• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

please help me identify this picture location!

staxia

Mouseketeer
I hope you all can help me out!!

I've got a picture of me and my parents from 1979, obviously taken at Disney World... For the longest time I thought it was over on a walkway in Tomorrowland, but as I've looked at it closer, I think it's closer to the hub, and maybe some of you eagle eyed folks can help me figure out where it was taken.

We're going as a family for Christmas, and my brother will be there as well, (younger, of course) and I wanted to sort of recreate it, even with him in it, balloons and everything (but no stroller!), if we can sort of narrow things down, I'd be super happy.

wdw79.jpg

I have no idea why it took me so long to try to place the location, I used to be there all the time, but never thought about it until I moved a thousand miles away!!

And maybe other people need places ID'd, too!!

I hope you all can help me out!!

I've got a picture of me and my parents from 1979, obviously taken at Disney World... For the longest time I thought it was over on a walkway in Tomorrowland, but as I've looked at it closer, I think it's closer to the hub, and maybe some of you eagle eyed folks can help me figure out where it was taken.

We're going as a family for Christmas, and my brother will be there as well, (younger, of course) and I wanted to sort of recreate it, even with him in it, balloons and everything (but no stroller!), if we can sort of narrow things down, I'd be super happy.

wdw79.jpg

I have no idea why it took me so long to try to place the location, I used to be there all the time, but never thought about it until I moved a thousand miles away!!

And maybe other people need places ID'd, too!!

i think it in mk by the castle with cosmic rays in the back round or in that direction you can see their lamp polls and flowers and a white building. Sorry if i am wrong. it diffentl facing tomorrland or fantsy land it a white building or bridge I copy and put on word to make bigger hope you dont mind it is dirr a bridge in the back round i can see people walking so it has to be either the first bridge to tommorrow land or the second to fantsy land. i hope soemone else can help we all knoiw it in mk and around the hub and proberl the right side you did a good job you should sumbmit it to the podcast for stump the podcast you win.

I have a completely different idea. I went to the Magic Kingdom Photos! Thread (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1332673&page=53) and looked at the first 53 pages of pictures. After looking at building after building and their columns (and there are a lot of columns at MK, all of them different) the only building with a column of the shape, style and color as in your picture is the first building on the left as you enter Main Street from the Railroad tunnel (marked with "X" in aerial pic). I "borrowed" a few pictures from the MK photo thread to show how the column matches your column. I couldn't match the angle of your picture, but it had to be as I indicate with the red arrow, with your back facing the train station block wall, and looking out towards the Emporium. The only difference from your picture seems to be that what was fenced off grass in your 1979 photo is now more of the pinkish sidewalk. Let me know what you think.

1stBldgMainSt.jpg

1stBldg-2.jpg

1stBldg-3.jpg

WOW!! interesting detective work...

the more I looked at my pictures, the more I'm thinking it was taken just off the hub.

that circular planter place behind, with the tree, and the fence, I think that's the same planter and fence that is the Kodak Picture Spot on the tomorrowland side, to have the castle behind you.... where there's a cut out to stand in the fence...

this place..

Image33.jpg
and over on this side, to the back of the photographer is the planter..

I wish my mom had taken as many pictures that first visit as she did when I was 12 and had such terrible fashion sense, I never want to look at those pictures ever again!! :laughing:

I read your post, and looked at my post again. Now I don't think I have the right building. The column in your picture and my picture don't exactly match. But that column is the most important clue to finding where that picture was taken. It belongs to a building. It is old style, anywhere from Greece to the Colonial period to the 1800s. Definitely not Tomorrowland or Adventureland. Probably not Fantasyland. Places it could be are Main St, and Liberty Square. I looked on the MK Photo thread and didn't find it.

The new picture that you posted, I did locate on an aerial map. But you see there is nothing with a big, thick column in that area. Down main street, where I have highlighted in red, are buildings with columns. They need to be looked at in person. Same with Liberty Square.

I will be in WDW next week. :cheer2: Let me see what I can find and post or pm you.

wdw79circlecopy.jpg

ScreenshotHub.jpg

that would be awesome, if you could check on that.

I did some circling and explaining on my own, using the pic you posted. (I can't figure out how to find a good aerial shot!! lol)

but there's the planter that I think is in the back, the grassy area, and an X near to where I think there's a light pole that could solve the column problem.

Untitled.jpg

I don't think so. Those light poles have always been olive green, and are thinner and have a kind-of rectangular base. I looked through the remainder of the MK photo thread and didn't find anything that could help. It just has to be looked at from ground level.

As far as getting aerial shots, I got that using Bing Maps. http://www.bing.com/maps/
You type in what you want to look at, like a specific address. I typed in WDW magic kingdom orlando fl. Then I zoomed in to get on the screen what I wanted to look at more closely. Look at it in "Aerial" view. Then, under "Aerial," I chose "Bird's Eye." You can magnify this view once, and you can rotate the view by pressing the arrow tool that looks like an arrow rotating in a circle.

You can always get aerial views from Google Maps, but Bing really zooms in. Then I took a screen shot and brought it into Photoshop to add the circles and type.

Anywho, I'll be at MK next week and I am so excited. I made reservations 6 months ago and have been counting the months and days and hours. I am bringing your picture with me and hope to find the picture spot for you. 'Til later.

Sorry, I could not find the location in your picture. I took your original photo with me on my trip to Disney the last 2 weeks. I was at MK 4 different times, looking around for the location in your picture. I did not find it. The tree in the background, now grown 30 more years, could be quite different. Also, there were many trees removed from the hub. My daughter suggested maybe the column belonged to something temporary that is not there now. Sorry, I cound not be of more help. I tried. :)

Thank you so much for trying to help!! :goodvibes That's more than I ever expected anyone to do!!

I still think I'm gonna try to redo it, and maybe near the location I'm thinking, or something closely resembling.. it may all be about cheating the eye, as well.. Either way, it'll be fun! A grassy area and a gate/fence that's what I really need. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter