Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Or maybe just get Early Bird for everyone so you can make sure that everyone can sit together.
The poster was (accurately as well) just making a correction to your post. There will be times that an FA will say "no seat saving" but that is up to that FA although a good point to make that at times an FA may make this announcement.

SWA's policy has been for a long time and for the present that they are neither for nor against it. Seat saving is a touchy subject here (and I've seen it be talked about on and off) but so long as a poster knows passengers have the ability to sit where ever (well according to FAA rules that are like exit row qualifications) including a seat you may be trying to save for someone else (or to not have someone next to you) that's the pertinent part.

For the poster's situation (the one with 4 people in their party with 2 of them being children) purchasing EBCI increases the odds of boarding early but does not necessarily mean everyone will be able to sit together (one of the reasons I commented about SWA's seating configuration being 3X3). I personally would suggest purchasing of EBCI and heading towards the back but would stop short of advising them something that which SWA does not strictly have (seat saving policy) but that's why I did made sure to say in another poster that passengers can still sit there.

I've seen FA's save seats for passengers, I've had them announce no seat saving, and more often than not they don't say anything. Really the goal is to get the plane pushed back as quickly as possible so unless it's causing a problem (and I can't say I've ever witnessed a problem) they are less inclined to make a fuss about it with an actual operation policy enforced on all flights.

I just checked in for our flight right at the 24 hour mark. I got the last 3 A boarding passes for me, DH, and DS 10, but DD 8 is B01. What are the chances they'd let her board with the rest of us at the end of the A group before family boarding? If not, would the counter agents be able to swap boarding passes for her and my husband so I could board with the kids at the end of A and he could join us after family boarding?

Worst case scenario, one of us will just wait and board with her at the beginning of B boarding but I'd love to be able to get three seats for sure before family boarding.
This happened to me on our last trip with my then 2YO and me with A59 and A60 and my hubs ended up getting B1. Since we knew that we fit family boarding's criteria but didn't want to get sucked up in that rat race (reason why we bought early bird to avoid just this scenario and still ended up with a B spot :crazy2:), I asked the gate agent very politely if it would be okay for my hubs to board with us at the end of the As since we held A59 and A60. She said no problem. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to ask before they start boarding because the worst thing would be that they would say no. I know some of the other posters in this thread feel very strongly that it is wrong to ask but I don't.

In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to ask before they start boarding because the worst thing would be that they would say no. I know some of the other posters in this thread feel very strongly that it is wrong to ask but I don't.
The issue with your situation and I'm being respectful here is that you were going to do what you wanted to do anyways. I remember the conversation with several of us posters on here. When you didn't like the answer you just said you were going to do what you wanted to do regardless. A bit different approach than the PP despite having the same problem

The issue with your situation and I'm being respectful here is that you were going to do what you wanted to do anyways. I remember the conversation with several of us posters on here. When you didn't like the answer you just said you were going to do what you wanted to do regardless. A bit different approach than the PP despite having the same problem
Yes I remembered being lectured when I posed the same question.

The vote isn't scheduled until May so the only updates we'll have before then are on mediation/negotiations and the next mediation isn't until Tuesday.
I was talking over this with my husband.

It does have me concerned but legally they cannot strike unless Federal government gives them the go ahead and then there's a complicated pause even after they agree to this and the President still has the authority to basically un-strike them if that makes sense.

On the other hand these pilots have been put through the ringer throughout the pandemic and this most recent huge blow up over the holidays. I hope continued talks occur and things get smoothed out by the time voting happens.

ETA: I should also note you need to use your own Boarding passes, do not give your Boarding pass to one of your children and then have the gate agent scan the pass belonging to your child for you. Everyone needs to use their own Boarding passes

Thanks!

I definitely don't plan to just give our daughter one of our boarding passes and totally get that our only option might be for one of us to wait until B boarding starts and board with her then. Fx there won't be too many family groups and we can still manage to sit together.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever been in a situation like this before and had luck with either being allowed to board together or getting the desk agents to actually swap the boarding passes so DD 8 has A59 and DH gets B01. But I suppose even if this has been done for people in the past, that's no guarantee in the future. We'll just ask about options at the desk when we get there and see what they say.

FYI, I had a very similar situation (9 year old separate in boarding number from Mom, Dad, two siblings).

The SW gate agent specifically told me to have 9 scan in with me and siblings on my husband's pass and have him board on her pass. This was when I went over to ask if she could swap it in the system.

Not sure if she was just giving bad info: clearly all employees don't fully understand all company policy. But, we've done it twice now in this situation without anyone batting an eye.

FYI, I had a very similar situation (9 year old separate in boarding number from Mom, Dad, two siblings).

The SW gate agent specifically told me to have 9 scan in with me and siblings on my husband's pass and have him board on her pass. This was when I went over to ask if she could swap it in the system.

Not sure if she was just giving bad info: clearly all employees don't fully understand all company policy. But, we've done it twice now in this situation without anyone batting an eye.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m going to check with the gate agent when we get there but it makes me optimistic they’ll help us work something out.

i have a question about ebci, with the 2 free we get with the credit card. my husband is the cardholder. we have 2 different reservations on the same flights, is it possible to get the 2 on separate reservations? also, when it says you get 2 free a year, is that calendar year, or does it reset on anniversary of the card date?

we have 2 different reservations on the same flights, is it possible to get the 2 on separate reservations?

Yes. He can charge his, then charge yours. If you have the 10% on Chase SW right now, it'll give you credit for one, too, even though it gets fully refunded. That was a nice little surprise I had when a SW 10% overlapped me using a SW refundable credit for upgraded baording.

also, when it says you get 2 free a year, is that calendar year, or does it reset on anniversary of the card date?

Card anniversary, sort of. Look in your Chase portal at your card benefits on browser. It will have a note that say "Benefits reset after the card closing in MONTH". That's your reset. It will line up with your card anniversary and annual fee hitting, unless you've messed around with your card closing date sufficiently.

Yes. He can charge his, then charge yours. If you have the 10% on Chase SW right now, it'll give you credit for one, too, even though it gets fully refunded. That was a nice little surprise I had when a SW 10% overlapped me using a SW refundable credit for upgraded baording.

Card anniversary, sort of. Look in your Chase portal at your card benefits on browser. It will have a note that say "Benefits reset after the card closing in MONTH". That's your reset. It will line up with your card anniversary and annual fee hitting, unless you've messed around with your card closing date sufficiently.
thank you, i appreciate it!
also, my mil is in a wheelchair for the 1st time, how does boarding work for her? is it normal boarding position when she checks in, or do they take care of her at the gate? she is able to walk on the plane.

thank you, i appreciate it!
also, my mil is in a wheelchair for the 1st time, how does boarding work for her? is it normal boarding position when she checks in, or do they take care of her at the gate? she is able to walk on the plane.

She will get to preboard with 1 family member. They’ll wheel her down the jetway & then she can walk onto the plane. If the gate agent doesn’t notice you when you get to the gate, just talk with them & they’ll let you know what you’ll do.

Flew out of MCO yesterday morning. I had gotten signed out of the app so got no reminder to check in at T-24, finally remembered at T-14 and got C-32, immediately purchased the upgraded boarding on the app and got A15. Two years ago, something similar happened and I purchased at the counter and got A1. I think having that available online has greatly increased the usage of it. My flight down I checked in exactly at T-24 and was B32.
(Semantics) Southwest does not prohibit seat saving.

Yes, you can get a real pain who wants to sit there, best to head towards the back, etc, but most people if you say I'm saving for my spouse, will honor it.

Comments from southwest when people complain -

'As all flights on Southwest are open seating, it is not uncommon for Customers to save a seat(s) for their travel companion(s) in a later boarding group. We don't have a policy for or against saving seats, as long as the boarding process isn't delayed and other Customers are not inconvenienced.'

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Check-In-Boarding/Saving-Seats/td-p/70948
Southwest does not explicitly allow or prohibit seat saving. If you are trying to save an aisle seat in row 4, you're going to get pushback, trying to save a middle in row 20? Not nearly an issue. If you pay for upgraded boarding plant yourself in an aisle seat and tell the entire B group they can't have the window seat in that row, high likelihood that it's going to be an issue. It's mainly left to the individual flight attendants to do what is reasonable. Same issue with Family Boarding, some gate agents are very strict about it, others are not, and still others get rid of it all together.

If you are trying to save an aisle seat in row 4, you're going to get pushback, trying to save a middle in row 20? Not nearly an issue.
Funny you mention this just like I said in my previous comment my advice is to generally head towards the back with family.

Well last night my husband was flying back from Baltimore last non-stop of the night (though second to last flight back) and the plane was just over half full so people would have some wiggle room. Apparently there was a woman who sat in the aisle seat trying to save the other two seats so she'd have the row to herself. A man boarded just about last and ended up choosing to sit in the window seat of the row she was in.

I asked my husband "was she sitting towards the front?" and he said "yup the 3rd row". Had she done at the very least the middle of the plane (sans exit rows though) or back she would have had a much higher chance of it working. I guess she looked mildly annoyed but didn't say anything. IDK why you would even attempt it being that close to the front and a window seat at that.

Funny you mention this just like I said in my previous comment my advice is to generally head towards the back with family.

Well last night my husband was flying back from Baltimore last non-stop of the night (though second to last flight back) and the plane was just over half full so people would have some wiggle room. Apparently there was a woman who sat in the aisle seat trying to save the other two seats so she'd have the row to herself. A man boarded just about last and ended up choosing to sit in the window seat of the row she was in.

I asked my husband "was she sitting towards the front?" and he said "yup the 3rd row". Had she done at the very least the middle of the plane (sans exit rows though) or back she would have had a much higher chance of it working. I guess she looked mildly annoyed but didn't say anything. IDK why you would even attempt it being that close to the front and a window seat at that.
We were on a flight where we saw - first the first time- someone who was trying to save two seats and a man get on and take one of them. This was probably something like row 8 and the plane was loading the C group by the time the man took the "saved" seat. I inwardly cheered for the man who took the seat. :)

We were on a flight where we saw - first the first time- someone who was trying to save two seats and a man get on and take one of them. This was probably something like row 8 and the plane was loading the C group by the time the man took the "saved" seat. I inwardly cheered for the man who took the seat. :)
I don't personally have a strong opinion either way. I think people just need to be realistic and understand what can happen on both sides. If you want to save a seat at least use a tad bit of social logic here lol.

Like it's not worth a huge plane fight to save a seat nor to take a seat attempting to be saved and so far I've yet to see a brawl occur.

TBH I actually see much more issues with airlines that have seats assigned where people just take it upon themselves to sit in someone's seat or to put up such a stink about switching seats so they can sit with so and so.

Not exactly seat saving, but on our flight down Sunday morning there were only 2 preboard parties. We had A 2 & 3 so we able to see the whole plane board. The first preboard was a woman in a wheelchair & her husband. They took the 2nd row, not the first row. We were right behind them in row 3. She was in the aisle & her husband in the window. She had a bag in the middle seat for the longest time. The attendant announced it was going to be a totally full flight so if you have something on a seat trying to save it, that isn’t going to work this flight. Anyway, a man who was about the 3 last to board stopped & said he needs to sit in that middle seat. She let out a big sigh, said she’ll move to the middle seat & proceeded to make a pretty good show of having trouble sliding in & needing her husband to help her over. I don’t know why she didn’t take the first row if she had such an issue sliding in. Or why she seemed to think she wasn’t gonna have to move for anyone to sit there. 🙄

I poster here a while back about my son breaking his leg, so we had to buy an extra seat. We were told to call after the flights were completed and we'd be refunded. Well this was just a couple days before the meltdown. So I tried, but couldn't get thru. About a week later, I did finally get someone who told me I had to do it online. Except online seems to only be for those who were impacted by delayed/cancelled flights. But I went ahead and did it. Got a response that I needed to provide receipts for anything I was requesting like hotels etc. I replied that it wasn't due to that and it was an extra seat for a medical reason. Response was it was being escalated. That was 3 weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything or been refunded. I'll call back but just wondering if anyone has any tips.

I poster here a while back about my son breaking his leg, so we had to buy an extra seat. We were told to call after the flights were completed and we'd be refunded. Well this was just a couple days before the meltdown. So I tried, but couldn't get thru. About a week later, I did finally get someone who told me I had to do it online. Except online seems to only be for those who were impacted by delayed/cancelled flights. But I went ahead and did it. Got a response that I needed to provide receipts for anything I was requesting like hotels etc. I replied that it wasn't due to that and it was an extra seat for a medical reason. Response was it was being escalated. That was 3 weeks ago. Still haven't heard anything or been refunded. I'll call back but just wondering if anyone has any tips.
I would call again and explain. I called yesterday about the refund of EBCI for my canceled flights as I didn't receive that refund with the ticket I submitted for hotel reimbursement. I only had to wait on hold for about 10 minutes before getting through, and customer service was very thorough and helpful and they were able to work through the ticket issue vs the EBCI issue.

You need to call to get the extra seat refunded. That was an error on the part of whoever answered the phone. I also had to get an extra seat refunded during that time frame. I called on December 29th, prepared for a looong wait. The entire call took 7 minutes. The refund can take up to 30 days, and last time my daughter used it, it took every bit of that - still waiting this time, too. Ironically, I filled out the form before I called because I wanted to avoid the wait. I got a response (way after I’d already called and taken care of it) telling me that I needed to call for the seat refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter