Political Correctness Run Amok

I still teach.

The Pledge is said in my school (public, urban school in NYC)each day. I don't say it and I do not force my students to say it.

I covered my blackboard with white contact paper. It is now a giant whiteboard that I can use dry erase markers on.

This is the first time I have heard of either word being offensive.
Add me to the list of folks calling bull on this topic.

It looks like it is about time for us to start screaming about the "war" on Christmas.o_O:sad2::rolleyes1

That is a really good idea for teachers who don't have a whiteboard in their room and want to use one.

I don't believe this is true. It just doesn't pass the smell test. I don't necessarily mean Domo is lying. Maybe whoever in administration told this to Domo was being a troll or goofing around.

Last edited:

And we said the Pledge of Allegiance, complete with "Under God" every morning.

I have never seen, not once, any public school that has banned the Pledge of Allegiance. Technically there was a ruling in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in 2002, but that was reversed in 2004.

And even if they did, why is this a problem? Students are in school to learn, not to become zombies of the state.

Oh, right. This reminds me: So, who had actual black boards? Ours were green -- this was the early 80's to early 90's.

mLIpdo4-9A0BrSmnUfRDpOg.jpg

Ours were always black until the last district I lived in which had a brand new high school. They were green there.
My elementary school was build in 1918, but must have been recently renovated when I started school in the early 80's.

Unless I am just misremembering my elementary school compared to my children's schools and the chalkboards in the children's wing of my church.

Mocking people who seek facts instead of taking internet claims at face value? Bizarre.

Not being interested in doing a research paper for simply making a statement that the original post, given the current political atmosphere, is in fact believable. Bizarre.

He/she never claimed anything as fact but only stated "I believe it" which, at least in theirs and honestly mine too, opinion is a valid response.

I can never understand why every little discussion has to turn into a thesis paper complete with bibliography citing sources. No one can just have an opinion anymore.

Not being interested in doing a research paper for simply making a statement that the original post, given the current political atmosphere, is in fact believable. Bizarre.

He/she never claimed anything as fact but only stated "I believe it" which, at least in theirs and honestly mine too, opinion is a valid response.

I can never understand why every little discussion has to turn into a thesis paper complete with bibliography citing sources. No one can just have an opinion anymore.

Exactly. Facts smacts. Who needs them? Always trying to rain on the fear monger's parade.

I agree with the others who say the "blackboard/whiteboard" myth is just not a thing. Nobody here has been told, in person, not to say "blackboard/whiteboard" and is basing that entirely off of silly internet rumors. And even if you could point to someone, somewhere, who was foolish enough to say once that using blackboard to describe a board that is black is racist (I'm one of the most PC people you will meet, and I agree it isn't racist, of course, and neither is "blackbird" or "blackberry" for that matter), how does that one silly person somewhere add up to "ruining the country" the way OP says?

It seems like what you are saying is, it's opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

But that implies that you think "opinion" can't be wrong. When in fact "opinion" can be and often is wrong.

For example:
If someone on the Internet states that "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is better that Pirates of the Caribbean".
OK, fine we can all have a spirited debate on the issue with opinions for and against 7DMT being the better attractions each being valid.

However, if the same person says "Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is better that Pirates of the Caribbean because 7DMT can take more riders per hour and has a shorter line"
Then their "opinion" is wrong.

That's what is happening in this case. Unsupported facts are being used to justify an opinion.

It seems like what you are saying is, it's opinion. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

But that implies that you think "opinion" can't be wrong. When in fact "opinion" can be and often is wrong.

No that's not what I'm doing or saying at all.

"I believe it" is not an opinion, it is a fact. WHY I believe it may very well be an opinion. But the fact is I, or in this case he/she that I seem to be defending here, believes it. That's all.

No that's not what I'm doing or saying at all.

"I believe it" is not an opinion, it is a fact. WHY I believe it may very well be an opinion. But the fact is I, or in this case he/she that I seem to be defending here, believes it. That's all.
Which brings us back to where this started. I never questioned "if", I questioned "Why". Clearly this black/white board issue never happened as presented by the original poster. So why continue to believe it did? That's what I don't understand.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter