Possible cancelled flights- how to handle with resort?

lorenae

I'm going to Disney World!
I live in Florida in the winter, about 90 minutes from WDW. My friend lives in Wisconsin, and we started planning our trip in July.

I’m heading over today, staying at PO-FQ, and she is to meet me tomorrow afternoon for the week.

She just texted me that the airline notified her that her flights tomorrow may be delayed or cancelled due to the weather forecast for Chicago.

I just saw the charge go through on my credit card this morning (I guess it’s a temp hold?).

Since I won’t know if her flights are actually delayed, or by how much, or even cancelled for a day or two, how should I handle this? I mean, I know I can stay the week by myself but that’s double the $$$$$.

I should just relax, and enjoy my day and night like I planned for my solo day, but I”m pretty worked up about this now!

The room only policy is that you need to cancel at least 5 days ahead. If you still plan on going for your solo day, I would go and talk to them. Disney does sometimes work magic, but it is hard to say ahead of time.

Thanks- that’s what I thought. And right now, I have no idea if the flight will be delayed or cancelled- or even on time.
This happened to me last year with my daughter and grandchildren, but we didn’t have hotel reservations (they stayed here) and I guess I should have learned by now with winter travel and Wisconsin. :(

She just texted me that the airline notified her that her flights tomorrow may be delayed or cancelled due to the weather forecast for Chicago.
We are flying out of Chicago Midway tomorrow (Sunday) morning and at this time it looks like the snow will be over by 3am Sunday morning. I would be very worried if she is traveling today (Saturday) but hopefully everything will be okay on Sunday, at least we hope so.

She should call the airline and see what they can do to accommodate her. Typically, if they are expecting weather that will impact travel, the airline will waive change/cancellation fees and try to get her on a flight that will not be impacting by a storm. We had to do this a few years ago when a hurricane was about to hit our area. The airline rescheduled our flight for the day before and WDW found us a room for the night prior to our original reservation.

Even if her flight gets cancelled, the airline should be able to accommodate her on a later or earlier flight. It certainly doesnt mean her whole trip has to be cancelled.

Are you asking how to handle the division of room charges - in the event your friend misses a night or two? POFQ isn't an inexpensive resport, so hopefully she will pay for her half of the room - even if she isn't there every night.

It looks like she’ll make it!

We live in a rural area, where there are one or two flights a day to Chicago or Minneapolis, depending on which airport you chose near you.

She is on American, and from her small city, all flights go to Chicago for the hub.

When this happened to my daughter last year, she was stuck in Green Bay (a bit larger airport than my friend’s) for four days due to the cancelled flights. I always say “never again” in winter, but then we forget when family and friends want to come to Florida to get out of the frozen north!

Thanks for all of the encouraging words.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter