay at the Grand Floridian. But I have some questions about it and it's rooms that hopefully someone can help me with!

Here goes:
1.) We're thinking about doing the Jacuzzi honeymoon suite over the Octagon suite. Anyone stayed in one of the jacuzzi suites before? Good, bad, indifferent in your opinion?
Also, I've read some info that said it's a 1 person jacuzzi, other info says it's a 2 person. Can anyone confirm for me which they have?

2.) In terms of noise level, can anyone pass along any opinions on how quiet it is on the floors the suites are on (kids running up and down hallways, etc....). I know that floors 3-5 have the private elevator and enterance, but what about the 2nd floor ?
I know, I know... it's Disney World. But it's also our honeymoon so quiet(er) would be nice.

3.) Assuming the honeymoon suites are all booked up (and sadness ensues) I think we'd like to go with a Dormer room for the private balcony. Opinions on those rooms?

4.) Aside from the Floridian, any opinions on what other resorts have nice suites? Our order of importance is a) overall quality of room and resort b) noise level c) full balcony.
From what I've read the Beach and Yacht and also the Poly sound interesting, any opinions?

5.) Anyone know how quickly the honeymoon suites and the suites in general get booked up? We're 14 months away, so hopefully we can still get one.......

Thank you to everyone in advance. I greatly, greatly appreciate it and I'm just thankful I found this forum.

Thanks!!!

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage. It is so exciting. I will be in WDW for part of my honeymoon in June 2003. We are staying 6 nights at the GF (honeymoon suite concierge) and I booked it about 1 year in advance b/c I wanted to make sure that I didn't miss out on the room I wanted. I requested that we have a full balcony and a view of the castle (very romantic). Then we are staying 4 nights at the YC (concierge/king). Again, b/c I'm such a neurotic planner I have booked both resorts already and I'm just waiting to see if I can get any specials on room rates.

As far as choosing a hotel for my honeymoon, there was no choice that it would be the GF. It is so romantic and befits a honeymoon atmosphere. Instead of staying at one place the entire time, we thought it would be a nice change of pace to go the YC after the GF. ;)

If you want info on GF and/or YC or POLY, do a search on this site for information. Also, you can go to the following websites:

www.wdwig.com
www.ourlaughingplace.com
http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/

Good luck with your planning and congratulations again. I hope that some of info has helped you out! :p

Hi!! I love talking about a GF honeymoon! I took mine at the end of October 2001 (wedding Oct 27).

We stayed in one of the jacuzzi rooms. It is on the second floor, but in a private area. It was VERY quiet.

I would say the jacuzzi is an oversize tub with jets. We still enjoyed it though :) We had room for both, but we are both little (5'2" and maybe 5'5").

There aren't many of the honeymoon rooms (any you can only request jacuzzi over octagonal). We called early April 2001 for end of October 2001, and got the room without a problem. However, when we called after 9/11 (when we decided to drive rather than fly) to shift our arrival and departure date a day, the last day was booked. We got another room, and then called again closer to time and it had opened up (maybe 9/11 cancelations?). You have until 5 days or something like that to cancel with full refund, so if you are pretty sure, you can reserve the room and cancel if you change your mind. That way you don't have to worry about losing one of the rooms.

I don't know a lot about the other resorts. Staying at the GF in the main building was my dream honeymoon, and we have not had a chance to try the other resorts. I'm sure others will offer some help though.

There have been some really negative posts lately about RPC at GF. I hope that doesn't deter you or others too much. My advice is to not go in with too many expectations (not saying others have). If good things happen, great. We did receive a call from RPC twice before the trip offering their services. However, I would not wait for a call if you would like something done. I sent a number of emails asking about PSs (had them make the Fantasmic reservation since I couldn't, and had them make a special seating request at Narcoossee's since I couldn't-wanted window seat with MK view), and having them verify all dates and times. Closer to time, we also emailed them when we expected to arrive and restated our jacuzzi over octagonal preference. When we arrived at GF, we went to a free person to tell them we needed to check in with RPC (so we wouldn't have to wait in line). They called up and had someone come down to get us, and we checked in while sitting in comfy seats :)

I hope I have answered your questions. I'll try and check back to see if I missed anything.

Oh, and if you are there at the right time, I would definitely recommend Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween party! We are taking a cruise (Royal Carribean) for our first anniversary and going to Disney just for that before hand.

I am just so excited for you!!

Wow! I am so excited for you (and jealous!). I haven't stayed in any of the suites in any of the resorts, but the honeymoon is the perfect time to try! I can tell you a little about the dormer rooms in GF. We stayed in one overlooking the MK last year. It was nice, but I wouldn't say it is honeymoon material if you are considering suites as well. The room is smaller than the rest of the GF rooms, very nice, with private balcony, but view can be a bit obstructed by trees.

If on a budget, I would include it in the plans, but I would probably go for a suite if possible.

If you get the Travel Channel, there is a show called 'Great Resorts' (or 'Great Hotels', can't remember). Anyways, they have an episode they re-run from time to time (was on last week in fact). The host stays in a dormer room and she shows you all around the room. The host also goes into I think 2 different suites so you can see on what they are like as well. They have a schedule of upcoming episodes I believe on the Travel Channel web site.

Good luck and congratulations!!!

I would be taking on a honeymoon on January 20, 2009 for some reason to go to the Grand Floridian Resort for some good rates.

GF is very nice and transportation is good, but we actually prefer WL - we honeymooned there back in 2000 in one of their honeymoon rooms. There are 4 of them on the 7th floor of the main building. Jacuzzi tubs and all - we loved it and the staff at WL was wonderful. I thing they are priced a little better than GF.

Its kind of a taste thing - we prefer WL (GF is too fruffy for us), I just wanted to throw in another option. We loved it - we had a view of the MK from our room - you could see the castle out of the bathroom window - it was pretty cool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter