• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pop Century Internet Access?

jenniferreich

Mouseketeer
Hi! We leave for WDW in 11 days, yippee! We'll be bringing our laptop, and I'd like to check email a few times (via Verizon's site). We're staying at Pop Century. Does anyone know, how do we get internet access--perhaps we get a code a check in? How long does the code last for? I know we need to bring a cable. Is there anything else I might not be thinking of?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! Jennifer

You do have to pay for internet access, and I am pretty sure it lasts for 24 hours. I think it was something like $9.99 a day. I don't remember the exact amount. You call the front desk to get the code. If you do the timing right when you start it, it can be like two nights instead of just one day. Say you get it Monday at 9:00 pm, you will be able to check your e-mail again Tuesday night before 9:00 pm.

I tell you I think the $9.99 per day access is one of the biggest rip offs at disney. I dont mind paying for access, but $10 a day? come on people want to view there photos ect taking on there photopass card and cant unless they pay $9.99 for 24 hrs.

I would sign up for $25 extra for the whole week. I paid the $10 per day for most of our trip this past year. Usually wasnt online for more than 20 min during 24 hr period.

Hi! We leave for WDW in 11 days, yippee! We'll be bringing our laptop, and I'd like to check email a few times (via Verizon's site). We're staying at Pop Century. Does anyone know, how do we get internet access--perhaps we get a code a check in? How long does the code last for? I know we need to bring a cable. Is there anything else I might not be thinking of?

Thanks so much in advance for your help! Jennifer

High speed internet access is available in all WDW resort rooms via an ethernet cable. The cable is provided for you; in Value resorts like Pop it is permanently attached to the wall jack, while in other resort levels it's usually in a bag in the closet.

Access is $9.95 per 24-hour period. You do not have to enable it for your entire stay; you can enable it 24 hours at a time, as you need it (i.e. from 5pm today till 5pm tomorrow, then skip a day or two and do it again).

Enabling the access is done entirely in the room. Simply plug in the ethernet cord, open your web browser, and it will automatically go to the login page. Follow the instructions on the login page and you'll enable the connection for 24 hours and be online in a few seconds. After 24 hours the connection will automatically be disabled; simply log in again later for another 24-hour period.

I tell you I think the $9.99 per day access is one of the biggest rip offs at disney. I dont mind paying for access, but $10 a day? come on people want to view there photos ect taking on there photopass card and cant unless they pay $9.99 for 24 hrs.

I would sign up for $25 extra for the whole week. I paid the $10 per day for most of our trip this past year. Usually wasnt online for more than 20 min during 24 hr period.

I certainly agree that a discounted length-of-stay option would be welcome, but $10 per day is standard for any hotel that charges for internet access.

As for PhotoPass, you can view your PhotoPass pics at one of the viewing stations at the 4 theme parks, Downtown Disney, or the second floor lobby of Grand Floridian, all for free, and WITHOUT entering your PhotoPass cards into an account - important, since entering a PhotoPass card into an account starts the 30-day countdown to the pics' expiration.

How many hotels do charge for internet now?

For the most part, it's higher-end hotels that charge for internet, and it's thrown in free mostly at cheaper places like Ramadas. But that's not an immutable law of the universe; there are some cheap places that charge for it and some expensive places that throw it in free.

The charges I listed above apply to all WDW resorts. The WDW resorts with convention facilities, such as Contemporary and CSR, have wi-fi in the convention and lobby areas, but again, it's not free; the wi-fi service costs $5.99 for the first 60 minutes, or $9.95 for 24 hours.

Are we able to dial a 1-800 dial up internet service from a room in POP? If so would this be considered a local call?

Are we able to dial a 1-800 dial up internet service from a room in POP? If so would this be considered a local call?

Local calls are free, but I'm pretty sure the last time I read the policies at WDW resorts, 800 numbers were not free, nor were calling card calls.

However, check with your provider to see if they have any local numbers in the Orlando/Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista area.

know if the McDonalds by the All Stars has a wifi hotspot?

Nope. Nor does the McDonalds at Downtown Disney, nor the McDonalds at the Crossroads shopping plaza at the end of Hotel Plaza Blvd. I looked them up on McDonalds' web site.

We're going to try calling the local number for the first time next month. We have AT&T service. I looked on their website and got the access number. In Orlando it has to a 407 number. They had instructions about how to go in and set up your computer for dial-up service. I tried it at home with our local access number and it works. With AT&T, you can get up to 20 free hours per billing period before they start charging you. I hope it works next month.

The Denny's (about 2 buildings down from the Crossroads plaza) has free Wifi - we were in search for it in July.

My son used it for his ipod and DS downloads in July (Denny's Wifi).

McDonalds (crossroads) has wifi i think, but you have to pay for it.

I had internet in my condo for my laptop, but at our place, head's up - it was PER laptop, not for the room or multiple units! (Paid $9+ a day) -- stayed off-site - not sure at Disney, haven't used it there yet, but most hotels, when you pay for it, you're paying PER unit. I had to sign up with a credit card. If you don't have a credit card, you CAN go to a drugstore and buy a preloaded credit card and use that to pay for it. I finally did that for my son's ipod after awhile.

(We were in Florida for 2+ weeks in July)

Local calls are free, but I'm pretty sure the last time I read the policies at WDW resorts, 800 numbers were not free, nor were calling card calls.

However, check with your provider to see if they have any local numbers in the Orlando/Kissimmee/Lake Buena Vista area.

Nope. Nor does the McDonalds at Downtown Disney, nor the McDonalds at the Crossroads shopping plaza at the end of Hotel Plaza Blvd. I looked them up on McDonalds' web site.

The Denny's (about 2 buildings down from the Crossroads plaza) has free Wifi - we were in search for it in July.

My son used it for his ipod and DS downloads in July (Denny's Wifi).

McDonalds (crossroads) has wifi i think, but you have to pay for it.

I had internet in my condo for my laptop, but at our place, head's up - it was PER laptop, not for the room or multiple units! (Paid $9+ a day) -- stayed off-site - not sure at Disney, haven't used it there yet, but most hotels, when you pay for it, you're paying PER unit. I had to sign up with a credit card. If you don't have a credit card, you CAN go to a drugstore and buy a preloaded credit card and use that to pay for it. I finally did that for my son's ipod after awhile.

(We were in Florida for 2+ weeks in July)

According to the McDonalds web site, there is no wi-fi at the Crossroads location.

The closest McDs with wi-fi appear to be the one across the street from Orlando Premium Outlets on Vineland Rd, and the one on US 192 in the Maingate area, next to the intersection of Sherberth Road.
http://www.mcdonalds.com/usa/restau...maryCity=32830 &postalCode=32830 &country=usa

:) no biggie....just think my son checked for wifi when we hit the mcD's drive-thru one day, and he saw it, but that they were charging -- as was the starbucks down the road too. I could be wrong...he'd run his wifi check on his ipod - when I'd be going through to grab a Diet Coke at the drive-thru - his priority - wifi...mine - diet coke :rotfl:

We were thrilled to find Denny's which was very close to there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter