Please help me plan a trip to Yosemite and Sequoia NP!

Soupermom

DIS Veteran
:wave2: Hello all!

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Yosemite and Sequoia NP next June. We've never been past the Rockies...so I need lots of advice. Details are as follows:
Cast: DH, DD15, DS11 and me
Dates: June 10th-17th (3 1/2 days in Yosemite, 2 1/2 in SNP)

We'll be flying and renting a car, which brings me to my first question...
Where do we fly into and about how much can I expect to pay for flights from Indy.? (We usually fly SW to Florida and I can do it for the four of us for between $600-$800; I have a feeling this trip will be lots more $$$$$!)

Other questions buring holes in my brain:

Which park should we visit first? How far is it between the two?

Where should we stay? We like rustic cabins WITH bathrooms. :thumbsup2 So far I'm thinking of the Yosemite lodge and the Cedar Grove Lodge OR Grant Grove Cabins. I'd like to book soon as I know the room fill quickly.

How is the weather in June? (We were in YNP and GTNP last June and had it all!)

What activities do you suggest? We went on a float in GTNP but the kids would like more action if we do that again. I was thinking of a horseback ride, too.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I bet there will be more. Thanks for any suggestions, tips or comments you can share!

Use a good airfare seach and pricing engine, like farecast.com to find flights and prices. You can pretty much fly into whichever Bay area airport has the best deal, San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose. Or Sacramento, which is closest to the park.

Drive to Yosemite first. Yosemite Lodge is a good choice if you can get in. Best activities are the many hiking trails in the valley, and the many activities by the park service. My faves are the Mist Trail and Yosemite Falls, and you can go as far as your energy and time allows. Start exploring the Park Service website for both parks to choose what best suits your family. Its about a half day drive out of the park and down to Sequoia.

Grant Grove and Cedar Grove Lodge are actually both in Kings Canyon, not Sequoia. Lodging at or near Sequoia/Kings is at a premium, so plan on booking THE DAY it becomes available, and take what you can get.

Both parks are real wonders, and the true activity at both is looking at what nature created.

There are several options for your return back to civilization--many folks like to drive across to Hwy 101, and then up to the return airport.

Curry Cabins with bath at Yosemite fit the rustic . . . the Lodge is more like a regular motel. Whatever you do stay in the valley if at all possible.
Our experience out of PHL was that SJC and Oakland priced out the same on SW . . . Sacramento and maybe Fresno are options. SFO was considerably more expensive for our travel. Before you book your air, check out the rental car prices . . . sometimes differences in the car can eat up an air saving.

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are pretty much linear parks . . . basically one road through. It's late and we were there a year ago, so names aren't all coming to me. To avoid backtracking, we stayed one night in a motel just outside the southern of the two parks, drove (with lots of stops) north to Grant Grove cabins (again rustic), one night and then up to Yosemite.

I would opt to stay at Yosemite first, but would do any order if lodging dictated. Just do KC and Sequoia together. Book your rooms NOW! If you find other options you like more, you can always cancel.

Curry Cabins do not have bathrooms, they have assigned central bathhouses, tho...and OP specifically wants with bath.

I am curious about Yosemite first. We were told to do Kings/Sequoia first as seeing them would be spectacular, but they would pale in comparison to Yosemite Valley, so seeing them last might be a bit of a let-down.

Totally agree with the BOOK NOW for next June advice. You may also want to see when the moon will be full next June, so you can be in Yosemite Valley then. YOu can google a lunar calendar to find out.

This is how we picked our dates for Yosemite! LOL! DH wants to see moonbows.

From http://www.virtualyosemitepark.com/ :

Yosemite National Park Highlight
Springtime in Yosemite - Moonbow and Yosemite Falls
Many know that the best time to visit Yosemite is during a full moon. The reason for this is when the moon comes over the rim and hits the valley and all the granite, it lights up everything. A favorite sight during a full moon is the moonbow at Lower Yosemite Falls. During the spring, when the falls are running full the light from a full moon hits the mist of the falls and creates a beautiful rainbow-like arc. Sometimes it is colorful and sometimes just white. A moonbow is not an everyday sight. It happens only within a few days of a full moon on a clear night. For those fortunate enough to witness a moonbow, it is truly an unforgettable experience.

Here's a site that predicts when to see Moonbows for the next three years!

http://uweb.txstate.edu/~do01/

This may not fit into your schedule, but I thought I'd throw it out there :)

Curry Cabins do not have bathrooms, they have assigned central bathhouses, tho...and OP specifically wants with bath.

Sorry Cheryl, there are cabins at Curry with bathrooms. In fact, more with than without. I stayed in one. They might book quickly, but they are there.

OP, for the facts check - http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodations_CurryVillage_LodgingDetails.aspx

Curry Village® Lodging
Tucked right in the heart of Yosemite, below the towering majesty of Half Dome and Glacier Point, Curry Village is a unique and magnificent place to stay. Curry Village accommodations include 18 standard motel rooms, 100 cabins with private baths, three Specialty Cabins with baths, 80 cabins with central bath houses and 427 canvas tent cabins.
"Cabins with Bath Cabins are wood structures that are furnished with beds, a desk or dresser, electric wall heaters, electric lights and outlets but no telephones or televisions. All cabins have outdoor decks or patios for relaxing in the beauty of Yosemite. Daily maid service, linens and blankets are provided.
Bedding configurations include:
one double bed, or
one double bed and one single bed, or
two double beds"

Also look at Yosemitefun.com - great site for info.

Curry Village - cabin w/bath would be my pick. I like the location better.

btw, I have a Yosemite guide w/map inside. After our trip to Sequoia at the end of the month (woo hoo), I'll be happy to send to you.

We are also planning a June Yosemite trip, but were not able to get a room at Yosemite Lodge 366 days out!! I could have had a room at the Awhanee, but at $535 per night, it was too expensive! I may try the "cabins" with a bath or we may not go!

Just returned from our 1st family camping trip to Yosemite. We drove from Nor Cal so I don't know about airlines, etc. The weather was wonderful, warm/hot during the days and cool at night (bring layers). We stayed at the Upper Pines camp site. We spent quite a bit of time at Curry Village for pizza, storytime, pool, etc. Tent cabins look very close together...could be privacy issues if you are put next to a loud family or one with small babies..

Probably the most beautiful place I've ever been. Mountains/clifts and waterfalls were georgeous in June! Husband did the treck up HalfDome, I stayed back with the kids (ages 2 and 4).

Have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter