Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

This is incorrect. In the normal course, if you change your flight, the EBCI purchase changes to the date you made a change. The exception to this is if you take advantage of a price drop but don't actually change the flight. If you cancel and rebook, you lose EBCI altogether. This particular situation I would guess that the SW initiated change may have held the previous purchase date, but making the voluntary change back would have reset it. It may work out in PP's favor if everyone got dumped from that flight, they may have moved up in the EBCI order.

got you. Sorry about my incorrect post.

Quick question. With EBCI I don't have to check in right at the 24hr mark right? I just looked(our flight is at 11am tomorrow) and I had to hit "check in" to get my boarding group and we got B20-22 with EBCI purchase purchased back in Feb. Seems crazy to me.

Quick question. With EBCI I don't have to check in right at the 24hr mark right? I just looked(our flight is at 11am tomorrow) and I had to hit "check in" to get my boarding group and we got B20-22 with EBCI purchase purchased back in Feb. Seems crazy to me.
No, boarding position is reserved at 36hr. Depending on what fare class you had and the route, B20 isn't all that surprising. A WGA fare with EBCI purchased on release day is still going to be behind all A-List Preferred, A-List members, anyone with Anytime fares and anyone with WGA+ fares that purchased EBCI 37 hours or more before the flight. If you are on a route that has connecting traffic, say MDW-MCO, BNA-MCO or BWI-MCO, you would also be behind all of those that have EBCI or status because their boarding positions are determined 36 hours before their first flight.

Im flying out the same time, bought tickets and EBCI the second the flights were released. Got B in the 30s. Fortunately I have a southwest credit card and get 4 free upgrades a year ( you have to buy them and you get a credit on your card ), so I was able to get into the As. The downside is on the way home. If I get a similar boarding position, I'm concerned the 3 of us won't be able to sit together. Which is nuts.

Im flying out the same time, bought tickets and EBCI the second the flights were released. Got B in the 30s. Fortunately I have a southwest credit card and get 4 free upgrades a year ( you have to buy them and you get a credit on your card ), so I was able to get into the As. The downside is on the way home. If I get a similar boarding position, I'm concerned the 3 of us won't be able to sit together. Which is nuts.
Same with me. I immediately upgraded and got A9-11 but share the same concerns coming home. Luckily it's an 8:30pm flight on a Thursday coming home so hopefully not as bad

Same with me. I immediately upgraded and got A9-11 but share the same concerns coming home. Luckily it's an 8:30pm flight on a Thursday coming home so hopefully not as bad
With all this I am wondering if its worth booking a flight that you can stay on the same plane the whole time just so you have first crack at seats in the connection cities. I have also found that flying to Tampa sometimes is a lot easier even though the drive can suck sometimes.

With all this I am wondering if its worth booking a flight that you can stay on the same plane the whole time just so you have first crack at seats in the connection cities. I have also found that flying to Tampa sometimes is a lot easier even though the drive can suck sometimes.
Luckily, they are direct flights. But I have never had an issue before getting A.

Flew into Tampa once because the only direct flight into MCO was late in the afternoon. The drive wasn't bad but dealing with an airport you're not familiar with I found a little intimidating. But I'm a creature of habit.

No, boarding position is reserved at 36hr. Depending on what fare class you had and the route, B20 isn't all that surprising. A WGA fare with EBCI purchased on release day is still going to be behind all A-List Preferred, A-List members, anyone with Anytime fares and anyone with WGA+ fares that purchased EBCI 37 hours or more before the flight. If you are on a route that has connecting traffic, say MDW-MCO, BNA-MCO or BWI-MCO, you would also be behind all of those that have EBCI or status because their boarding positions are determined 36 hours before their first flight.

You forgot Business Select. :laughing:

Luckily, they are direct flights. But I have never had an issue before getting A.

I just remembered, SW had a promo a few months ago that allowed people to earn a Companion Pass to be used from August 15 - end of September. If someone has a companion flying with them, the companion gets checked in right after them. So anyone flying anytime or WGA + that bought EBCI & has a companion actually took 2 “spots” when checked in at 36 hours. So that may play a part in why you had worse positions than you usually do.

I just remembered, SW had a promo a few months ago that allowed people to earn a Companion Pass to be used from August 15 - end of September. If someone has a companion flying with them, the companion gets checked in right after them. So anyone flying anytime or WGA + that bought EBCI & has a companion actually took 2 “spots” when checked in at 36 hours. So that may play a part in why you had worse positions than you usually do.
We flew to Puerto Rico end of January with promotional Companion Passes that were for early January to mid-March and technically broke it up with going to KC to Orlando, next day Orlando to Puerto Rico, way home was just Puerto Rico to Orlando to KC on the same day. We had them in 2022 too same time frame but couldn't make usage out of them.

Speaking of the Companion Pass promo, I'm one of the people who took advantage of that and it's my first time flying with a companion. Does it matter who checks in first?

I see that SW shrunk their personal item size allowance. I used to bring a backpack that is quite large (like 3" larger than the previously stated size allowed) as my personal item and it always fit under the seat just fine. It is 21" and I never had an issue with it and I was never questioned about it on over a dozen SW flights. Now that they have lowered the limit from 18" to 16", I am a little concerned because now my bag is not 3" over...it's 5" over :eek:. I'm always on the lookout for new luggage and I would love a new travel backpack, but since I only fly once a year, I really don't *need* a new travel backpack....or do I???:confused::scratchin

I'm curious if anyone has seen or experienced any issues with their personal items being questioned. I supposed if it really came down to it, I could pack appropriately and if they tell me that I cannot use it as a personal item, I can throw it in the overhead and they can take my 19" rolling carry-on at the gate and check it instead of using it as my carry-on. I'll just have to make sure that my battery packs are in my backpack and not in my carry-on.

And on that topic...if that were to happen, and I am on a connecting flight, would I have to specifically tell them that I need to have my bag GATE CHECKED? Or would they make me go to baggage claim to retrieve it?

I see that SW shrunk their personal item size allowance. I used to bring a backpack that is quite large (like 3" larger than the previously stated size allowed) as my personal item and it always fit under the seat just fine. It is 21" and I never had an issue with it and I was never questioned about it on over a dozen SW flights. Now that they have lowered the limit from 18" to 16", I am a little concerned because now my bag is not 3" over...it's 5" over :eek:. I'm always on the lookout for new luggage and I would love a new travel backpack, but since I only fly once a year, I really don't *need* a new travel backpack....or do I???:confused::scratchin

I'm curious if anyone has seen or experienced any issues with their personal items being questioned. I supposed if it really came down to it, I could pack appropriately and if they tell me that I cannot use it as a personal item, I can throw it in the overhead and they can take my 19" rolling carry-on at the gate and check it instead of using it as my carry-on. I'll just have to make sure that my battery packs are in my backpack and not in my carry-on.

And on that topic...if that were to happen, and I am on a connecting flight, would I have to specifically tell them that I need to have my bag GATE CHECKED? Or would they make me go to baggage claim to retrieve it?
I wouldn’t worry about it. As long as you are able to put in under the seat in front of you, I can’t see them making a fuss.

As someone who only travels with a carryon and personal item, I’m always worried about breaking the size rules, so I always watch to see what others have. I have seen plenty of people board with clearly larger bags than allowed, travel pillows, shopping bags, etc., and nobody has said anything to them. While they certainly could, I just don’t see flight attendants wanting to start having to police that. As long as there is overhead bin room, it seems like they are not going to make an issue.

They didn't shrink the allowance, it's the same as it's always been. It must fit completely underneath the seat in front of you. What has changed is the smallest dimension of the underseat area. With adding the power outlets and other changes, Southwest finally got around to updating their website and CoC to match what's actually on the planes. It's been known for years that there is less space under the aisle seat than there is under the window seat.

If you're on a connecting flight and you have something gate checked, you will pick it up at baggage claim at your final destination. Valet checking, where you pick it up on the jetway is only done for I believe strollers and wheelchairs on Southwest.

I also have a large 21.5 inch backpack. It fits under the seat and I'm almost always on the aisle. It hasn't been questioned.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter