Please help, Disneyland newbie

timandlesley

<font color=darkorchid>The tag fairy may not but t
I'm thinking of switching gears and going to Disneyland next year instead of Disneyworld. In looking over the website though it makes me worry because I don't understand a lot of it.
The Mickey dining plan says 15 choices per person. Is this for the entire trip? How many "choices" is a character meal or typical sit down? What about counter service?
Are there only two parks? How crowded are they in June? What is the weather like?
What is the difference between the Disneyland hotel and the one under that? Comparable to moderate/value at Disneyworld?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

timandlesley said:
The Mickey dining plan says 15 choices per person. Is this for the entire trip? How many "choices" is a character meal or typical sit down? What about counter service?

I'm not sure how the meal plans work, never done those :)

timandlesley said:
Are there only two parks? How crowded are they in June? What is the weather like?
What is the difference between the Disneyland hotel and the one under that? Comparable to moderate/value at Disneyworld?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

There are only two parks, and DTD. June I hear is moderately crowded, it's been a few years for me so I don't recall. My wife and I are planning a trip to SoCal at the end of June. The weather averages from low's in the 60's to high's in the upper 80's, but that is just the averages. This will also be our first time staying at a DLR hotel, so I can't help out on that one :)

As a vetern to both WDW and DLR, I can tell you that I prefer DL over MK. There is something magical about that park that I is hard for me to describe. I grew up visiting there every summer, so that could be part of it :) DCA is alot of fun too. I'm not sure how long you're going, but split your time up amongst the two parks and get out and see some other things if you can. Universal is fun to visit if you can.

Oh, you might also try and book mid to end of June, POTC is down until 6/24/06 according to a Disney press release. The DL POTC is so much better than the MK version. In fact, I planned our trip to make sure we could see it :) Hope this helps some!

darren

First thing you need to do, is not try to compare it to WDW. It is totally different. Its smaller. Yes, two parks, and they are VERY close to each other. Its not like WDW where you need to get transportation from one to the other. They are a couple hundred yards apart.

Here is the details on a 6 day (15 choice plan)
Mickey's 6 Days of Disney Dining Plan
15 Disney Dining choices per person.
Adult/Junior Meals included
Character Breakfast 1
Character Lunch 1
Character Dinner 1
Breakfast in the Park 2
$5 Voucher 3
$10 Voucher 4
$15 Voucher 3
Child Meals included
Character Breakfast 1
Character Lunch 1
Character Dinner 1
Breakfast in the Park 2
$5 Voucher 5
$10 Voucher 4
$15 Voucher 1

If you go to the www.disneyland.com site, and start to make a reservation, click on "dinning options". It will pull up a box that gives details for each of the plans. Sorry, I cant link it, it wont let me into the properties.

The dinning plans at DL are NOT like WDW at all. They are not designed to be money savers. They are however a good budgeting tool. I like the plan because then I know that we dont have to worry about the cost of meals while we are there- they are already paid for. If you do go with the plan, buy less days then you are going to be there. It will help keep your options open. The vouchers are not good in downtown disney.

The cheapest of the 3 onsite hotels is Paradise Pier. It is a nice property, with a great staff. However, the walk is a bit far. Its a little over 1/2 mile, with no transporation offered. We stayed there in Oct. Concierge level, theme park view. We enjoyed it, but I dont know I would do it again. There are so many offsite hotels for 1/2 the price, and just as close or closer.

This site http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/index.htm will give you some ideas for weather and attendance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter