Possible update to Genie+

Jrb1979

DIS Veteran
According to Len Testa.,

The rumor is that we'll soon see per-park Genie+ pricing. So if you want to use G+ at two parks, it'll potentially be 2 separate purchases.

No word yet on prices.

I don't expect prices to drop, at least at MK and HS. For one thing, a price drop would essentially be a discount to guests who only visit one park per day. And there's already enough demand at the popular rides. A price drop would only make that worse.

I've heard (but not seen) that the MK price will be the same as "all four parks", which would encourage you to go somewhere else after the MK. That's another way of shifting demand.

I'd expect lower prices at AK and EP, in part to encourage people to go to those parks. Also, as we've shown with ETPE, there's really no need for G+ for resort guests using ETPE at AK. So this per-park strategy allows them to reprice the value proposition.

I still expect per-park prices to fluctuate every day.

I've not seen how IT will implement all of this. I'd expect that any sort of change/refund will require you to visit Guest Relations, since I doubt that will be built into MDE.

Well, at least you don't have to buy it twice if you're hopping. I guess multi-park will always match the highest cost park. Kinda lame though if your day is Epcot and AK!

It doesn't seem that complicated. If you have a park hopper pass, buy the multi-park option. If not, buy whichever park you plan on going to (and until 2024, the one you have a reservation for.

ETA: It is a fair bit of nickel and diming from Disney.

Last edited:
Jeez this is really awful. I love Disney - like LOVE LOVE Disney. But this kind of nonsense is really starting to get to me. I wish I'd have known this a few weeks ago when we bought our park-hoppers for our upcoming trip. We've been long-time park-hopper diehards, but after a few trips with the 2pm thing we were not sure if it was worth it for the next one. Needless to say, we went for it, and now we'll wind up being nickeled and dimed even further for Genie+ for the "privilege" of park-hopping. Just when I started to accept the idea of Genie+, they go and do this.

It doesn't seem that complicated. If you have a park hopper pass, buy the multi-park option. If not, buy whichever park you plan on going to (and until 2024, the one you have a reservation for.

Agree! It seems better than having AK and MK priced the same when ppl complain all the time that AK doesn't near as good offerings as MK.

Jeez this is really awful. I love Disney - like LOVE LOVE Disney. But this kind of nonsense is really starting to get to me. I wish I'd have known this a few weeks ago when we bought our park-hoppers for our upcoming trip. We've been long-time park-hopper diehards, but after a few trips with the 2pm thing we were not sure if it was worth it for the next one. Needless to say, we went for it, and now we'll wind up being nickeled and dimed even further for Genie+ for the "privilege" of park-hopping. Just when I started to accept the idea of Genie+, they go and do this.
You don't have to pay $27 unless you want G+ at MK or MK and AK, HS, EP. You can pay $16 to use G+ for AK only and still hop to other parks.

Agree! It seems better than having AK and MK priced the same when ppl complain all the time that AK doesn't near as good offerings as MK.

I think in theory, it sounds good. IF the multipark is priced the way it is now (because right now all Genie+ is already multipark), and the Epcot/AK Genie+ prices went down, then that's an improvement. But I'd be extremely surprised if it actually pans out that way. What I'm anticipating is "multipark" (ie, Genie+ as we've always known it ) priced HIGHER than what we pay now, with AK/Epcot being priced just slightly lower than what we pay now. Don't get me wrong, I really really hope you're right.

The other thing here is that a multipark Genie+ for a day you might want to split between Epcot and AK is going to cost the same as splitting a day between HS/MK.

You don't have to pay $27 unless you want G+ at MK or MK and AK, HS, EP. You can pay $16 to use G+ for AK only and still hop to other parks.

Yeah, I get that. If it's truly that multipark prices will be on par with current Genie+ prices, I'd be happy with the change. I just am doubtful that those multipark prices don't wind up creeping up and up on us. It's a case where I really do hope I'm wrong. Maybe I'm selling Disney short.....? We bought park-hoppers for our upcoming trip and I'm having a hard time believing that we're not going to be paying out the nose for that multi-park Genie+ come December.

I think in theory, it sounds good. IF the multipark is priced the way it is now (because right now all Genie+ is already multipark), and the Epcot/AK Genie+ prices went down, then that's an improvement. But I'd be extremely surprised if it actually pans out that way. What I'm anticipating is "multipark" (ie, Genie+ as we've always known it ) priced HIGHER than what we pay now, with AK/Epcot being priced just slightly lower than what we pay now. Don't get me wrong, I really really hope you're right.

The other thing here is that a multipark Genie+ for a day you might want to split between Epcot and AK is going to cost the same as splitting a day between HS/MK.
That is literally what is happening tho, you can see it in the screenshot. Epcot and AK are priced cheaper and Multiparks is the same as paying for MK, which is arguably the park it works best at because it has more LLs.
1687550005875.png

This is an awful development.

For starters, it has been confirmed that once the single park G+ has sold out for the day, the Multiple Parks option is ALSO sold out, so forget buying for one park and upgrading if you decide to hop later.

Also confirmed, if you buy one park and decide to upgrade, you have to visit Guest Relations and have them do it manually, and charge you the difference. If you do it in the app, it will process as a separate $27 (or whatever price) transaction. So, they didn't even equip the software to provide an upgrade option in app. 🙄

That is literally what is happening tho, you can see it in the screenshot. Epcot and AK are priced cheaper and Multiparks is the same as paying for MK, which is arguably the park it works best at because it has more LLs.
View attachment 770407

I just hope it STAYS that way. When they first introduced Genie+ it was $15/pp. The pricing changes all the time. As I said, I really hope I'm just over-reacting. And I don't mean to vilify Disney (I love Disney) but I also have a hard time trusting that this isn't just a more palatable way to introduce more price increases down the road.

I can hardly wait for the IT side of this, and what blow-ups we see early on in the changes! I suspect there could be many trips to GR when this starts.

I just hope it STAYS that way. When they first introduced Genie+ it was $15/pp. The pricing changes all the time. As I said, I really hope I'm just over-reacting. And I don't mean to vilify Disney (I love Disney) but I also have a hard time trusting that this isn't just a more palatable way to introduce more price increases down the road.
Yea, I agree with you. I'm pretty sure we'll never see $15 again for all parks. But now, perhaps on a really uncrowded late August day, AK will only be $12 for G+. Guess how the pricing will be advertised..... Genie+ starting at only $12 today!!! Woo Hoo.......

That's fair. At the end of the day it will cost what ppl are willing to pay. But I highly doubt the price tier will change even if the prices do. I think this is their way of trying to solve the issue of how unhappy ppl were with the reduced value of G+ on AK and Epcot.

Here's an idea. Disney can have this one for free:

Charge a flat price for INSTANT Lightning Lane access on demand. Make it $5 per ride, across the board. Make it dependent on location permissions such that the option won't pop up on your phone until you are physically in front of the ride.

This would solve the issues of how freaking overly complicated this system is, how much G+ interferes with your planned schedule around ADRs and such, and will net Disney FAR more money overall, due to the psychology behind the "micro transaction" model. It will also provide the standby line self regulation that is needed.

Think about it. You walk up to Slinky Dog Dash and it has a 60 minute wait OR you can get on RIGHT NOW for $5/person. Many people will jump on it, but many others won't. It will be a "how much is my time worth for THIS ride" calculation. People are more likely to spend small amounts of money all day than making one large purchase. After a certain amount of spending, you forget what you have already spent.

They can keep certain rides as ILL with higher charges, but they need to eliminate the stupid VQ and prebooking of ILL times.

think of it as the non dis board guest. Meaning the person that doesnt live and breath disney like a lot of us do.

things like this can be complicated for the causal guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter