Poly 7 Months out?

HairyChest

DIS Veteran
How is the availability for the Poly 7 months out for standard studios? I’m thinking of buying points at Saratoga but staying at the poly the begining of December and in May

How is the availability for the Poly 7 months out for standard studios? I’m thinking of buying points at Saratoga but staying at the poly the begining of December and in May
We have been successful in the past at 7 months to get the Poly standard studio, even during F&W.:thumbsup2 This year though at 7 months, couldn't get it for our October trip. We wanted either BWV, BCV or Poly. I immediately waitlisted Poly and BCV and much to my surprise, waitlist matched a few days ago for our upcoming trip. Wow, I was completely surprised when I opened up my e mail in the morning!:dance3: SO EXCITED! Poly is such a beautiful resort; we love it! Good Luck on your purchasing decision! :goodvibes

At this time 7 months is going to be much easier to get in May then early Dec. Early Dec is extremely popular for most WDW DVC resorts and Poly is no exception. I would only buy SSR if you are happier staying there sometimes. If you are only buying with the idea that you will always trade into the Poly you probably will be very disappointed over time. Though May isn’t nearly as hard as the fall (including your early Dec plans) there is no guarantee this won’t change. As more and more resorts are built (Riviera in the parks currently) trading into your non home resort tends to get harder as you are competing with more and more members. Again I think based on current booking patterns you have a great shot at May trips but will be less successful for Dec. If you just want to stay somewhere and will be happy even if that means SSR then I’d say buy there. If you will be disappointed every time you aren’t able to trade into the Poly then I’d spend the extra $ and buy there. It is more expensive obviously but you do also get an additional 12 years on your contract vs SSR (which may increase its value to you).

For 2018, the Poly studios were open at 7 months out for all of May and were gone for first half of Dec. Be aware that if you want early Dec, you should not purchase SSR with any expectation of getting anywhere else at 7 months out. The first week of Dec is THE highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW and the second week of Dec is the third highest (Christmas week is second)

It doesn't matter how well 7 months availability works now, but only how it will work in the future. Unfortunately, it is likely to get much harder.

Disney has discovered the ability to make very 'point intensive' units, like the Poly Bungalows, which require almost nothing extra for them to build, but from which they can sell a TON of points. So they get many many more sales, and people who buy those points mostly use them on regular studios, and rooms elsewhere. (For evidence of this, just look at the very frequent Bungalow 'availability' when everything else at Poly has been long gone. There are only 20 Bungalow units! But 25% of Poly points are Bungalow sales!) The result is, it gets harder and harder to book ANYWHERE at 7 months, and this trend is only going to get worse.

Disney thinks they have discovered the goose that lays the 'Golden DVC Egg' with point expensive units like this, and they will keep doing it at Riviera, and all future projects. Causing people to shift more and more of their points elsewhere.

BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY, or you will just get more and more disappointed and frustrated. I recommend somewhere like Animal Kingdom Lodges. Beautiful buildings and units, a TON of contracts available to buy, and doesn't cost THAT much more than SSR. You will be happier in the long run.

Last edited:
For 2018, the Poly studios were open at 7 months out for all of May and were gone for first half of Dec. Be aware that if you want early Dec, you should not purchase SSR with any expectation of getting anywhere else at 7 months out. The first week of Dec is THE highest DVC demand week of the year at WDW and the second week of Dec is the third highest (Christmas week is second)

JUST THOUGHT THE ABOVE POST SHOULD BE REPEATED FOR EMPHASIS!

Those who want to visit WDW in early December should plan on staying at a home resort, and should book the stay during their priority period. That's just the way it is now and most likely will be for the foreseeable future. Yes, there are exceptions, but they are far from common (and usually involve booking a 1 bedroom or waitlisting/stalking the website for cancellations)..

I want to stay at POLY oct 2019. I have VGC points. I need to get 3 studios (eeek). I’m really nervous about trying to get that (or anything really) during that time. I’ve never taken my family to DW so I’m a bit of a rookie. Do people ever trade points/make reservations for each other?

I want to stay at POLY oct 2019. I have VGC points. I need to get 3 studios (eeek). I’m really nervous about trying to get that (or anything really) during that time. I’ve never taken my family to DW so I’m a bit of a rookie. Do people ever trade points/make reservations for each other?
October high demand with F&W and low point costs (Fall Frenzy), so you likely won’t have much luck at 7 months.

Good news is VGC is a “premium” resort so I would recommend renting those points out and then renting a PVB owners points for the three rooms you need.

I have never traded points. Or transferred points. But that is one option.

However, there are also people on this board that will rent you the points to get the units you want using priority scheduling in October 2019. Or you can go through David’s or some other commercial rental agency. I am sure it is available. However it Will cost you somewhere between 15 and $20 per point.

Since villas at Grand Californian is so popular and so high demand I suggest you rent out those points for $16-$18 per point and take the money to purchase points from a current owner at the Polynesian. Perhaps David’s would handle both things for you. Though he would only probably pay you $14 per point for your grand Californian points.

Heck, I love Grand Californian. And I own at Poly. Maybe I would consider trading you points straight across.

The point is, you can get it done but not by getting it at the seven month window. It will require a bit of shifting around on your part. And if you did it that way, you could feel very secure and not have to worry about the seventh month window. And then be disappointed

One poly studio at 7 months would be luck in October. Three is wildly unlikely.
Love going in October, but certainly difficult to get availability with popularity of F&W, Columbus Day weekend holiday that many extend, Toy Story Land, Star Wars next year, Riviera coming in '19...BCV and BWV are also so difficult to get because of the convenience to Epcot.

Love going in October, but certainly difficult to get availability with popularity of F&W, Columbus Day weekend holiday that many extend, Toy Story Land, Star Wars next year, Riviera coming in '19...BCV and BWV are also so difficult to get because of the convenience to Epcot.
Honestly, I would almost worry about 3 of any studio at 7 in October. Including Saratoga.

It is getting harder and harder to get non-home resort at 7 months out. Buy where you want to stay. Fortunately we love AKV and will always be happy there, but it is nice to stay at Poly sometimes, but I am currently waitlisted for the standard view on the first night of a four night trip in May. If it doesn't come through we will stay in a lake view room for one night and change to the standard view for the remaining three nights, a pain, but it's a no kid trip, so less of a problem.

We have been successful in the past at 7 months to get the Poly standard studio, even during F&W.:thumbsup2 This year though at 7 months, couldn't get it for our October trip. We wanted either BWV, BCV or Poly. I immediately waitlisted Poly and BCV and much to my surprise, waitlist matched a few days ago for our upcoming trip. Wow, I was completely surprised when I opened up my e mail in the morning!:dance3: SO EXCITED! Poly is such a beautiful resort; we love it! Good Luck on your purchasing decision! :goodvibes
When is your upcoming trip?

I just changed my May reservation from AKL (home) to Poly at the 7mo mark (today) and all worked out fine. I was having issues until I was told that we can only book 7 days at a time at non-home resorts at the 7mo. mark. I'm going for 8 days so I have to add the final day of my trip tomorrow.

I just changed my May reservation from AKL (home) to Poly at the 7mo mark (today) and all worked out fine. I was having issues until I was told that we can only book 7 days at a time at non-home resorts at the 7mo. mark. I'm going for 8 days so I have to add the final day of my trip tomorrow.
May isn't that hard to get at seven months out. I've gotten the GFV twice in May.

May isn't that hard to get at seven months out. I've gotten the GFV twice in May.

I originally wanted GFV but they only had 5 of the 8 days I wanted. I may do a split stay, but I'll have to see if the days are still available to book early next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter