Pre-boarding with Southwest Airlines

ClaraOswald

DIS Veteran
It's been a year since we've flown and I honestly can't remember now.

But does anyone ever ask for pre-boarding due to disability? If so, do you ask at the time when you're checking bags or do you wait and ask at the gate?

My son is autistic and pre-boarding was super helpful on previous trips so we could get him in and situated without the stress of waiting in a long line. I'm always so worried about when to ask for pre-boarding though.

Not sure about Southwest, but there are some airlines where I have requested it during booking trips online. In my experience they'll usually ask me if I want a wheelchair when I give them my baggage, check to see where I am at before the flight while I wait at the gate, let me on prior to the boarding call, and then have a wheelchair waiting for me at the destination. When I haven't done that, I'll almost always go on the plane as part of the pre-boarding part.

I think you have to check in with the customer service rep at the counter near the gates (even if not, they should be able to tell you what to do). I know you line up near the podium where they scan tickets, but not where the numbered columns are (perpendicular to them usually)

Go into your reservation details. Underneath your name on the reservation there is a tab for special assistance. Click on that and there is an add/edit feature for disability options. Filling that out will make sure it is on his boarding pass.

I agree to check the website to try to do it in advance. I ask for extra time and they usually let me pre-board with my rollator - I ask at the gate. If you're boarding with the wheelchairs, only one family member can go with the person needed extra time fyi. I think if you're doing the "extra time" boarding (after the A group and military, etc. but before B group), your whole family can go together. You may want to double check me on that. If you have more people, you may want the "before B group" boarding which is mostly families with little kids.

Go into your reservation details. Underneath your name on the reservation there is a tab for special assistance. Click on that and there is an add/edit feature for disability options. Filling that out will make sure it is on his boarding pass.

Yeah, his info has that but it doesn't automatically give pre-boarding status on his ticket, unfortunately. I'm always nervous they won't let us since he doesn't have a physical disability. But man...without it...I worry about starting the trip out on the totally wrong foot.

Just a FYI
I live in Orlando and fly Southwest fairly often unusually group B🤣)
The planes flying in and out of Orlando are usually full.
Southwest does have a program where you can pay more (of course 🤬) and board with Group A)
Flying is crowded these days hopefully your trip will be easy.

Last edited:
Yeah, his info has that but it doesn't automatically give pre-boarding status on his ticket, unfortunately. I'm always nervous they won't let us since he doesn't have a physical disability. But man...without it...I worry about starting the trip out on the totally wrong foot.
We always pre-board my autistic 9-year-old with his dad only. They sit near the back, as the only need to pre-board is to ensure that he has a trusted adult sitting next to him. We have never had an issue getting it, and we fly often on Southwest. My son is not physically disabled either, but he does stand out a little when boarding as he wears headphones and is often stimming. We ask at the gate, but you can do it online too as mentioned above.
Just a FYI
I live in Orlando and fly Southwest fairly often unusually group B🤣)
The planes flying in and out of Orlando are usually full. As pp said they board Group A first 60 people and then the pre board line that can also be long with people in wheelchairs and others needing a little extra time. This line is sometimes 10-15 or more people.
Then come people with children under 6?
And at last my Group B.
Southwest does have a program where you can pay more (of course 🤬) and board with Group A)
Flying is crowded these days hopefully your trip will be easy.
Pre-boarding is actually before Group A.

Thanks, all.
And yeah, in our experience, pre-boarding was before group A so he didn't have to wait in a long line inside the jet way. They let just both board with him last time, which I hope they will again because he will freak out if we are separated. We always chose a seat near the front so we can get off quicker, it's not as loud, and it doesn't feel turbulence as much. Crossing my fingers for smooth flights! This will be his longest flights ever so I'm pretty nervous.

Thanks, all.
And yeah, in our experience, pre-boarding was before group A so he didn't have to wait in a long line inside the jet way. They let just both board with him last time, which I hope they will again because he will freak out if we are separated. We always chose a seat near the front so we can get off quicker, it's not as loud, and it doesn't feel turbulence as much. Crossing my fingers for smooth flights! This will be his longest flights ever so I'm pretty nervous.
If both parents are needed to board with him to keep him calm, just explain that at the gate when requesting to have it added to your tickets. It won't be an issue, since that is what he needs to keep him calm and ensure a safe and calm flight for other travelers.

Don't feel bad about taking a seat near the front if that is what makes everything smoother for him. We take a seat in the back and have my son only board with one parent as that works best for us right now. Each person with a disability has different needs, and you know what works best for your son. Safe and happy travels!

I'm disabled, a pre-boarder, and confirmed Southwest user. Officially, the time to request pre board is usually when you buy your tickets. However, just tell the agent when you check in. And if you can. go on-line as a PP described. When you get to the gate area, look around for the pre-board area to wait there. If there's no sign you can see, ask the gate agent where it is. Before you get there, however, be sure that they marked it on your boarding pass that you're pre boarding. If you're not sure, check with the counter at the gate. Southwest is pretty helpful. One year I fractured my pelvis days before a trip and I could barely move without terrible pain. DH told everyone from Southwest, and they were great!

I agree to check the website to try to do it in advance. I ask for extra time and they usually let me pre-board with my rollator - I ask at the gate. If you're boarding with the wheelchairs, only one family member can go with the person needed extra time fyi. I think if you're doing the "extra time" boarding (after the A group and military, etc. but before B group), your whole family can go together. You may want to double check me on that. If you have more people, you may want the "before B group" boarding which is mostly families with little kids.
By law, all disability boarding must be offered *before* any other early boarding, such as military or elite status.

I may be misunderstanding your A, B, etc groups… not a SW flyer because they don’t operate much out of my airport. But I wanted to make that clear, because a lot of airlines don’t do it in the right order even 🤦‍♀️… and sometimes you have to speak up.

So no argument with you personally Selket… just a PSA of sorts. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
By law, all disability boarding must be offered *before* any other early boarding, such as military or elite status.

I may be misunderstanding your A, B, etc groups… not a SW flyer because they don’t operate much out of my airport. But I wanted to make that clear, because a lot of airlines don’t do it in the right order even 🤦‍♀️… and sometimes you have to speak up.

People who have a disability and one person travelling with them are able to board before anyone as long as it is marked on the ticket.

For us they usually print a paper ticket out when checking our bags to designate the preboarding.

The family groups with children 6 and under are allowed to board between A and B.

Edit: meant between A & B instead of B & C

Last edited:

Yes SW offers that and usually that's where they put me. But if you just want extra time on Southwest and have a large group I think boarding with the little kids works well because your whole family can go with you and not just one person. There's still lots of seats left at that point but likely mid-plane and back.

Yes SW offers that and usually that's where they put me. But if you just want extra time on Southwest and have a large group I think boarding with the little kids works well because your whole family can go with you and not just one person. There's still lots of seats left at that point but likely mid-plane and back.
Two people can accompany the child during family boarding on SW, not the entire family. Sometimes the gate agents are lax and allow more, but generally the MCO flights - to and from - are pretty stringent.

Not necessarily - sounds as though SW might be exempt from that policy.

https://www.transportation.gov/airc...a passenger,board before all other passengers.

Except, an airline with an open seating policy has been approved by DOT to accommodate extra-time passengers after an initial group of passengers have boarded, but early in the boarding process.

SW preboards pax who use wheelchairs. Many can walk the short distance from the cabin door to a seat near the front of the plane but would need an aisle wheelchair to get to a seat further back. Same issue with in flight use of the bathroom.

Other pax with disabilities could be offered later boarding.

I just took SW this week. I heard the gate agent announce, to board in this order:
Pre-Boards
Group A,
then people needing extra time, Active Military, and A-Listers,
then family boarding
Group B
Group C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter