Pre-Med and Med School?

vtowngrl

Earning My Ears
I have two years left of Highschool, but I think I found a major. Ive been thinking about going into nursing for awhile now, but now Ive been thinking about taking it a step further and going into med school. Is there anyone here that is a premed major or in medschool? I've been trying my best on my own to look up information on it at collegeboard.com and princeton review, but any input about how it is and how much you like it is greatly appreciated. Also, what happens if you decide after college that med school isnt what you want, what do you do with premed as your major? Thanks in advance!

I'm only a pharmacist but DD is currently a second year resident in Family Practice. Pre-med is not a major. There are certain courses necessary to be pre-med, but you can major in just about anything (med schools are looking for some well-rounded individuals, not only science majors). DD majored in Biology and minored in French.

im going into pre-pharm next year...its the same curriculum as pre-med except you go into pharamcy school after two years. its definatly going to be challenging, but im ready for it. do what im doing...take a AP bio or a AP chem and make sure u like the field! im taking AP chem and i know i will enjoy being a pharmacist!

Major in something you like and then get all your premed classes. Like KarenNY said- pre-med isn't a major (although my school had something that looks a lot like it). You'll probably find that you'll go back and forth as to what you want to do with your life once you get to college. I hated chemistry in high school (and didn't do too well in it) but now am a chemistry graduate student working on my Masters!

Many students who get accepted into the best medical schools are English majors or something else unrelated. Shows that you are well-rounded and schools are impressed that you can succeed at both. Although being a chemistry major myself most people I know in med school now were chemistry or biology majors. BF is currently in med school and was a biology major.

I'm an Animals science major with an option in Pre-Vet. This means that when I graduate my degree will say animals sciences, but I have taken the required courses I need to get into vet school if I do decide to go. I know that the pre-med option is the same at my school. I reccomend that you take AP bio and chem while still in HS. And also make sure that you really think about the differences between nursing and pre-med. Though they are similar, they're very different as well. A few of my friends are in the nursing program here at my school and their classes are often very different than the pre-med classes.

Still being in high school, you have another option called linked programs. Linked programs can vary between 6 years and the normal 8 years in duration. Most medical schools have these types of programs even if they do not share a campus with the undergrad institution. The best places for finding info are the AACOM and AAMC web sites.
BTW, I'm one of those BA in English medical student types. I am very glad I took more than just the required science classes though as having a stronger background in biochemistry and physiology has helped me greatly. I can view the big picture clinically oriented information without struggling through the background information. PM me if you have more specific questions about the experience of applying and attending med school.

You might want to read White Coat and On Call- two books that recount the difficult days of med school and residency. It really makes you think twice, it is a ton of studying, reading, and dedication. While in med-school/residency, you will have little time for hobbies and other fun things. You might also want to check out www.collegeconfidential.com for their pre-med forum. Good Luck :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter