Lump Sum or Annuity

• Lump Sum

Votes: 109 82.6%
  • Annuity

Votes: 23 17.4%

• Total voters

EACarlson

DIS Veteran
Seeing that no one won last night and the next drawing Friday is going to be for 1,500,000,000 got me thinking. How many would take the Lump Sum and how many would take Annuity? And why? I'll post my response around lunchtime.

Lump sum - my DH looked into the payments for the annuity and you get small payments for like the first 10 years, like $9m/year and it's not until like year 10 that it really jumps up..

so we're taking the Lump sum!

I was just reading an article about why the annuity might be the better option, but it really depends. Personally, since I would be investing a lot of it and managing it smartly, I think the lump sum would be just fine.

I bought a ticket for last night too, but I didn't win. I don't buy them all that often, but ocassionally when the jackpot is pretty big I will.

I'm on the fence and will make the decision when (not if) I win it :rotfl2:

If we did the annuity, it would done into a lottery trust we'd set up. That way, should anything happen to me (assuming I claim the prize), then my wife and/or son and anyone else listed in the trust could continue to receive the annual payments until the 29th year. I'm 50 now, so should I still be around, last payment would be paid to me at almost 80 years old. My son is only 20, so he could potentially be set up until he's age.

However, with the lump sum, it gives us more opportunity to earn some of that back, in the form of capital gain (investments), which gains rates are more favorable than ordinary income rates. Even with taking the lump sum, there's PLENTY to tie up (and maybe lose) in the market and still have plenty to live a lavish lifestyle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter