Poly Expansion Watch

We typically stay at the lower point resorts, but we’re thinking of splurging to try the poly later this year. Do you think construction will negatively impact the experience and not make it worth it? or not make a difference since it’s the opposite end of the resort?

We typically stay at the lower point resorts, but we’re thinking of splurging to try the poly later this year. Do you think construction will negatively impact the experience and not make it worth it? or not make a difference since it’s the opposite end of the resort?

Unless you plan to regularly walk the path to Grand Floridian…that is where the joint fitness center is…I honestly don’t see it being an impact on the experience.

Plus, I will be surprised to see it start sooner than 2023.

I see so many folks complaining about the visual aesthetics of the new building. All we have is one rendering of the artist interpretation based off, what I assume is the architecture building concept. I really have no idea where the artist may get the details from, I guess the blueprints. My point being everyone seems to be basing an assumption this is horrible off this one drawing that even for me I could not make out the pool having a waterfall or after looking closer looks to be the shimmer of the water surface. I will place judgment when I see the final product. Yes I agree Disney has a long history or cutting corners but in the long run I have also seen many projects with the end result that was awesome. Is this not why we are fans already here? also I truly do not feel this looks to be reflection 2.0 as many folks think. The “Polynesian” just do not have one ‘style’ of a building. This is to represent yet another aspect to bring together the vision of the full resort. I am looking forward to the completed project and have confidence they will delivery as only Disney can.

The construction will likely NOT affect any DVC rooms, as they're on the opposite end of the property. You'll probably hear the boats more than the construction.

Tuvalu, Fiji, Aotearoa and Tonga buildings will definitely be affected though.

I've done some comparing of this concept art to the depictions of the new DVC tower being built at the Disneyland Hotel. I'm convinced the top center of the Poly artwork shows exactly one Grand Villa. I don't see anything else that could be (maybe on the monorail-side of the resort?).

The DL Tower is supposed to have only two grand villas, shown here at the top left part of the tower.

I cropped the top of the Poly art side-by-side with the DL Tower grand villas (I also flipped these left to right so they are facing the same way). And the first-floor layout of the DL Tower villa is below. Huge balcony. If I'm right, then it would appear that two studios would be flanking the GV on either side.

DL Tower is limited on the balconies and views because they are so tight against neighbors. It's why a lot of rooms don't have balconies at all. Poly2 could have balconies on any side of the building. It is much less constrained.

Visiting WDW this week and went by the proposed site for Poly2. It's actually not that big with the monorail line really limiting how far you can build out from the beach side. I have a hard time visualizing how they would add a parking lot to this building as well with the monorail line and road on the backside. This makes me think that it will be an extension of PVB and not a separate condo association as I just don't think they can fit everything needed for a standalone resort into that space.

It's big enough to fit a VGF main building into it, possibly, but not the parking lot and other minor amenities.

It would also make sense to add more than just studios to PVB so that is a more attractive option for larger groups and families.

Visiting WDW this week and went by the proposed site for Poly2. It's actually not that big with the monorail line really limiting how far you can build out from the beach side. I have a hard time visualizing how they would add a parking lot to this building as well with the monorail line and road on the backside. This makes me think that it will be an extension of PVB and not a separate condo association as I just don't think they can fit everything needed for a standalone resort into that space.

It's big enough to fit a VGF main building into it, possibly, but not the parking lot and other minor amenities.

It would also make sense to add more than just studios to PVB so that is a more attractive option for larger groups and families.

I agree things look tight, but none of that plays any role in condo association decision. They don't need it to have its own anything...just like BRV and CCV are different but share everything with WL.

It can be its own condo association, and still share all the Poly amenities that are there now. They are going to have to figure something out with the parking, no matter how it enters the DVC system...whether part of PVB or not. It will be interesting when plans are released for the project!!!

I agree things look tight, but none of that plays any role in condo association decision. They don't need it to have its own anything...just like BRV and CCV are different but share everything with WL.

It can be its own condo association, and still share all the Poly amenities that are there now. They are going to have to figure something out with the parking, no matter how it enters the DVC system...whether part of PVB or not. It will be interesting when plans are released for the project!!!
Good point about BRV and CCV. I thought about that after I posted.

My wishful thinking is that it will be part of the same association with no restrictions. It would make it a lot more interesting for me to have the option of the old Poly along with whatever is offered with Poly2.

If you think that the Riviera restrictions haven't been a major PITA for DVC

Eh it can account for approximately a 5-10% downturn in sales compared to if resale restrictions didn't exist. I think the PITA part is actually the resale value so far has looked fairly strong. Disney was likely looking to kill the value of the resale enough to make up that 5-10% shortfall by a wider margin on flips in the future.

Also Disney has all the data but its possible they know their current shortfall in sales is due to attendance. If Disney wants they can easily point to pre-pandemic when RIV was outselling various historical resorts over its first 12 month period going in to shutdown seeing big spikes in sales once the resort was open.

Right now DLT is on the horizon on the future of resale restrictions. That is a spot where they actively will need to declare yes or no to the restrictions.

Disney, please stop with the “this design was part of the original Polynesian design plans” stance. Because guess what…those original plans were scrapped for what is the current Polynesian. And for good reason, too.
Actually the reason the original tower wasn’t included is because of financial restraints. Walt himself wanted it when planning began. I kinda hate the original design but do like the new location and design.

Attachments

• 81DC519B-84BB-40B4-B5D0-B728E4B9756D.jpeg
    81DC519B-84BB-40B4-B5D0-B728E4B9756D.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi.

I'm not sure it has been spoken about regarding when ground breaking and construction, but the FB groups I am on, has brides that were suppose to be getting married at the Poly in October and November, getting phone calls and moved already due to construction.
They were given $1000 off their total. One was moved to GF chapel and the other asked to be moved to BW.

Last edited:
I apologize if this has already been asked, but have these rooms gone on sale yet, and if not, is there a date when they will be going on sale?

I apologize if this has already been asked, but have these rooms gone on sale yet, and if not, is there a date when they will be going on sale?
No and not until either late 2023 or early 2024 depending on the actual opening date of the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter