Poly or GF for Surprise trip for Hubby

kslo69

Mouseketeer
I am planning a surprise trip to Disney world from January 4-7 for my husbands 50th birthday. Trying to decide between Poly and GF (both would be lake view.) I was looking for opinions on which would be better, especially for watching fireworks at night. we have been to Disney many times but this would be the first for us for either hotel. I am staying using DVC points and I can book early June. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

We love the GFV one bedroom villas, very luxurious. We haven't stayed in the studios there because we don't do studios with only one queen bed. Polynesian is only studios (unless you have a boatload of points and can book the bungalows). You are arriving and departing before the marathon, so you should be able to find something to book at seven months out. Both are going to be hard to book (have you checked the RAT to see what is available at this point).

I just checked the RAT and there is only partial availability for the GFV studio, but the one bedroom is open. Polynesian is open for the standard studio, but not the lake view studio.

You can watch the fireworks from Narcoossee if you dine there (it's really nice). If you stay at the GF, you can walk over to the Polynesian or dine at 'Ohana. It takes about 5-10 minutes to walk between the two resorts (we were just at the GFV and ate dinner one night at 'Ohana).

looks like I may have to change dates to 1/5-1/8 for studio. the studio for both poly and gf only have one queen bed?? that could be a deal breaker for me :(

looks like I may have to change dates to 1/5-1/8 for studio. the studio for both poly and gf only have one queen bed?? that could be a deal breaker for me :(

Yes, DVC studios have one queen bed. If you want a king in DVC, you'd have to book, at the very least, a 1-bedroom (which Poly doesn't have)

For fireworks view your only real guarantee when staying dvc is poly, lake views at vgf are highly likely to be a view of poly and the wedding chapel.

*Edit
Here's a link to our VGF review if you are interested (lake view actually):
https://www.mainstreetchat.com/2018/02/20/574/

We are currently working on our PVB review but I can definitely vouch for the lake view on the higher floors

1st Floor will have an obstructed view (Bungalows in the way)

Last edited:
Practical matters notwithstanding, is your DH a Tiki bar kind of guy? I'd say GF is a nicer resort but if you're a fan of the Poly theming that have that in boat loads.:)

OKW has the only studio on WDW property with two real queen beds. None of the studios have king beds. But the GFV one bedroom is really, really nice. We were just in one last week.

Hi Can someone check RAT and see whats available at POLY and GF for Jan 5-8. The person I rent points from cant book anything for me until June 5th and I am wondering what is still available. Does RAT tell you how many rooms are available for those dates?

Hi Can someone check RAT and see whats available at POLY and GF for Jan 5-8. The person I rent points from cant book anything for me until June 5th and I am wondering what is still available. Does RAT tell you how many rooms are available for those dates?
If you can't book this very minute, it's not worth the time to look because that villa might be gone five minutes later. The RAT only tells you there is availability, not how many are available. Besides, the DIS has asked us not to do that.

The owner you are booking with can check the RAT, just not book until 7 months out because they don't have GFV or PVB points.

Both are Beautiful Resorts. You can't go wrong either way...but if I had to choose, I'd pick the GF. However I have stayed at and love both!

just have to keep fingers crossed poly still has availability on June 5th for Jan 5-8. So nervous. Really want to surprise Hubby for his 50th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter