Please tell me that I won't regret this...

CheshireKitty,

I know how you feel. We had our entire trip planned out and then the free dining came out and it really was aggravating in a way. We knocked ourselves out to see if we could take advantage of it in any way, but in the end, decided to stay with our original plan. It came out about the same in terms of money except for the dining, and we were very happy with it before the offer came out - I just had to do a reality check that it was still a great plan, and we're all good again.

BTW, the BWV are great. You'll be very happy. And the location can't be beat.

Hope you have a great time!

Dean said:
It might cost that much if you were able to add it, but that's not necessarily the value of it. IMO, the value for many is about 1/2 to 2/3 that but it depends on how you'd use it, how you normally order, how long your stay is and the like.

1/2? You're kidding, right? You would be very hard pressed to only spend $35 a day for a couple eating thier meals at WDW. You could maybe spend less if you eat breakfast in the room, usually eat at counter service places or commonly share meals. Sure, some people do, but most people don't. Most people schedule a character meal here or there. Most people eat at a table-service meal now and then. If the value is only 1/2-2/3 for you then say that. The cost of the dining plan is $35 per adult. If you won't use it ... you don't have to. For the rest of us who enjoy the expensive buffets and the lovely food at the California Grill and Narcoossee's the value far exceeds the $35 per person.

RE AP and DDE....

We are staying for 8 nights and qualify for the DVC AP discount, which a renter wouldn't

Price of 7 day hopper, expiry, plus pack (mousesavers) 274.

Price of AP with DVC Discount 314
Price of DDE 75
Price of 3 plus options (water park, PI, DQ - approximately) 70
Total cost 459

Difference = 185

Amount needed to spend for family of four on sit down meals that take DDE over eight days to break even = $925 (185/.2)

We might do it. Especially if we drink even more than we think we will. But I don't think its really likely that our two young kids plus us will spend an average of $132 (not including tax and tip) on the seven sit down meals we plan. For two people it may be even harder to break even.

We are actually buying ten day hoppers with expiration which is going to cut the costs of our next trip, where we will still have 3 days and two pluses on our old passes.

Don't get me wrong - both the DDE and the AP discount are really cool...but eight days is not likely to be the breakeven point - unless you also need and can get a room discount.

cheshirekitty, a lesson learned. Renting DVC points can be a significant savings. But Disney can offer (and often does offer for September) discounts that beat DVC rental rates. For that significant savings over rack rates, you are risking that there will not be a better deal that comes along. On the plus side, you are going to love BWVs - its a fantastic resort. And you didn't need all that extra food anyway - just sits on the hips.....

Having used the MYW dining plan on our last trip, I would like to assure you I would without a doubt give it up more than willingly to stay at BWV. The location is amazing and well worth the $$.

I can also attest to the fact that your waistline will definitely thank you for forgoing the dining plan. :teeth:

If I were you I would leave it as is and not worry about it anymore, seriously. Have a great trip! :wizard:

If this trip is your 2nd honeymoon trip, stick with the BWV. It is such a strp up from moderates. The balcony is wonderful at night and in the morning. In the moderates, we always had our curtain closed because people walk by the room and look in. In the deluxes, the balcony allows you to have natural light and air in the room.

Great place for breakfast or a late nightcap. Plus the kitchenette is nice to have.

You picked an awesome resort, have a great time!

crisi said:
RE AP and DDE....

We are staying for 8 nights and qualify for the DVC AP discount, which a renter wouldn't

Price of 7 day hopper, expiry, plus pack (mousesavers) 274.

Price of AP with DVC Discount 314
Price of DDE 75
Price of 3 plus options (water park, PI, DQ - approximately) 70
Total cost 459

Difference = 185

Amount needed to spend for family of four on sit down meals that take DDE over eight days to break even = $925 (185/.2)

We might do it. Especially if we drink even more than we think we will. But I don't think its really likely that our two young kids plus us will spend an average of $132 (not including tax and tip) on the seven sit down meals we plan. For two people it may be even harder to break even.

.......(snip)..........

crisi - FWIW, the price of the DDE when you have an AP or PAP is $50 (Passholders get a $25 discount). Assuming you considered the DVC discount on admission to PI/DQ/Waterparks, the breakeen point is actually $800 . If you didn't consider the discount, it is a few dollars less.

Best wishes-

I did consider the DVC discount. $800 for sit down meals (we intend to eat seven of them) with two adults and two little kids (which means we won't be eating too many expensive ones) is an awfully lot. People throw around the DDE as a way to make the AP with the discount work for people who don't stay long - and get the dining discount. For a long time I was wondering what I was missing, and have concluded most people just haven't run the numbers for a short trip with a small family. When we travel with other adults, it will make sense, but this trip, the break even point is too high to make it worth the bother.

And bother is part of it as well. Buying MYW tickets in advance is one transaction, throw them in my passporter and go. AP and DDE is getting the AP in advance, when I have the AP voucher calling for the DDE, then most likely picking up my DDE on site. The bother alone is worth $50 to me

We have definitely decided to stay at BWV!!! We figured it was where we really wanted to stay anyway...a much nicer resort and great location.

I did think about the amount of weight I would put on using the dining plan!!!

Thanks again for everyone's opinion!!!

robinb said:
1/2? You're kidding, right? You would be very hard pressed to only spend $35 a day for a couple eating thier meals at WDW. You could maybe spend less if you eat breakfast in the room, usually eat at counter service places or commonly share meals. Sure, some people do, but most people don't. Most people schedule a character meal here or there. Most people eat at a table-service meal now and then. If the value is only 1/2-2/3 for you then say that. The cost of the dining plan is $35 per adult. If you won't use it ... you don't have to. For the rest of us who enjoy the expensive buffets and the lovely food at the California Grill and Narcoossee's the value far exceeds the $35 per person.
No kidding at all. There are 2 basic approaches to look at the plan. One is to get it and try to figure out what would be the most money if you were paying cash and try to run up the highest bill possible. The other is to look at your normal habits and see how it fits in. Assuming the latter, and the DDE, it would be very easy to eat for 1/2 to 2/3 per day averaged over 6 days as in the original example. If your habits are such that you would spend as much or more, then use it if you can. Studies have shown that people start to slow down on these type of plans after about 3 days. The two of us can usually eat for $35 per day per person with 2 sit down meals rather than one counter service. But we tend to do the large meal at lunch, share meals, get water and rarely get regular appetizers (beyond an occasional soup or salad) or get deserts. We don't do this for the price as much as for the health of it. Remember that the signature restaurants are particularly bad choices and interesting that the 2 restaurants you named will require 2 dinner coupons each. Thus you'll actually be paying more than the $35 per person if you consume lunch and dinner out every day and do those restaurants. It just seems that everyone assumes it'll be a good deal and that is not necessarily so, though there are MANY exceptions.

Some examples. 50's Prime time for dinner sit down with Fried chicken and Salmon, 2 soups, tip, tax and drinks well less than $40 with the DDE. And almost all counter service options for 2 with tap water will be no more than $15, usually a little less, and a couple of them (AK) will give the DDE discount as well. But there's no doubt if you seek out the most expensive option to use the package on, you will get "your money's worth" so to speak, or at least you'll think you did. You mentioned buffets. You can do Biergarten for Lunch and Crystal Palace for Dinner for around $70 for two, the price goes over minimally if you order other drinks or if you reverse the order.

And if I read the plan correctly, you only get a single serving drink so for tea or soda, that wouldn't add all that much value unless you used your snack option. Now whether they stick to the wording might be an issue they may not for fountain type drinks. As I've said before, there are situations were you can truly get value. Here are some of the situations where it would be an extra value potentially. Say you had more than one room and got it for one room and not the other. Or you were staying for 3 nights at one resort under the plan and elsewhere without the plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter