"Pooh" sized on Haunted Mansion

twindaddy

DIS Veteran
Hello all,
I am a regular, kinda, over on the cruise boards, but thought I would drop in here to ask a question. I am just back my four days at DLR. It was awesome all around, very tolerable crowds and weather, and the new entrance to DCA looks AWESOME! Its a bit of a bottleneck walking over to Condor Flats, but workable.

Anways, to the question, I am a big guy. No, really, I could stand to loose a small person in weight, but Disneyland has always been great. I fit fine in the back seat on Splash, no problem on Screamin, a tad tight on Soarin but doable. This time around I rode Ariel with no problem, Buzz fine as always, but man I nearly got squised by the bar on the Haunted Mansion. It seems to curve inward now, I dont even recall it there before, but I really had to do some gymnastics tricks to get the Doom Buggy thing to lock (they had to stop the ride for me, yep, I was that guy). Has anyone else had this experience, I know I probably gained some pounds since I last visited in March, but to go from no issue at all to nearly not being able to ride was odd. Any other larger folks notice a change, or was it just me?

:confused3 Well, they haven't changed the doombuggies since your last trip in March, so I'm not sure why they felt different for you this time other than the variable you mentioned :confused: Sorry!

Hello all,
I am a regular, kinda, over on the cruise boards, but thought I would drop in here to ask a question. I am just back my four days at DLR. It was awesome all around, very tolerable crowds and weather, and the new entrance to DCA looks AWESOME! Its a bit of a bottleneck walking over to Condor Flats, but workable.

Anways, to the question, I am a big guy. No, really, I could stand to loose a small person in weight, but Disneyland has always been great. I fit fine in the back seat on Splash, no problem on Screamin, a tad tight on Soarin but doable. This time around I rode Ariel with no problem, Buzz fine as always, but man I nearly got squised by the bar on the Haunted Mansion. It seems to curve inward now, I dont even recall it there before, but I really had to do some gymnastics tricks to get the Doom Buggy thing to lock (they had to stop the ride for me, yep, I was that guy). Has anyone else had this experience, I know I probably gained some pounds since I last visited in March, but to go from no issue at all to nearly not being able to ride was odd. Any other larger folks notice a change, or was it just me?

I've noticed it...and I'm on a losing weight streak so there is less of me to squish in.....but after the first time having that rail smash into me and stop dead (pun intended), I figured out that if I fold my arms in front of my tummy it stops at my arms.....then I can release them and have an inch of room to breath throughout the ride. I tried holding just my hand out to stop it but got yelled at by the CM.

I know I've read about more and more people getting up during the ride so I'm guess they've tightened up the hold on you because that is the least dangerous ride....only time I can think that the rail is even necessary is when it whips you around and tilts you back....I suppose no rail at all you could go flying, but it's definitely not necessary to pin me back for the whole ride for just that one little dip. Sheesh.

Your Doombuggy at the HM at DLR is much more spacious than the one at MK. In particular, the Doombuggies in the MK are noticeably shorter... I kept having to lean forward to avoid whacking my head.

I use the same trick ConnieB mentioned; otherwise, my DH pulls it back so tight I want to scream. I've also been know to put my backpack purse on my lap and then pull it out later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter