Planning Trip for Wife & I....Need Help

ScottB66

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

Please forgive my ignorance as I am brand new to the site, and trying to figure out what all the abbreviations mean. I'm slowly but surely starting to figure them out!!

Anyway, we are planning to go in November to avoid crowds, is this a good choice?

Also, we would like to pick a resort that is close to the parks, yet close to restaurants and maybe clubs? Are there resorts that seem to attract more adults? The ultimate resort would be within easy walking or shuttle to the clubs so we don't have to drive after a few cocktails. We also like huge pools, with swim-up bars, etc.

We haven't been to Disney since we were kids, 1984 was my last visit. Obviously, we have a lot of catching up to do.

As it looks like I found the right site for a plethora of info, any and all suggestions are welcome. Please help get me started in the right direction. If you need any more info to help make a suggestion, just shout. Thanks to all for any help....

Scott

Any time school is in is a better time to go. The best time seems to be between Thanksgiving and the week before Christmas. As for what resort to stay at. All the disneyworld resorts have internal bus service to take you to any clubs, water parks, ect. The higher in class of resort you go to the more you will find at the resort, such as bars, restorants, larger pools etc. I also now travel without my childeren and I like to stay at the Port Orleans French Quarter as I find this to be a smaller resort with less children than some of the others. It does have a pool with a bar, a food court, although the restorant is closed you can walk to the restorant at it's sister resort the Port Orleans Riverside and go to boatwrights restorant. It also has a club and you can take the boat directly from there to Downtown Disney/ Pleasure Island area where there are a number of restorants, and Pleasure Island is an Adult Club area with a number of clubs. Most of the Deluxe Resorts have restorants and clubs in them as well as great pools. As with anything Disney the more you get the more you pay and Disney is never been cheap for anything. I hope this helps you for more info can check the disneyworld site or check the resort section of the DIS

But I'll give you my dos centavos.

My wife and I went the first time for our honeymoon. Being our honeymoon we went for a somewhat higher-end resort "The Wilderness Lodge".

Now, we prefer a really lower priced, on-site resort. Since so much of our visit was spent at the parks it made no sense to spend so much money for a place to pass out in from exhaustion.

For our next trip we are heading for Port Orleans French Quarter. Would have stayed at All-Star Resorts, but we've gotten the 4-day Land and 3-day sea package and the cabin we booked on the Wonder only left Port Orleans.

Other advice. Shorts with lots and lots of pockets. Both my wife and I take fanny packs with hidden pockets for cash. And good walking shoes.

Best advice I could give, please remember we've only been once, is to take your time and just enjoy! :)

Hi Scott

Being a Scott also, here is my choices. I would stay at the Yacht and Beach Club ( they have the best pool..my opinion )...no swim up bars anywhere that I know of. Directly across the lake is the Boardwalk (my 2nd choice ).
The Yacht Club has a great steakhouse to eat at....and a nice little icecream shop that serves sandwiches. Across the lake id the Boardwalk w/ ESPN rest. , Flying Fish rest, several shops, and dance hall
Any other questions PM me and I will try to answer.

I too would suggest the YC or BC. But understand they are deluxes and are pricey. Also, if you prefer clubs, PI (Pleasure Island) has a great night life with all kinds of clubs & music. The resort busses all pick up from there to return you to your resort. I think the last pickup is 2:00 am.

Even if you stay at a moderate or value, the busses will take you to DTD, PI, or the Boardwalk. Well not BC direct from the other resorts, that's something I plan on learning on my next trip. I don't think they run as late as the PI busses do.

PO (both Riverside and French Quarter) and OKW (Old Key West) have boats that go to Downtown Disney. You can walk to Downtown Disney West side from OKW - this has no lights on it so I don't think it is wise to try it at night.

Broadwalk (BW) has some night clubs (not as many as PI) - but fun anyway - there are 5 resorts near Broadwalk- the Broadwalk villa (BWV), Broadwalk Inn ( BWI), Beach Club(BC), Beach Club Villa (BCV), Yacht Club (YC), Dolphin (D/S) and Swan. the Dolphin and Swan have all types of discounts for teachers, nurses - and several others that I don't remember.

there is also a bus from CSR (Coronado Springs Resort) that goes directly to the BW.

Right now Disney is having a special -
www.mousesavers.com
go see what you can find.

the early part of November the food and wine festavial is still going on - the last week is decorated for Christmas and the Xmas shows are going on - MVMCP (Mickey Very Merrry Christmas Party), C P (Candelight Procession), CAW (Christmas around the World), etc. So I would go either the first week or the last week depending upon what you want to do.

All the moderates and the deluxes have a night spot - POR (I think) has entertainment at night in their bar.

the values resort only have a pool bar and I think you want more.

OK

I think any "EPCOT" resort would be ideal for you both - so any that "spiceycat" has mentioned would be good. I can recommend the Yacht Club as I have stayed there with my other half but the I've heard that the Swan and Dolphin are also good and more reasonable.

The pool is big and there are also quiet pools - at most of these resorts whilst there are no swim up bars there are servers who will come and take your orders whilst you just rest there in the sun and certainly the YC serves some great cocktails.

November is a great time, it's not that busy, but you need to leave before Thanksgiving as it can get pretty busy. The weather can be quite cool sometimes so take a jersey or cardigan for the evenings.

With any of the resorts around the Boardwalk you can walk to EPCOT, get a boat straight from your hotel to MGM - and there are buses that take you to the door of the Magic Kingdom.

I second or third the Yacht and Beach Club suggestions. Great pool, you can walk to EPCOT and the Boardwalk area with its restaurants and Jelly Rolls club. It's my favorite resort.

We will be there on our honeymoon the end of September, and had the same issues you have, good transportation, access to restaurants, near clubs, etc. After much debate, we settled on The Yacht Club. I think it is a little pricey, but after all, we are splurging!

I will let you know how it turns out, and good luck!

I'm sure you'll LOVE it! Best wishes on your upcoming marriage. Best of luck to you both. It's a perfect place to spend your honeymoon.

Hi Scott,

I used to live in Quincy, I love Boston!

I would suggest you stay at The Boardwalk Inn. November is a nice time to go, the Food and Wine Festival is from October 19th - November 17th. It's in Epcot and you can walk there from the resort, you can walk there from The Yacht and Beach Clubs too but we like Boardwalk better.

Pleasure Island is a must-do, especially the Comedy Club and Adventurer's Club. We don't take the buses very often, but we do take a bus to Pleasure Island, parking and valet are a hassle there. You could dine at Portabello's at the entrance to Pleasure Island that night, very nice restaurant.

There are usually very talented bands playing at Atlantic Dance Hall right there at The Boardwalk. Many people like Jellyrolls, which is a dueling piano bar. Everyone sings along to old songs, like "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" and "Brown Eyed Girl". People love it, it's just not our cup of tea.

Speaking of cup of tea, we like to have a few alchoholic drinks at The Belle Vue room in the Boardwalk Inn. :p You can sit out on the balcony and watch the comings and goings on the Boardwalk but we always sit at the bar and chat with the bartender and other visitors.

We love The Flying Fish restaurant which is also right there on The Boardwalk. I would say that you must eat there at least once during your stay.

I would also suggest Spoodles for breakfast AND dinner. It is ALSO located right there on The Boardwalk.

I'm hurrying out to work now but I might have more to add later!

You can be sure of one thing, with a little planning, you will have the time of your life on your Disney vacation!

flowerface.gif
flowerface.gif

November could be a good time for crowds IF you avoid thanksgiving.

As far as resorts near clubs/bars, If you dont want to spend the money for a Deluxe I would go with Port Orleans Riversde (POR) or Port Orleans French Quarter (POFQ) They are in the moderate price range and there is a boat that takes you to downtown disney, where there are lots of shops and clubs.

Familiarize yourself with a Map of WDW That will help get you oriented!

Welcome to the DIS!!!!!!! You will find tons and tons of info here!!!!

To answer(or at least give an opinion about)your question...

In my humble opinion(IMHO...I've taught you an abbreviation;) )the best place to stay is the Epcot resort area, which would be The Yacht and Beach Club. This is one large hotel with 2 separate sections, attached at the hip, so to speak. They share a pool(Stormalong Bay). The Beach Club is a more light, airy "beachy" themed hotel, done in shades of pink,peach, light blue,light green. The Yacht Club is a little more formal in feel, done in a lot of brass and nautical, "yachty" type themeing.The feel at the Yacht Club is a little more reserved than at the Beach Club, but both are just lovely.As I said, they share a pool, called Stromalong Bay, which boasts a wonderful water slide, a current, a sand bottom, and several strategically placed hot tubs. The pool area is magnificent!!!!! Even if you don't end up staying here, it's worth it to take a walk by to look at the pool. The Y&B Club is a deluxe hotel, so it can be expensive, but depending on the time of year, there can be discounts. Look at the discounts board here at the DIS. The Y&B Club is in the Boardwalk area, so you also have all the things to do on the Boardwalk...dining,clubs,shopping. IMHO, the Boardwalk is a nicer nighttime area than Pleasure island. PI is a little too "in your face" for me...a little loud, a little crowded. Also on the Boardwalk is the Boardwalk Inn. Again, a deluxe hotel with a sort of seaside New England theme(think the Atlantic City Boardwalk of the early 20th century). Again, because it is a deluxe, it can be expensive, but check the discounts board. From any of these three resorts, you can walk or boat to Epcot and MGM, bus to the Magic Kingdom(MK...another abbreviation ;) ), the Animal Kingdom(AK), Typhoon Lagoon(TL)and Blizzard Beach(BB)water parks, or Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island(DD/PI).

If you're looking for a nice moderate resort(cheaper than the deluxes), Port Orleans is a good one. They have 2 sections...Riverside(POR) or French Quarter(POFQ). They have nice pool areas, and a cute little boat called the sassagouls Steamboat that will take you to DD/PI. Bus service is to all other parks and attractions. The other 2 moderates...Coronado Spings(CS-sort of a Mexico/Southwest theme)and Caribbean Beach(CB-an islandy, Carribean theme)are also nice, but no cute little transportation things or anything...everything is by bus. The moderates have food courts and some of them have a sit-down restaurant too. The moderates are nice, but if money isn't a huge object, staying at one of the deluxes is wonderful!!!!!

Feel free to PM me, as I could go on and on(and fear I already have;) !) and I didn't even touch on the deluxes near the MK or AK.

Husband and I stayed @ YBC last trip. I would recommend it. We got a great rate. The room was great! Short walk to Epcot was what we loved the most. You can even walk to MGM. Its a little longer but it's a great way to get warmed up for a whole day at the parks. Here are some pics of our room.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mkeflyer...order=&.view=t&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/

Jellyrolls is a fun place to be at night, its right across the lake.
Good luck with the planing.

Oh your going to have sooooooo much fun!

My thoughts only restate what others have said.... The Broadwalk area (Broadwalk Inn, YC and BC, Broadwalk Villas and Beach Club Villas) are all great choices.... And the more expensive ones too.... but www.mousesavers.com has a lot of tips on getting deals.

My husband and I are taking an adult trip and wanted to stay in the BW area, because on this trip we want to eat and drink our way around Epcot.... it will be nice to stumble home to BWV....... We have no desire to head to Pleasure Island or DD, but there is bus service that would get you there.... I do recomend taking a cab home though.... faster and not that $$$

OKW was mentioned.... this is a lovely Disney Vacation Club resort. But you can often book for cash. Old Key West is very laid back, lovely yet subtle themeing.... The largest rooms (studios) on property...... The pool is nothing fancy, but still nice and relazing and you cant beat the sauna in the lighthouse. There is a boat to DD from there. I have heard that boat ride is the fave part of vacations, of a lot of OKW regulars.

Port Orleans Riverside and the other one (I forget at the momment) is also another really nice option. And less $$$. Bus service is good too.....

No one have mentioned the Poly yet...... That is one fab resort. RIght on the monorail, so easy access to MK..... and other resorts, such as Grand Floridian, Contempary. Each resort has a nice bar/lounge, so bar hopping from resort to resort is fun too....

Have fun deciding.... and welcome to the DIS!!!!!!

My two cents from a budget conscious Disney Fanatic...

We go in spurts (five times 1992-94, nothing for five years, 2 in '99, off two years, 3 times since Aug. 01). We used to go hi-end, and if this is convenient for you, I agree with the Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk areas. Depends on your tastes and budget, but each of these has the advantage of being a short walk/drive from a lot of the more "adult" stuff, meaning Epcot and DD (Downtown Disney, by the way!). Extremely comfortable hotels, plenty to see, do, eat right at your fingertips.

We've begun to budget tighter in the last couple of years, mainly because we find ourselves spending way too little time at our resort/hotel. Plus, we like to visit Tampa once while we're down and therefore always get a car. These things in mind, Hotel Plaza Blvd (or the Marriott Village at Little Lake Bryan, just outside the Disney Gates past the Crossroads) are viable alternatives. Lower price means lower corresponding amenities, theming, and "magic."

For us, however, if the room is clean and functional, these areas do well (we particularly like the Courtyard at Lake Bryan). In these areas, assuming you have a car, you've got pretty good access to most everything you've got in the Epcot-area resorts, accept you've got a less attractive (but affordable and adequet) hotel/resort, and you have to drive two miles. And the DD/Lake Bryan hotels are a stone's throw from the Crossroads area, which has tons of restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Trying the Best Western Resort in DD this year. Knock on wood!

Welcome to the DIS Scott, I'm so glad you decided you join us.

The Dolphin has a great location too. I love the Boardwalk area :)

Katholyn

But where is Scott? He hasn't checked back in a long time.
basket.gif

Consider the Animal Kingdon Lodge, they run some great specials, and you could probably get a Savannah view from 150-180 per night. This puts you in a deluxe resort, much cheaper than many of the others. Go to www.disneyworld.com, and there is a box for current deals that are offering really good rates. A few other deluxe resorts may also be offered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter