Podcast Cruise: Is it a good deal?

IHeartTink04

DIS Veteran
Okay lets start by saying that I am trying to convince my DFi to go on the Podcast Cruise and it is not easy. First of all, he doesn't listen to the show so he thinks it is so weird that I want to go meet complete strangers. I tried to tell him that they do not feel like complete strangers to me but he still doesn't understand. So I tried the next approach, I told him it was a great deal and that we would never be able to go that cheap again. So he looks it up and compares the disneycruise.com to the quote that Dreams Unlimited travel gave me. There isn't much difference really.

Dreams: $2,262.96
DCL: $2,450.96

There has been a lot of talk about how this is a great deal but I hate to sound rude but I was expecting that it was going to be a little more signifcant. I almost have to agree with my DFi.

Can someone convince me otherwise?

By booking thru DU you will also receive an onboard credit which you could actually include in the savings. Also, there will be some other perks that will enhance your cruise experience like private parties, a special rate for pre/post cruise stays at the Dolphin, etc. Pete and John say they are working on some wonderful things -- and I have no doubts about them coming thru for us!!!

in my opinion even if DCL and D.U. were offering the exact same price, you will still get the on board credit and all of the amazing parties and events Pete is planning and that sets this WAY above any other Disney cruise. Not to mention the fact that you will be surrounded by hundreds of hard core Disney fans known as the Disboarders:-)

Boy I'm really talking myself into this cruise!!!

So book it already! ;)

You know what's going to happen: you're going to decide to go for it and find out the rates have gone up and then you'll be mad at yourself. If you're even contemplating it the tiniest bit...put a deposit down now. You've got up to 75-90 days prior to the cruise (depending on which category you book) to cancel with no penalty if you can't work something out with your kids' teachers.

Of course you know all that -- I'm just trying to give you a friendly little nudge...

in my opinion even if DCL and D.U. were offering the exact same price, you will still get the on board credit and all of the amazing parties and events Pete is planning and that sets this WAY above any other Disney cruise. Not to mention the fact that you will be surrounded by hundreds of hard core Disney fans known as the Disboarders:-)

What he said!!

Yes, you need to book, cyberbox!!

You really need to be there! There are just a lot of reasons to go. Besides being with a lot of Disers You will be on a Disney cruise! That in itself is a wonderful thing. I mean, really, we need to stop and smell the roses every once in a while, don't we!? :)

must we send the aliens with the probe to convince you?

Tell your DFi that Phog Allen was the one to give Disney the idea of a cruise line. I heard that somewhere.... I think ;)

You really can't overestimate the uniqueness of this particular cruise to a Podcast fan. THE TEAM WILL BE THERE!!! PARTIES WITH BAWB!!! That in itself should offset some of the concerns about "how good a deal" it is. You're getting more for less.

popcorn::

Pete, John, & Co... I'll accept my commission in Disney Dollars. Just no princesses, please.. ;)

Tell your DFi that Phog Allen was the one to give Disney the idea of a cruise line. I heard that somewhere.... I think ;)

You really can't overestimate the uniqueness of this particular cruise to a Podcast fan. THE TEAM WILL BE THERE!!! PARTIES WITH BAWB!!! That in itself should offset some of the concerns about "how good a deal" it is. You're getting more for less.

popcorn::

Pete, John, & Co... I'll accept my commission in Disney Dollars. Just no princesses, please.. ;)

I don't think the Phog Allen trip will work, he is a Mizzou student and will graduate in May. I am the Jayhawk!:rotfl:

Isn't it enough that all of us will be there??? Who cares about the money.

Unfortunately it is not enough for my DFi...:sad2: but he said we could go for Christmas 2009 instead! I have always dreamed:cloud9: of going for Christmas so I guess it is a great substitute.

Strictly talking dollars and cents it is a good deal. Trust me, there are not big discounts to be had by booking a large group. In addition, commission amounts are not huge on 4 day cruises....between the onboard credit and all of the "extras" DU is not making huge profits on this one.

Unfortunately it is not enough for my DFi...:sad2: but he said we could go for Christmas 2009 instead! I have always dreamed:cloud9: of going for Christmas so I guess it is a great substitute.

I think it will be great to meet everyone. However, I tihnk it's going to be awesome to see all that the podcast has to offer. It's a once in a lifetime trip because of what will be offered, I think. I'm sure Christmas would be beautiful, too.

If you've already made your mind up, then it doesn't matter anyway BUT I have to put my two cents in here. Christmas in Disney is magic, no doubt but it is there each and every year and gets bigger and better as the years go by. But if you (like many of us here) are big fans of the show, you will really regret not going on this cruise if you had the opportunity. On to the price... Disney Cruise Line no longer offers discounts. The best prices come from booking early and as the case here, group space. Add on to that the onboard credit and you've got the best deal you'll ever get on a Disney cruise. And that isn't even taking into account what Pete and the gang have planned for everyone!!! :yay: If you've never cruised Disney, it's an experience not to be missed. Something I noticed is that you've priced out a category 6. One way to save a bit of $$$ is to book a higher stateroom category. On our first DCL we had a Cat 6, our second was a Cat 9, and our third a Cat 10 - we've decided we can live with a Cat 10. A Cat 6 IS nice, don't get me wrong - but the price between a 6 and a 9 for this cruise (on the DU pricing) is $520 -- you can save $720 if you can live without the porthole. We found we aren't in the room enough to enjoy the verandah so we book a higher category and spend the extra $$$ at the spa or on the drink of the day :drinking1 I was going to end this by saying "to make a long story short" but oops! it's too long to say that -- so, to make a long story even longer, the parks will be there but I have a feeling this cruise will be a party that will go down is Dishistory. Come on and join us - all the cool kids are doing it! :upsidedow

~Stacy

I too was suprised to find this cruise quite a bit more pricey than I expected it should be considering it is a group rate at Tier 0 (I'm assuming it is anyway).

We did price it out but the timing (early May) just doesn't work well for pulling the kids out for four days. Plus prices are higher in May than in September when we usually go. In fact for this four night cruise even if we booked NOW we would only pay $300 less for a Cat. 8 than we paid for a Cat. 8 on a SOLD OUT 7 night cruise (booked less than a year out, obviously not tier 0):confused3 in Sept. of this year. It is also only a few hundred dollars less than the 4 night we took last year during spring break (identical category)...and is a whopping TWO THOUSAND dollars (identical cat.) more than the 3 night cat 4 we took this past Sept.
But then again I've been told not to expect to get another 3 night cruise in a Cat 4 for $1700 ever again (4 ppl).....

I don't know. The prices aren't BAD, they're just more than we're used to paying. As far as using Dreams though you can't beat it...great service and the onboard credit is awesome. I'm not toally counting it out....after all we'll probably have to book *something* wen we are onboard in Sept......;)

If he doesn't understand the podcast fan world.... I say tell him bye bye before the cruise and go have fun, then go get him back after :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter