Planning Tips for Your Disney World Trip - Start Here!!!

scrappinginontario

If you're looking for a great summary of some of the changes that have happened since your last visit, this is a great place to start!

If It’s Been a While Since You’ve Been to Disney, Know Before You Go

Other helpful threads to read while planning your visit to the WDW Theme Parks:

Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane

Everything Park Reservations

Everything Early Theme Park Entry

Everything Park Hopping

These threads and many more are pinned to the top, yellow section of the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies Board. Please check those out as a great place to start planning your theme park visits.

Also, if you would like help and ask questions about your specific trip, please post these in the, Theme Park Plans sub-forum as there are many here who like to help out and that's where they look to help others with planning with WDW vacations.

Another area you may wish to check out is the, 'Doing the Happy Dance' board and find fellow DISboard members who are travelling the same month you are. Great discussions, suggestions and helpful information is shared in those monthly threads.

Package delivery service is NOT currently available to either the front of parks or resorts.

Last edited:
I am planning a very impromptu, short trip to WDW 4/12-4/14. We will stay on property, the plan is a Deluxe, though haven't booked anything yet. We'd do 3 day park tickets, likely with park hopper.

This is Easter week so I'm expecting crowds though I'm the tiniest bit hopeful that since we'd only be there midweek it won't be *as* bad.

It will be myself, 15yo daughter and 67 year old mother. The sole purpose of this trip is to go on Avatar (long story that I won't bore anyone with but it's a must and the only ride we HAVE to go on). That said, it's $$ to go to WDW and if we're going to go and spend, we'd like to do as much as we can in the short time we have and, of course, do it without waiting hours and hours for any or most things.

For someone who hasn't been there in 7 years, and felt pretty darn skilled at self-made touring plans, and ADR and Fastpass booking, I'm feeling very lost right now and wondering if we should even bother if crowds are terrible and/or securing the opportunity to ride anything desirable requires crack of dawn or midnight hours, or if given this late date, we've missed any opportunity for ADRs, etc.

So, Genie+? Lightning Lanes? Booking a specific park date and not being able to park hop until you check in at the first park? Who can go to Early/late hours and when? I'm so lost. Any insight is appreciated. Bonus for a plan that includes some pointers on making sure we get on Avatar.

Thanks in advance!!

Read the first post of the sticky threads on:

• Genie+
  • Early Entry (it is at all 4 parks every morning now)

Also, as a Deluxe guest see you might be able to get a late evening one night. You should check on that.

ADR's work much the same.

I would be realistic about expectations. ADRs will be tough for certain places, but you will still have choices. You can pay for individual lightning lanes (flight of passage), but you need to read all the details as mentioned above.

I would first look at what hotels are available. Honestly, I would do that first because you may have to see what cost/availability is. Also, see what parks are available by looking at the reservation calendar. For instance, I will be there right before you and 4/11 is closed for MK. The week before also has blocked off parks. I would figure out the hotel situation and then get tickets and passes ASAP.

Read the first post of the sticky threads on:

• Genie+
  • Early Entry (it is at all 4 parks every morning now)

Also, as a Deluxe guest see you might be able to get a late evening one night. You should check on that.

ADR's work much the same.
Thank you, I did. It was mind-spinning! Genie+/LL/ILL anyway...Early entry, I get.

What does it mean when it says "tap in"? I saw that in a couple of posts but didn't see an explanation.

I would be realistic about expectations. ADRs will be tough for certain places, but you will still have choices. You can pay for individual lightning lanes (flight of passage), but you need to read all the details as mentioned above.

I would first look at what hotels are available. Honestly, I would do that first because you may have to see what cost/availability is. Also, see what parks are available by looking at the reservation calendar. For instance, I will be there right before you and 4/11 is closed for MK. The week before also has blocked off parks. I would figure out the hotel situation and then get tickets and passes ASAP.
Agreed. I don't care as much about ADRs honestly, more navigating the parks and getting my kid on FoP! But yes, I will find hotels/parks first, if possible, and go from there.

Thank you, I did. It was mind-spinning! Genie+/LL/ILL anyway...Early entry, I get.

What does it mean when it says "tap in"? I saw that in a couple of posts but didn't see an explanation.
"Tap in" is just to scan your Magic Band or equivalent at a Lightning Lane (i.e., FastPass lane) to enter that ride. This question is a good one to just post in the G+ thread.

I last visited 3 years ago and have heard that the access system has changed somewhat.

Here in the UK you can basically buy a 7 or 14 day pass with, back in the day, gave you the privilege of turning up any day you like and access any park you like - park hoppers they were called. You could either wait in line or pick up a free FastPass ticket for a ride at a kiosk waring your band.

So. What's this about pre-booking parks and no more park hopping. And what is this Genie Plus system I keep hearing about? Are there new restrictions I know nothing about? I'm booked for a trip in September and need to know this stuff!

I last visited 3 years ago and have heard that the access system has changed somewhat.

Here in the UK you can basically buy a 7 or 14 day pass with, back in the day, gave you the privilege of turning up any day you like and access any park you like - park hoppers they were called. You could either wait in line or pick up a free FastPass ticket for a ride at a kiosk waring your band.

So. What's this about pre-booking parks and no more park hopping. And what is this Genie Plus system I keep hearing about? Are there new restrictions I know nothing about? I'm booked for a trip in September and need to know this stuff!

Please read the pinned threads above. They’ll answer many of your questions in the first post.

Disney does sell hopper passes. You may hop after 2pm if your ticket includes hopping.

Please see the links in post 1 of this thread. A lot has changed so we’ve gathered information in one place to help with trip planning and learning.

I am planning a very impromptu, short trip to WDW 4/12-4/14. We will stay on property, the plan is a Deluxe, though haven't booked anything yet. We'd do 3 day park tickets, likely with park hopper.

This is Easter week so I'm expecting crowds though I'm the tiniest bit hopeful that since we'd only be there midweek it won't be *as* bad.

It will be myself, 15yo daughter and 67 year old mother. The sole purpose of this trip is to go on Avatar (long story that I won't bore anyone with but it's a must and the only ride we HAVE to go on). That said, it's $$ to go to WDW and if we're going to go and spend, we'd like to do as much as we can in the short time we have and, of course, do it without waiting hours and hours for any or most things.

For someone who hasn't been there in 7 years, and felt pretty darn skilled at self-made touring plans, and ADR and Fastpass booking, I'm feeling very lost right now and wondering if we should even bother if crowds are terrible and/or securing the opportunity to ride anything desirable requires crack of dawn or midnight hours, or if given this late date, we've missed any opportunity for ADRs, etc.

So, Genie+? Lightning Lanes? Booking a specific park date and not being able to park hop until you check in at the first park? Who can go to Early/late hours and when? I'm so lost. Any insight is appreciated. Bonus for a plan that includes some pointers on making sure we get on Avatar.

Thanks in advance!!
Magic Kingdom is already sold out for April 12. I'm going the following week, also thinking that crowds wouldn't be *as bad*, but looks like they will be *as bad* or worse!

Magic Kingdom is already sold out for April 12. I'm going the following week, also thinking that crowds wouldn't be *as bad*, but looks like they will be *as bad* or worse!
I am not sure if all the days are easy to compare crowd sizes. Now that Disney has the park reservation system, they can use it to plan staffing. They may reduce capacity for weeks where staffing is down. Either way, it points to longer waits if the park is at capacity, however that is calculated .

We are just back from Spring Break. We were not able to purchase either Slinky Dog Dash or FOP. Even being poised at 7am. My phone would not show FOP available no matter how many times i refreshed, and by the time the system "caught up" it was sold out. Slinky Dog's very first availability was late evening and we were park hopping that day.
It was very disappointing. I suspect my issues had something to do with my phone not being logged into the Dolphin's internet but I'm not sure.

I wouldn't worry so much about dates. Most every day ends up being "sold out" eventually in the reservation system as Disney adjusts capacity/staffing to meet demand. My sense is there aren't any low-crowd days anymore, the whole point of dynamic pricing and the reservation system is to align capacity and demand. Bad news is traditionally low-crowd times like Jan/Feb have much higher waits than in the past. Good news is holidays aren't so bad as they once were. We were there between Xmas and New Years and were pleasantly surprised that crowds were reasonable.

Is there a good thread already on when to arrive at each of the parks if you're staying off-property in 2022?
This thread is about ETPE but has some good information for all guests in the first few posts.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-early-theme-park-entry-etpe-please-read-post-1.3855945/
There isn’t an official thread but I would do much of what is recommended in the thread suggested above by @Doingitagain. The 30 min difference quickly disappears as the crowds increase due to the combination of onsite and offsite crowds, it’s good to arrive as early as possible to get into the park early. I believe all 4 parks allows both onsite and offsite guests to enter at the same time, they just hold offsite inside the park fo the 30 mins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter