Plans?! What Plans?!?! An Oct 2012 TR. 11/17 - Final Update!

smile4stamps

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

I'm Paula. I will be your narrator for this story! The other main character is Hunter, my wonderful Husband! :lovestruc

ry%3D400

I am a Disney Fanatic! I love all things Disney! My husband, not so much!

So we have the Who:
Paula & Hunter
The When: October 11 - October 26, 2012
The Where: Coronado Springs Resort October 11 - October 19, Villas at Wilderness Lodge October 19 - October 26
The Why: Why if one of us loves Disney and the other does not did we go to WDW for a second time?!? Well because my husband loves me of course! :love: That and he knew I needed something to look forward to when he moved to Colorado and I was left working in California. (We see each other only every 5-9 weeks or so!) In fact this trip followed a 9 week separation. (Our longest so far, and hopefully ever!) He also agreed because it was the Food & Wine Festival!

I have a PTR here if you care to read all the background and planning that went into the trip.

Otherwise I will just get this report rolling!!

So why the title.. Plans?! What Plans?!?! Well as outlined just above I had a whole long PTR detailing what I had hoped to do on our trip. A lot of the plans regarding meals and events stayed the course. However, all of my plans for the parks pretty much went out the window!

Now my PTR was titled it's ALL about the FOOD! And that was the main purpose of the trip however I also wanted to fully enjoy the parks! We did enjoy A LOT of Food! I will be covering some of the food items here as I don't want to have holes in my TR but I will also be doing a Dining Report (at the same time! :scared1:) so if you are only interested in the food then you can follow me there. If you are interested in all the trip details feel free to follow along here! (I will post the DR link here when I get it going, never mind!! I decided to convert my Pre-dining Report to my regular Dining Report so it can be found HERE)

So lets get this report rolling!!

Table of Contents:

Day 0: Travel Day
October 12, Day 1: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
October 13, Day 2: Part 1, Part 2
October 14, Day 3: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5
October 15, Day 4 - Part 1, Part 2,Part 3, Part 4
October 16
October 17 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
October 18 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
October 19 - Part 1, Part 2
October 20
October 21 - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
October 22 - Magic Behind the Steam Trains Tour Part 1 , Tour Part 2, Part 3- Not much of an update
October 23 - Part 1, Part 2
October 24
October 25
October 26 - Final Update

I'd love to hear about your trip! My hubby and I are going the first week of march for our 15th. It will be our 5th Disney trip together, but our first on property and with dining plan!

We were there the first week you were. Like to see how you experienced it.

I'm going to refer to this day as Day 0 as it was truly a travel day as it takes a lot of time to get from the West coast to the East coast!

As I mentioned in my intro I am currently living in California while my husband enjoys the quiet peaceful life in the country in Colorado. I would be flying Southwest airlines from San Jose to Orlando while my DH would have a non-stop from Denver to Orlando. When I originally booked our flights in June the cheapest flight for me was with a layover through Las Vegas. This was fine as I really wanted to save money however I had hopes all along that the flight that had a layover in Denver would go down in price. Even more I had hoped to be able to use a Rewards flight on it so get the money I had spent back as a return credit. A week before we were to leave the price of the flight going through Denver dropped in price to only $20 more than what I had originally paid! However I wouldn't even have to pay that $20 as I had already gotten a $20 credit for my return flight dropping in price! You bet your booty I changed and booked that flight to have a layover in Denver. As not only would I have my layover there I would be on the same flight as my DH heading into Orlando!! The Sunday before we were to leave my prayers of having that same flight come available as a Reward Flight came true! I was able to book it with my reward ticket and get a full credit to use for a future flight!

But I got ahead of myself! Let's get back to my travel day!

I woke relatively early considering my flight wasn't until 12:15pm. I got ready and headed to the airport at 8am. Yeah... I know... ridiculously early!! However I wasn't going to be staying at that point. I just had to drop my checked bags off! Yeah. I was packed to the max with 2 checked bags, a carry-on and a personal item bag... All STUFFED full!!

ry%3D400

Why was I dropping my bags off WAY early?? Well I was leaving on a Thursday middle of the day. Everyone that could give me a ride was working! I didn't want to take a shuttle or a taxi when there is a lightrail that picks up less than a 1/2 mile from where I am living and only costs $2. However, I did not want to take all 4 bags on the lightrail and then maneuver them to the bus that drops off at the airport. So that meant another $2 for short-term parking at the airport. If my flight was earlier in the day I would have broken down and gotten a shuttle but this worked for me!

After dropping off my bags I stopped at Safeway to get some Smuckers Uncrustables and some hair ties... I threw the uncrustables in the freezer when I got back to my place and finished getting everything ready. I then took off for the lightrail... And yes... I COMPLETELY FORGOT the uncrustables in the freezer!! :rotfl: So I walked to the lightrail station... Hung out for a few minutes.. got on the lightrail and relaxed on my 30 minute (or so) trip. Got off the lightrail and walked to the bus stop (across the street) and proceeded to wait, and wait, and wait... Ok... It was only like 10 minutes but it felt like forever lol!!

The Bus dropped me off and I headed into the airport, went through security... Which was more hassle than I am used to because I forgot I had a belt on and had to wear my tennis shoes as they wouldn't fit in my suitcase, plus I am used to checking all my luggage but since I had so much stuff I had to pull out my laptop yadda yadd yadda... I was finally through security and on my way for some food.

I stopped at the Britt. Its pub food... I should have ordered pub food. :rotfl2: Instead I got a chicken ceaser wrap with french fries.

ry%3D400

The Fries were delicious. Hot and Crispy! The wrap... not so much, the tortilla itself was limp and soggy and totally worthless...
Therefore my wrap became a salad!
ry%3D400

It was much more edible as a salad!

Then it was time to board my flight...

As mentioned above I had managed to get on a flight with a layover in Denver. However I did not tell my husband this! I wanted to surprise him!!

I wasn't sure how I was going to do this as the flight he thought I was going to be on was only an hour long and the flight to Denver was 2.5hrs! Thankfully I had a brainstorm. WiFi!! I could iMessage him as if I was still on the ground, boarding, landing etc!! Perfect!!

My gourmet airline meal!
ry%3D400

I landed safely in Denver, collected my carry-on bags and went in search of my husband who I knew was already at the airport. I had found out through messaging him that he was going to get something to eat at the Mexican place there. I looked as I walked past the food court but didn't see him so I figured he had headed to his gate... I didn't see him there either... Well hmmm, its still awhile till flight time maybe he is having a drink somewhere... I looked at the bar/restaurant near the gate, not there... Well let me go back to the Mexican place... Ahhh, there he is! Hiding on the end of the bar! (there was a Pillar near him that I couldn't see past when I walked by the first time!) I snuck up behind him and put my arm around him and said.. (Hi there, Would you like to go on a magical Vacation with me!) He was shocked to see me!

ry%3D400

We then proceeded to order a few drinks (okay, so he had already had a few before I even got there!)

ry%3D400

And the time flew till it was time to head to the gate to board the plane!

Once up in the air we ordered a few more drinks...
ry%3D400

And some snacks...
ry%3D400

(that's a healthy dinner right?!?!)

And spent the flight catching up and just being with each other!

We arrived in Orlando in what seemed like NO time at all! Got off the plane and headed to baggage claim. Then to Magical Express! Talk about a walk!!

We were then on a ME bus heading to Coronado Springs... We were one of the last ones on the bus so had no hopes of getting a picture of the wonderful WDW Arch. I was looking forward to the movie that they supposedly play but there was none for us...

Then we were at Coronado Springs... I honestly have no idea if we stopped anywhere else first as my mind has just blanked that out on me...

The line to check-in was fairly short so I was soon talking with a CM about our room. I had wanted to be near the hot tub and a bus stop. Apparently Casitas 5 is near those?!?! I wasn't happy with Casitas 5 so he got on the phone and tried to find us another room. After about 5 minutes he asked if we really wanted a King room... Ummm Yeah... That IS what I paid for! After another 5 minutes he asked if Cabanas 9B would work. Why yet it would! Thank You! After finally getting checked in and having my multitude of $50 Gift Cards applied to the room charges we were on our way to the room! Since we had 7 bags we did enlist Bell Services to give us a hand! Well me a hand.. While I was checking into the room DH had stayed with the bags. While waiting there he encountered a Pizza hut Delivery Driver and he decided Pizza Hut would do for a late night snack! So he called and placed the order and was going to wait for it in the lobby and then get a ride to our room. However Bell Services was busy by the time the Pizza came so he walked to the room. Since he had no clue where he was going though he texted me saying as much so I told him to look for the blinking orange lights! I had received a Mickey Pumpkin lanyard thingy in a Halloween Exchange so I took that out and was waving it around! He finally found me and we say down to enjoy our Pizza Hut dinner!

ry%3D400

(While waiting for DH to get to the room I took these pictures...)
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

And then after enjoying the Pizza it was bedtime....

I'd love to hear about your trip! My hubby and I are going the first week of march for our 15th. It will be our 5th Disney trip together, but our first on property and with dining plan!

We were there the first week you were. Like to see how you experienced it.

Welcome to both of you!!

Lexia, Anniversaries are wonderful at WDW!! I love staying on property!!

Scott, I'm interested to hear others opinions as well!! It certainly wasn't what I expected for October!

Scott, I'm interested to hear others opinions as well!! It certainly wasn't what I expected for October!

this was our 5th trip down in October. it has changed. LOL

I am here! Looking forward to reading more!

Loved that you surprised your husband!

The fries at the restaurant and the pizza look so yummy. I think I need to go eat lunch before I start drooling...

Oh, and love the room too. So pretty.

Hi Paula! I'm in for both of your reports!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

And some snacks...
ry%3D400

(that's a healthy dinner right?!?!)

ry%3D400

Soooo, I have to laugh. You went to Disney for the food, and this is what you come up with? :lmao:

I know I know, there's good stuff to come. This just made me giggle a little

Hi, joining in, can't wait to hear about your trip! :cool1: Your room at CSR is beautiful!

(Oh btw, I just followed you on twitter, I'm minnie_ears, if you were wondering who that was!)

I know how you feel about the long flight from Ca. On our trip in 2011, we flew on a red eye and it worked out much better because DS and I went to sleep:thumbsup2. We fly out of SFO and after a few hours I am like this :worship: CSR looks wonderful, can't wait to hear all about your trip:goodvibes

this was our 5th trip down in October. it has changed. LOL

I had a feeling that was the case...

I am here! Looking forward to reading more!

Loved that you surprised your husband!

The fries at the restaurant and the pizza look so yummy. I think I need to go eat lunch before I start drooling...

Oh, and love the room too. So pretty.

Welcome Andrea!! The fries were good... The Pizza was Pizza Hut lol. The room was pretty! The Bathroom was blah lol!

Hi Paula! I'm in for both of your reports!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Welcome Tina!! I hope you enjoy them!

Soooo, I have to laugh. You went to Disney for the food, and this is what you come up with? :lmao:

I know I know, there's good stuff to come. This just made me giggle a little

Ya know... at midnight you really don't have many options!!

Hi, joining in, can't wait to hear about your trip! :cool1: Your room at CSR is beautiful!

(Oh btw, I just followed you on twitter, I'm minnie_ears, if you were wondering who that was!)

:welcome: The room was nice!

I'm a twitter failure!! I planned to check in often on the trip and it just didn't happen! :guilty:

I'm here!!! Can't wait to hear all about your trip!!!

So sweet how you surprised Hunter at the airport!!! :goodvibes

:Welcome: I can't wait to hear about yours!! There will be a TR right?!?!

I loved that I was able to surprise him! I doubt I'd be able to pull it off again, he's probably be far more suspicious! lol

Joining in! I can't wait to hear all about your trip!! :)

:welcome:

Woo joining in! :love:

Love the delicious lunch on the plane. :rotfl:

Ahh yes!! I guess I should be thankful southwest still serves snacks!!

I know how you feel about the long flight from Ca. On our trip in 2011, we flew on a red eye and it worked out much better because DS and I went to sleep:thumbsup2. We fly out of SFO and after a few hours I am like this :worship: CSR looks wonderful, can't wait to hear all about your trip:goodvibes

I primarily fly southwest as its price usually can't be beat so unfortunately Red Eye's are not an option but for the right price I would definitely consider another airlines!

Alright... I know a lot of people come up with catchy titles but that is not me so you'll probably just see them labeled with the Day of the trip it was, and since each day will likely be more than one update it will say what Part it is... Boring I know but I never claimed to be creative!

Friday, October 12:

We awoke this morning.. me much earlier than my husband. I started to put some of the clothes away and after a bit we were both awake. My husband said to me that he felt the bed was really uncomfortable. I said I had barely slept but I thought it was just excitement. He said there was no way he could sleep like that again! So I got on the phone to find out if there was anything they could do. The Housekeeping manager/supervisor was soon knocking on the door. She came in, looked at our mattress, said "It's a Sealy." I said it may be a good mattress but it's REALLY hard. She said they would replace the mattress and add an Egg Crate mattress pad. Would that work for us. We said that we were happy there was something they could do! We told her what time we would be leaving and she said they would come back after we had left... Well I guess I didn't get ready fast enough and they were back before we were out the door.

So I hurriedly grabbed my stuff and we were out the door! We walked to Bus Stop #1 as we were told it was the closest to us.

It was finally Disney time!
ry%3D400

Waiting for a bus
ry%3D400

Soon we were on our way! Where were we headed?!!? Well as much as I wanted our first day to be at MK it wasn't to be. As part of the planning for our F&W Extravaganza I had discovered an event called 3D: Disney's Dessert Discovery. It is offered select Fridays during the F&W Festival. Well when the schedule came out it was not offered the friday I had originally wanted to attend... Yes, this meant changing to the first Friday we were there and also meant Epcot was where we would be going this day!

Before we could even go in the park though there were a few things to take care of at Guest services.

1) Activate my Annual Pass!
2) Purchase my Tables in Wonderland Card
3) Purchase MNSSHP tickets
4) Obtain Redemption Card for Disney Visa card!

After obtaining all of those it was off to.... Baggage check?!!? What exactly do they look for there anyways??

Finally we were in the gates!! I had us stop for a few Photopass Photo's and then spotted some characters!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Then it was off to the Photo Store to obtain my Photopass + Card. Now that that was obtained I had a mission to stop at the Festival Center to see about obtaining reserved seating for the Eat to the Beat Concert. But where is the Festival Center?!?

I guess it is THAT WAY!
ry%3D400

Ahh.... There it is!!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Into the Festival Center we went and I asked where the Chase Lounge was... We headed back that way and there was a line! Yeah, I think the reserved seats for the concert will be gone! Oh Well... Off to the World Showcase!

To save our feet we decided to take one of the friendship boats across the Lagoon!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We arrived in Germany a bit early for our ADR.

ry%3D400

We were finally going to get our first taste of Disney food and I was happy!!
ry%3D400

We decided to get a couple of shots to celebrate and hubby got one of the HUGE beers!
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

My First plate of food!
ry%3D400

Hunter's plate
ry%3D400

Everything was so good!! We really enjoy Biergarten!! And of course it's fun having some entertainment!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Need a nipple for that?!?
ry%3D400

Cheers!!
ry%3D400

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Biergarten. It's definitely one to do for us!

So happy to read your Biergarten review. We had to cancel ours because it was pouring down rain and we were too wet and cold to head back that way to eat. I was most bummed about it :(

Yay! Joining in your trip report Paula! Can't wait to read more about your trip.

Disney beds seem to go either way with their level of comfort - I'm glad to hear that they were able to help...or at least try to...hopefully their solution worked!!

We've never been to Biergarten, but it sounds like a lot of fun!

Hi Paula! Great start! I haven't been on the DIS much at all since coming back, but I really want to read about your trip- so I'm gonna try to be on here more :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter