Port Orleans Riverside?

tetera

Mouseketeer
I've heard mixed reviews about Port Orleans Riverside, including some comments that it maybe isn't the best for people in the LGBTQ community...anyone here have firsthand experience?

(We have a dog so places we can stay on site at WDW are limited!)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have never heard that and stayed there three times. It is a wonderful resort. I don't understand why POR would be singled out as less LGBTQ friendly unless there are a couple of employees who are nasty. The room decor is different in the mansion and bayou section so you may get assigned an area that you are not to keen on. I loved both sections.

I have stayed there numerous times and never heard that either.

As an above poster said it could be a couple of CMs or some not so friendly guests in the past.

It’s a gorgeous resort. Preferred rooms as an fyi are in the bio section and super close to riverside mill food court (idk where the rooms for the dogs are.)

A surrey bike ride is so much fun there too!

My spouse and I never had any problems there. The food court was spacious compared to other resorts (key for early entry strategies!) and we really liked Boatwrights; a hidden gem.

I've heard mixed reviews about Port Orleans Riverside, including some comments that it maybe isn't the best for people in the LGBTQ community...anyone here have firsthand experience?

Thanks!
Hi Tetera:
POR was our home resort for years, and I still love that resort. WE now stay at POFQ due to mobility issues, but we always visit POR to eat and go to their store. The grounds are so lovely.
As far as not being friendly to the LGBTQ community? I have never seen or heard of it in many years of going to POR. I hope you have a good time if you go to POR; it is a wonderful resort.

Thanks!

We've stayed at POR several times this year and couldn't imagine why anyone would think that. We've not had a single negative experience there from any CM or guest. The layout of the resort lends a lot of privacy compared to the larger WDW resort hotels in my view and you will have lots of room to walk your dog.

Thanks!
I've stayed there lots of time & never noticed an issue. I was appalled once to see a black family getting the stink-eye by a couple of people, though. ***?

I've stayed there lots of time & never noticed an issue. I was appalled once to see a black family getting the stink-eye by a couple of people, though. ***?

Considering what that resort's theme is and what it used to be called, I'm utterly unsurprised.

tbf as a Black guest I've run into those looks at many resorts though, especially since I tend to stay at the deluxes. That "what are you doing here" type of look, as if I can't afford to be there. I ignore them and go about my business. My partner is white and gnc so we definitely get clocked more when we're together and we always joke that we can never tell if people are just being salty because we're queer or an IR couple.

Wow, thank you for that input- we have decided to do just one night at POR as a sort of test run and see how it goes, (with the rest of our trip being at The Cabins at Fort Wilderness).

Considering what that resort's theme is and what it used to be called, I'm utterly unsurprised.

tbf as a Black guest I've run into those looks at many resorts though, especially since I tend to stay at the deluxes. That "what are you doing here" type of look, as if I can't afford to be there. I ignore them and go about my business. My partner is white and gnc so we definitely get clocked more when we're together and we always joke that we can never tell if people are just being salty because we're queer or an IR couple.
You know, I have thought of that at times, esp when it was called Dixie Landings. Why would a black family want to stay here? Well, it's quiet & beautiful & romantic, with an excellent selection of restaurants, etc. But no one needs to be made to feel cruddy. When I saw that family treated so coldly, I'm afraid I tried too hard to make it up to them. I was disgusted & sad & angry all at the same time, but I smiled & greeted them & encouraged them to take their bikes up that steep hill like champions! At least I made them laugh.

I am truly amazed that people would make assumptions about the resort and the theming at a Disney hotel. I've stayed there six times in the last 18 months with my husband inluding this past Christmas and never witnessed anything like any of this.

We also camp at the Fort, and if you've ever camped you will know that camping and RVing is where you traditionally meet people to the right of the political spectrum. Yet every trip to the Fort has been equally as delightful as Port Orleans. In October we had a site next to and accross from two same-sex couples camping with their children. My husband still says laughingly we were on the gay loop.

You are no more likely to meet racists at Port Orleans than you are drag queens at Old Key West. Just relax and be yourselves.

Last edited:
I am truly amazzed that people would make assumptions about the resort and the theming at a Disney hotel. I've stayed there six times in the last 18 months with my husband inluding this past Christmas and never witnessed anything like any of this.

We also camp at the Fort, and if you've ever camped you will know that camping and RVing is where you traditionally meet people to the right of the political spectrum. Yet every trip to the Fort has been equally as delightful as Port Orleans. In October we had a site next to and accross from two same-sex couples camping with their children. My husband still says laughingly we were on the gay loop.

You are no more likely to meet racists at Port Orleans than you are drag queens at Old Key West. Just relax and be yourselves.
I'm not sure which post you read where people are making assumptions, which, by definition, is something that does not have proof of any sort. In fact, what I see are posts from people sharing what they've seen & experienced, so it's reasonable to say, "Well, I saw this once" or "I experienced this a few times." It's just as legitimate to ascribe offensive motivations as pleasant ones. "He gave me the side-eye" (suggesting judgement) is the same thing as "He was leering at me" (ascribing lechery) or "She was the NICEST person" (she just smiled at you - even to say it was a "warm smile" is drawing a conclusion). Etc. But, it IS funny that you assume Key West was or is attractive to ... drag queens? I will need to ask my drag queen friends what they think of that idea!

Unfortunately, there's too much of people being themselves everywhere. I wish they would just be the best version of themselves whenever possible, esp in crowded places like WDW. I admit it: sometimes "myself" is pretty crabby & rude in the mornings & at the end of a long, busy day! But, I agree that people should enjoy themselves. And I agree that POR is a lovely hotel that I highly recommend to ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE, incl people who are not always nice or generous or kind or non-judgmental because that would make a very empty resort & where is WDW without people?

I'm not sure which post you read where people are making assumptions, which, by definition, is something that does not have proof of any sort. In fact, what I see are posts from people sharing what they've seen & experienced, so it's reasonable to say, "Well, I saw this once" or "I experienced this a few times." It's just as legitimate to ascribe offensive motivations as pleasant ones. "He gave me the side-eye" (suggesting judgement) is the same thing as "He was leering at me" (ascribing lechery) or "She was the NICEST person" (she just smiled at you - even to say it was a "warm smile" is drawing a conclusion). Etc. But, it IS funny that you assume Key West was or is attractive to ... drag queens? I will need to ask my drag queen friends what they think of that idea!

Unfortunately, there's too much of people being themselves everywhere. I wish they would just be the best version of themselves whenever possible, esp in crowded places like WDW. I admit it: sometimes "myself" is pretty crabby & rude in the mornings & at the end of a long, busy day! But, I agree that people should enjoy themselves. And I agree that POR is a lovely hotel that I highly recommend to ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE, incl people who are not always nice or generous or kind or non-judgmental because that would make a very empty resort & where is WDW without people?
Wonderfully put! Thank you.

I think we all, myself included, assume we know what others are thinking, and we're probably wrong the majority of the time.

:rainbow: the best!!! I'm laughing out loud. Olivia's shrimp fritters with Key Lime Mustard will help make up for it 8-).

I have never heard that and stayed there three times. It is a wonderful resort. I don't understand why POR would be singled out as less LGBTQ friendly unless there are a couple of employees who are nasty. The room decor is different in the mansion and bayou section so you may get assigned an area that you are not to keen on. I loved both sections.
I want to add to this, as I've frequented this resort many times. I've actually been going there since I was a kid. Most recently last November. For full context, I don't usually give a flying F when I am m on vacation, but the uptick of anti-LGBTQ rhetoric has made me wonder if I'm more "conspicuous" than I think, or if I'm making people wonder about what they're hearing from far-right extremists (and I don't even begin to understand what people's perceptions of me are).

POR is a terrific resort. Just go and enjoy. As with anywhere in Disney, there are tons of families there. Lots of kids. In November, I sat on the boat to DS behind a man wearing a MAGA hat. Was it unsettling at first? Absolutely. Yes. That is A LOT for me to handle. But he ended up being just a man on vacation with his family. I don't know what his intent behind wearing the hat was, but I know his intent on going to Disney was to have a great vacation with his friends and family. That's the majority's intent of going there. And everyone just carried on with their vacation.

I want to add to this, as I've frequented this resort many times. I've actually been going there since I was a kid. Most recently last November. For full context, I don't usually give a flying F when I am m on vacation, but the uptick of anti-LGBTQ rhetoric has made me wonder if I'm more "conspicuous" than I think, or if I'm making people wonder about what they're hearing from far-right extremists (and I don't even begin to understand what people's perceptions of me are).

POR is a terrific resort. Just go and enjoy. As with anywhere in Disney, there are tons of families there. Lots of kids. In November, I sat on the boat to DS behind a man wearing a MAGA hat. Was it unsettling at first? Absolutely. Yes. That is A LOT for me to handle. But he ended up being just a man on vacation with his family. I don't know what his intent behind wearing the hat was, but I know his intent on going to Disney was to have a great vacation with his friends and family. That's the majority's intent of going there. And everyone just carried on with their vacation.

OP here; we did end up staying at POR for one night earlier this year - we had a great stay and the clientele was the most diverse we have seen at any WDW resort - would definitely consider a repeat/longer stay in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter