Pop reducing bus service to 1/hour

I'm currently a driver at Hollywood Studios. We have buses up and on the road within 5 minutes when the Skyliner or Boats go down. Standby drivers are being built into the schedule.
I am happy to hear that, as it was not the situation 4 years ago (boats only then, of course).

OK, just be aware that a lot of other people are also planning around the bus - and the bus only holds so many people. If it's only coming once an hour, you need to be pretty close to the front of the line to be guaranteed a seat. If you aren't...you're waiting another hour. As the day wears on, that line's going to get longer. And I sure hope Disney adds busses at the end of the day, because otherwise you might not be getting back to your hotel for a LONG time.

Is there a similar sign at Epcot & Hollywood Studios regarding return trips? Because the sign showed here is talking about going from the resort to the parks.

Also, I did mention that I don't personally believe that Disney will leave hundreds of people lining up outside the Skyliner resorts all day waiting for a single bus per hour, per resort. The sign says buses, plural, and I am sure they will base the number sent each hour on the crowd waiting. If there are 10 bus loads worth of people out there, what good would it do Disney to send one bus? We don't spend money when we're in a 9 hour bus line, right? ;)

Is there a similar sign at Epcot & Hollywood Studios regarding return trips? Because the sign showed here is talking about going from the resort to the parks.

Also, I did mention that I don't personally believe that Disney will leave hundreds of people lining up outside the Skyliner resorts all day waiting for a single bus per hour, per resort. The sign says buses, plural, and I am sure they will base the number sent each hour on the crowd waiting. If there are 10 bus loads worth of people out there, what good would it do Disney to send one bus? We don't spend money when we're in a 9 hour bus line, right? ;)

I think you’re probably right. In the adjustment period they’ll probably send as many as they need to clear a massive line. They won’t leave a huge crowd there.

As time goes on word will spread and less and less people will try to go by bus, eventually people will forget buses ever went regularly to the skyliner resorts for Epcot and DHS. I bet it doesn’t take long for people to get used to using only the skyliner.

As time goes on word will spread and less and less people will try to go by bus, eventually people will forget buses ever went regularly to the skyliner resorts for Epcot and DHS. I bet it doesn’t take long for people to get used to using only the skyliner.

Honestly? I don't think that's going to be anytime soon. Disney is going to need busses to get people to Epcot and DHS every time the Skyliner goes down for any length of time, and any time the Skyliner has to shut down because of lightning - which is just about every single day during the summer. I'm willing to bet that there are going to be days during the summer and right through hurricane season where the Skyliner doesn't run at all. They're going to need busses.

Also, the Skyliner is not a reliable mode of transportation. A trip that might ideally take 5 minutes could take a half an hour - or two hours. The downtime is unpredictable, and for that reason I for one probably won't ride it at all, unless it's the end of the day and I might maybe try it to get back to the resort, since that's a time when I'm not in a hurry. I wouldn't take a chance on riding it at a time when I might end up getting stuck in the air and watching valuable minutes from my $100+ park ticket waft away while I'm sitting in a hot box high above the ground. I'll take the bus, which even if it runs only once an hour is a LOT less likely to break down or get in an accident on the way to the park.

Honestly? I don't think that's going to be anytime soon. Disney is going to need busses to get people to Epcot and DHS every time the Skyliner goes down for any length of time, and any time the Skyliner has to shut down because of lightning - which is just about every single day during the summer. I'm willing to bet that there are going to be days during the summer and right through hurricane season where the Skyliner doesn't run at all. They're going to need busses.

Also, the Skyliner is not a reliable mode of transportation. A trip that might ideally take 5 minutes could take a half an hour - or two hours. The downtime is unpredictable, and for that reason I for one probably won't ride it at all, unless it's the end of the day and I might maybe try it to get back to the resort, since that's a time when I'm not in a hurry. I wouldn't take a chance on riding it at a time when I might end up getting stuck in the air and watching valuable minutes from my $100+ park ticket waft away while I'm sitting in a hot box high above the ground. I'll take the bus, which even if it runs only once an hour is a LOT less likely to break down or get in an accident on the way to the park.

How reliable has the monorail been in recent years? Does it have unpredictable downtime? I would argue it practically has predictable downtime 😂, people warn all the time to expect delays. Has it had some scary situations, arguably putting people in more immediate danger than the Skyliner (hello, wide open door)? Do they still use it as the exclusive mode of transportation between certain resorts and Epcot?

I think the solution is basically if you don’t want to use the Skyliner find your own mode of transportation or don’t stay at a Skyliner resort. Just like the monorails. I think people will adjust to the one an hour, and then eventually downtime only pretty quickly. My guess is that with the decrease in bus service, people who feel like you do just don’t stay at those resorts anymore making it even easier to cut it all together.

That really stinks. But one more reason we will likely keep staying off site anymore. The price hike for this resort has been bad enough, although I love the renovated rooms. But I’m terrified of heights so no chance I’ll ever be stepping foot on the skyliner. Especially after the mishap when it first opened. Once an hour bus service is ridiculous IMO.

But now many off site hotels will have that advantage over Disney because they too have free shuttles and their shuttles pick up and go to the parks every 20 to thirty minutes.
Which ones, aside from the Hotel Plaza Boulevard resorts?
Unfortuantely, it takes Pop and AoA out of our stay options. I have a heights issue and can't/won't do the Skyliner. Plenty of other resorts for me.
W
Then it also take Riviera and Caribbesn Beach out of your stay options.
Thus the only people who are paying to ride the Skyliner are the ones who want to - and nobody who doesn't want to ride it is charged for it.
So, you're telling Disney to alter their entire concept of free/included onsite transportation because you think the Skyliner should be a fun ride rather than, you know, transportation?

A similar sign at Epcot - at least, adjacent to the Skyliner - wouldn't be especially helpful, since typically no buses go there anyway. But it's entirely reasonable to expect that most riders woukd be aware of the reduced bus usage, from the signage at their resorts.
Honestly? I don't think that's going to be anytime soon
Hence:
As time goes on
and any time the Skyliner has to shut down because of lightning - which is just about every single day during the summer. I'm willing to bet that there are going to be days during the summer and right through hurricane season where the Skyliner doesn't run at all.
Most lightning/rain is, while frequent through early Autumn, for just brief periods. If there's a hurricane? Nobody is going anywhere - so no need for the Skyliner, or boats.
They're going to need busses.
I think Disney knows that.

Do people who won't use the skyliner...use the monorail? Just curious on this one, as i've seen a lot of people post that, they won't ever use it due to heights or small space. Gondola systems and chair lift systems have been used worldwide for decades to move people...usually up mountains that are thousands of feet high (disney's is essentially moving people across flat land). I ski regularly, and have confidence the skyliner will be just fine. People keep referencing the unreliability of it...yet i've rarely heard anything outside of the first 2 week hiccups (and crash) regarding the skyliner being down, outside of a few 5-10 minute gaps, where other posters have indicated that ECV's were being loaded.

The only real gripe I would have right now, is the short notice given (well really...no notice). This is something that should have been announced today, but rolled out 6 months from now, so people who will refuse to use the skyliner, could adapt their plans and maybe choose to stay elsewhere.

The Skyliner system has just one major flaw. There is no backup transportation at the Epcot station able to handle the passenger load in the event of an outage of the Epcot-Riviera-Caribbean Beach link.

Suitable solutions would be complimentary surreys, Main Street Vehicles, etc. to Hollywood Studios, or backstage shuttles to the Epcot bus terminal, or if weather is not the issue, more Friendship boats.

Or maintaining bus service from Future World to the Skyliner resorts on demand with wait time averaging no more than service to other resorts.

It does not make sense to advise guests that service from Future World back to their resorts runs just once an hour and the guests go to the primary transportation station for their resorts outside International Gateway only to find a ca. one hour wait there.

There is no backup transportation at the Epcot station able to handle the passenger load in the event of an outage of the Epcot-Riviera-Caribbean Beach link.
What's the backup transportation for the monorail resorts that is able to handle the passenger load in the event of a monorail outage? OK, those at CR can walk to MK. But to Epcot? What about Poly & GF?

At 6:10 am the Epcot line was moving, but no CM’s at Riviera station for loading (which caused us to barely miss a DHS bus.
While I knew the 7:30 open, it appeared It might be different, and it didn’t help that resort bus wait times weren’t in MDE.

At 8:25am, you cant board a Skyliner from CBR to Riviera. (I guess because Epcot isn’t open?)

If they want to push this thing as a premium transportation option, then they need to run it like one.

What's the backup transportation for the monorail resorts that is able to handle the passenger load in the event of a monorail outage? OK, those at CR can walk to MK. But to Epcot? What about Poly & GF?

What’s frustrating with monorail downtime (and maybe they don’t do this anymore) is if only the resort line is down it’s that line that gets a bus. So if the resort line isn’t running but the Epcot line is for example, they bus you to the TTC from the resort not directly to Epcot.

I think because it’s brand new the skyliner is held to standards the other modes of transportation aren’t, which I don’t entirely disagree with. Still I see the other side as well, there’s definitely precedent for Disney relying on a not incredibly reliable form of transportation. I think you’d probably find a fair number of monorail resort guests who would choose an Epcot bus if they offered one.

DisLiss said:
A similar sign at Epcot - at least, adjacent to the Skyliner - wouldn't be especially helpful, since typically no buses go there anyway. But it's entirely reasonable to expect that most riders woukd be aware of the reduced bus usage, from the signage at their resorts.
I understand & agree. :) I was just asking because it sounded like people were making assumptions about the end of day routine, leaving the parks based on the new daytime routine from the resorts,and I was trying to find out if there was actual signage from WDW backing up the belief, or if was speculation. :)

If they want to push this thing as a premium transportation option, then they need to run it like one.

This

I’ve already come to terms with the fact that I will be stepping WAY outside my comfort zone (major fear of heights) to use the Skyliner. I don’t want to also be at a disadvantage when it comes to rope drop, PPO reservations or trying to get a coveted ROTR boarding pass.

This

I’ve already come to terms with the fact that I will be stepping WAY outside my comfort zone (major fear of heights) to use the Skyliner. I don’t want to also be at a disadvantage when it comes to rope drop, PPO reservations or trying to get a coveted ROTR boarding pass.

They’re still running buses on the regular schedule before it starts operating for the day. I agree it’s ridiculously they aren’t just running it earlier, but they are giving you an option to get places early.

They’re still running buses on the regular schedule before it starts operating for the day. I agree it’s ridiculously they aren’t just running it earlier, but they are giving you an option to get places early.
Then that needs to be made crystal clear to resort guests, with reliable and updated opening times, and some way for Guests to easily know before leaving their room whether current transportation is via Skyliner or bus. And some overlap, so Guests who head to the bus stop before Skyliner has opened or when it's down unexpectedly don't end up ping-ponging between the bus stop and the Skyliner station.

And, btw, I hope that when the Skyliner is unavailable, the screens in the bus stops don't continue to flash, "Use Skyliner".

Then that needs to be made crystal clear to resort guests, with reliable and updated opening times, and some way for Guests to easily know before leaving their room whether current transportation is via Skyliner or bus. And some overlap, so Guests who head to the bus stop before Skyliner has opened or when it's down unexpectedly don't end up ping-ponging between the bus stop and the Skyliner station.

And, btw, I hope that when the Skyliner is unavailable, the screens in the bus stops don't continue to flash, "Use Skyliner".
This did happen to us at POP last month. Ate breakfast, walked back to the skyliner and was then directed to the buses because they were down. There needs to be a way to check that on our own before you head towards one direction or the other. we were told one of the managers in the store had direct knowledge and that we could just find and ask her to check before we headed out. there has to be a better system for this

What's the backup transportation for the monorail resorts that is able to handle the passenger load in the event of a monorail outage?
Buses. Should be provided to board downstairs a short distance from the monorail platform. If the Epcot monorail is also down then the bus for Epcot should continue all the way to Epcot.

At least at Pop Century you can see the gondolas operating or not (or can you?) from the food court area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter