Possible Non-DVC and Non-Park Trip Suggestions

hayesdvc

DIS Veteran
DW and I (in our 50's) will be in Orlando in February on business. Normally, the business trip ends on a Tuesday and we stay DVC and park hop leaving out Friday night using AP.

As our current APs will have expired, we are thinking about not activating new ones and doing non park activities for 2-3 days. At the same time, we are thinking about saving our points for other trips in the summer and next fall.

Has anyone done this in the past? We are looking for suggestions on what all we can do along recommendations where to stay (Disney Spring resorts?).

I would either stay at BWV or SSR, you then either have the boardwalk area or Disney springs within walking distance and places to eat and entertainment. There is also the spa at SSR, there's lot's to do at all the resorts and if you were at SSR you would have easy access to the different resort busses as well.

You might want to get busy looking for rooms first of all. Then plan what you will do.

Do you play golf? Plenty of great courses in the area. Day trip to coast, notice I did not say beach as Feb. may be a bit chilly. Always enjoy the food options bot in Disney and the Orlando area in general. May be a bit far but Lowry PK. Zoo near Tampa is really a nice smaller zoo. At least it was when we last went about 7 years ago. Sure there are a few things to do near Tampa as well.

DW and I (in our 50's) will be in Orlando in February on business. Normally, the business trip ends on a Tuesday and we stay DVC and park hop leaving out Friday night using AP.

As our current APs will have expired, we are thinking about not activating new ones and doing non park activities for 2-3 days. At the same time, we are thinking about saving our points for other trips in the summer and next fall.

Has anyone done this in the past? We are looking for suggestions on what all we can do along recommendations where to stay (Disney Spring resorts?).
It might be a good opportunity to do some non Disney things. Universal, Sea World, and dinner shows come to mind but there are a lot of other options. Maybe a non DVC timeshare stay either privately or as a preview tour. Especially somewhere with a good pool options.

I've done it (back when I was in my 50s). One thing I did was go to a resort I hadn't been to, ate in the food court, walked around. I took the first bus that came to my resort, transferred to the bus that went to the resort I wanted to go to, ate in the food court, then walked around and checked out the gift shop. One time, I stayed at AKV-Jambo, and found lots of activities right there. I did the jewelry making, culinary tour of Jiko and Boma, tour of Sanaa, and tour of the art of the lobbies.

We did a no parks trip two summers ago. We entertained ourselves by pool hopping at the monorail resorts (GFV, Contemporary Hotel), played mini golf at both mini golf places, and went on an animal named drink hunt where we attempted to find and drink every drink we could find named after an animal. This got a bit pricey, but was fun. My favorite was the Mongoose Mai Tai at the Rainforest Cafe. We also played bocce at BLT.

Plenty to do around property, and without fast passes or ADRs to get to we felt super relaxed. It was a great change of pace for us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter