Policy change Oceaneer Club and Lab

I feel like some parents want to believe this to be bespoke babysitting, when it's more like a free-for-all holding pen.

Truth. And I think this is the reason my daughter didn't like the Club or Lab. She always complained that it was crowded and chaotic. She was overjoyed when she got to be in Edge and it was so much calmer and they made more of an effort to engage the kids in the activities. She loves Vibe even more, actually and has made some great friends. But those people who say they never see their kids? We weren't those people until my daughter went to Edge.

Why would they not feel comfortable in the Edge when it's the same age group? Maybe it's the parents who don't feel comfortable giving their kids some independence.

Other cruise lines have set age groups and stick to it. There's no way to make everyone happy.
I feel this...all of this...I also think some of it is forced by the parent when they have a younger sibling. The parents want the older child there with the younger sibling to keep an eye, help if necessary, for their own peace of mind.

Last edited:
Received an email from DCL confirming a policy change:

We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Disney Wish and are writing with important information about our onboard youth activities spaces.

Based on Guest feedback, and to enhance the youth activities experience for our youngest and tween guests, we are updating the age range for Disney’s Oceaneer Club and Disney’s Oceaneer Lab. The revised age range will begin on sailings that depart on or after December 21, 2023.

Disney’s Oceaneer Club and Disney’s Oceaneer Lab
The age range in Disney’s Oceaneer Club and Disney’s Oceaneer Lab will change from 3 to 12 years of age to 3 to 10 years of age. Kids of all ages can continue to experience these spaces during Open House hours. During all other times, kids 3 to 10 years of age will have Disney’s Oceaneer Club and Disney’s Oceaneer Lab reserved just for them, with specially guided activities for children ages 3-4 years old.

Edge
Children 11 and 12 years of age may visit Edge. Edge will continue to be available to tweens 11 to 14 years of age.

Vibe
Vibe will continue to provide Guests ages 14 to 17 with their own special place where they can connect with other teens.

During our youth activities Open House times, Guests of all ages are permitted in youth activity spaces, including Disney’s Oceaneer Club, Disney’s Oceaneer Lab, Edge and Vibe.

Guests with children 11 and 12 years old no longer need to complete youth activities registration as part of Online Check-in for these children. If you have a child within this age range and have already completed online registration for Disney’s Oceaneer Club or Disney’s Oceaneer Lab, know that your child will attend Edge. Guests with children 3 to 10 years of age may continue to utilize the online youth activities registration process as part of Online Check-in.

We appreciate you sailing with us and look forward to creating magical memories at sea for your family.

Sincerely,

The Cast and Crew

I was told it will be unlikely 10s can move up due to increased numbers in Edge. But keep asking the CMs onboard as there may be less tweens onboard that particular sailing
The Edge space on the Magic and Wonder is so small. Not sure how that's going to work on kid-packed sailings.

My guess is they will increase activities outside of room
Yes, this. Plus I am sure DCL already has a good idea of how many 11-12’s typically attend Edge vs Club/Lab, as well as how many do both. It may be a small percentage of 11-12’s who are impacted by this decision with most already attending Edge. Therefore, not a huge addition of bodies to accommodate anyway.

Yes, this. Plus I am sure DCL already has a good idea of how many 11-12’s typically attend Edge vs Club/Lab, as well as how many do both. It may be a small percentage of 11-12’s who are impacted by this decision with most already attending Edge. Therefore, not a huge addition of bodies to accommodate anyway.
True. And if they trade the Edge 10s for the new 11/12 it might be close to a wash many times.

I was told it will be unlikely 10s can move up due to increased numbers in Edge. But keep asking the CMs onboard as there may be less tweens onboard that particular sailing
Are you hearing the same thing on your ship about more YA counselors getting moved to Edge from the Lab with more Club/Lab counselors needing to get desk trained to make up the extra hours?

Are you hearing the same thing on your ship about more YA counselors getting moved to Edge from the Lab with more Club/Lab counselors needing to get desk trained to make up the extra hours?
Yes it all seems a little chaotic, trying to get everything sorted in just a few days. Everyone is anxious about what will happen on that first cruise and people are worried about tense situations with Guests and nothing they can do about fixing the situation

Has anyone experienced the change for the 3-4 littles? I have a now 4 year old and we cruise next month on Magic. We've always been a big fan of the nursery but now since he's aged out I'm not sure how I feel about it. For reference he's an only child, been full potty trained since 2 and is used to being around kids his age, not older kids. So it's either try it out or keep him with us the whole time which I don't mind of course because we always have lots of fun.

Has anyone experienced the change for the 3-4 littles? I have a now 4 year old and we cruise next month on Magic. We've always been a big fan of the nursery but now since he's aged out I'm not sure how I feel about it. For reference he's an only child, been full potty trained since 2 and is used to being around kids his age, not older kids. So it's either try it out or keep him with us the whole time which I don't mind of course because we always have lots of fun.

I haven't personally but I've seen reports that they are being separated from the older grouping of kids.

I haven't personally but I've seen reports that they are being separated from the older grouping of kids.
This is what I've seen as well. We have a 3 year old and 5 year old and were thinking they'd be together, but it is what it is. They are separate at school (pre-k 3 and Kindergarten) so they will be fine and still have a blast.

Can kids sign themselves out from Edge? Can parents say they’re not allowed to? My oldest is turning 11 this summer. I’m not comfortable with him being able to wander around a ship with a bunch of strangers by himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter