Premium AP Question

simba_one

"I wash my hands of this weirdness!"
We got back from the DLR a month ago now :-)sad2: it's gone so quick) and we're already planning for 2008!! :goodvibes I dunno, it just happens.... :rotfl:

This summer we got Deluxe Annual Passes in order to make the most of both full days and half days, early mornings, just Fantasmic!, just fireworks, etc. and it worked out great for us. We got 2 Deluxe passes and 1 Deluxe with parking to save on our parking. I'm currently calculating (rough) prices for our next trip, bearing in mind that AP's will no doubt go up a "bit"(?) by 2008 :(, and have had what I'm classing a bright idea. :idea:

We got 10% off food this summer but obviously nothing on merchandise - which was sometimes confusing as we had AP's for Universal too and got discounts on everything there - if only Disney were able to be as carefree with their discounts. However, I was thinking... when we used our AP's to purchase food for the whole family only one pass was looked at. I suppose this is a silly question but only one person really needs the discount don't they? Like parking. We buy A LOT of stuff at the parks and spend an absolute fortune so we really want to take advantage next time and spend a little more in the first place (buying Premium AP's) but make our money back with the 15% off food and 10% off merchandise.

So, what my ultimate question is, is can ONE person get a Premium AP (therefore they get the free parking for us and they always purchase the food and the merchandise so we get that discounted too) and the others get the normal Deluxe AP's???

I don't know why we didn't think of this for this year. We'll save an absolute ton!!! There's only 3 of us so we wouldn't be taking the ::MickeyMo TOO much. But is that allowed anyway? Or am I just thinking we'd be taking advantage of the service? Obviously we'd still not be allowed to go to the Resort on Saturdays (although one would), but we never did anyway.

If anyone could advise me as to whether this plan will work, I'd be extremely greateful!! :thumbsup2

We are a fam of 3 as well, we bought Premiums in 2004-2005. Honestly I thought about what your thinking about now right after I'd made the purchase. I say only buy 1 premium and the others a deluxe.You really only need one premuim to take advantage of the deals. You are correct they do only look at 1 pass. And I believe that if you have your 2 deluxes and you want to go into the park on a blocked day then you only pay an extra $20 - $30 per passholder (deluxe) which sure beats the regular ticket price. But if you plan it right you won't go on a blocked day.

How much do you spend on things at the park that you would get a discount for? The price difference between the two (deluxe including parking) is $70. That means you need to spend $700 on merchandise or $1400 on food to make up the price difference. If you will be going on blackout dates as well then the premium is most likely worth the price difference.

While I'm sure that disney would prefer you didn't, there isn't anything wrong with doing that. I remember when DL had only 1 AP type, we could go in every day, had a discount on food and merchandise, and free parking.

We try to avoid blackout dates for that purpose of the "paying extra to get in". But We do always end up buying a lot, and we eat at restruants. But the thing with the AP you should all know is the 10% really isn't that much off. I mean if your bill for dinner is like $50 your discount is only $5.00 then they throw tax on top of that. So where is the real savings. Well I got sick of wondering and heard about the DISNEY VISA card. ANd you'd be surprised at the different discounts it will get you. I will use the AP if there is no disney visa discount but it really isn't a big help. DIsney is expensive no matter how you look at it. And we just swallow it everytime. I've heard many people say the magic is that your money dissappears quickly. But I think if you know that and expect it..... then who cares. Disneyland is worth it. ANd we do visit at least one time a year, there has been 2 years we visited 2 times in the year. But this will be the second time we have done WDW and Disneyland in the same year. WDW June 12 - 26, 2006 and DIsneyland Oct. 8 - 10, 2006!

Last time we went they had a discount on dining some places were 10% (same as ap) and some were 15%. The world of disney store offered a 15% discount on any purchase over $25.00. And almost every store in the parks offered a 10% discount on purchases over $25.00 not to mention the disney visa meet n greet. This is worth it alone. We just did this in WDW and they also offer it in DL. There is a place you can go in the parks where there is a room and they form you in a line. You have to have your Disney Visa with you to show them or you don't get in. They allow one family or group in the room at a time. Inside you have a private meet n greet with up to 3 disney characters and a professional disney photog. is in the room snapping pic's of your family or group. Then you get to choose 1 5x7 to take as your's for free. You are allowed I believe up to 5 minutes alone with the characters. It's so neat. They sign autographs and play with your children. It's so worth it. The visa also gets you discounts on your rooms, and if you are bringing a friend with you that doesn't have a ticket to get in it offers discounts on park tickets. It's a great thing to have.

Thanks for the info/opinions guys. :thumbsup2

samkj We'll be there for 3 weeks and do many a full day (and then there's our mornings, evenings, nights, odd hours, etc.) at Disney which means we'll save on parking a lot of days alone. So, that mixed with food and merchandise (which we do buy a lot of - a LARGE portion of our spending money is spent at Disney - totaling up most of the merchandise receipts when we got home gave us a total of nearly $2000 and that's without food) will be a good enough saving for us.

As you say, we need to make $70+ back in order to save and we'll park at least 7 times so the difference between the Deluxe w/ Parking and the Premium for one of us will do that alone. I just think it'll be nice to know you're buying a lot of stuff but you're getting money off therefore getting a little something (might not be massive amounts but we will save) back from Disney. Which I think we deserve considering how much money we've given them over the past ten years.

Thanks for pointing out how much we'll have to spend to save though. It's just concerning knowing that you give them THAT much money. Where does it all go?? :rotfl:

TinkerbellTris I'm all up for getting a Disney Visa card. One preoblem though... I'm from the UK. They're not available to us!!!! :sad1: Otherwise I'd pay for everything with it. Including the holiday itself. :rotfl: You're so lucky you're eligible for one and get to make those savings and get those privilages. Maybe one day... I want to move to the US so maybe. ;)

Another question... would it be too obvious what we're doing if we were to purchase the 1 Premium and 2 Deluxes on one bill? And going through the turnstiles? No one would say anything would they? Seeing we're a family but have 2 Deluxes and 1 Premium. It's OBVIOUS why we have just 1 Premium. I mean it's all money for them though right?! And at least we bought AP's. :confused3

simba_one said:
Another question... would it be too obvious what we're doing if we were to purchase the 1 Premium and 2 Deluxes on one bill? And going through the turnstiles? No one would say anything would they? Seeing we're a family but have 2 Deluxes and 1 Premium. It's OBVIOUS why we have just 1 Premium. I mean it's all money for them though right?! And at least we bought AP's. :confused3

We've always purchased a Premium AP for me and Deluxe for the rest of the family. It's fine to purchase them all on one bill, and nobody will say anything to you going through the turnstiles. :)

The only person that will be able to pay for meals or merchandise with the discount is the person who has the Premium AP, so think about who actually makes most of the purchases. One time my DH was shopping in the music store, and I wanted to go to another store nearby, and I asked if I could show my pass so he could get the discount when he paid, but they absolutely don't allow that. I had to stay in the music store and pay for his purchase myself. :thumbsup2

simba_one said:

It might be obvious that you are being smart. I can't imagine anyone giving you a hard time about this.

I'd also recommend the Disney Visa for anyone who spends a lot at Disney (if they have that option). I thought the basic discount was 10% for purchases over $50 at most (but not all) shops. The benefits do change from time to time though.

FANTASTIC!! Thanks so much for your insights mareed and CalGal!! :thumbsup2

I didn't think anyone would make an issue of the fact we have different passes but I just wanted to check. The last thing I'd want is to be embarrassed like that at the Happiest Place on Earth!!! Good to know they don't care.

I did see they were strict with who used the cards. We were waiting to pay in the figurine shop at the exit of the Animation Building in DCA and a woman showed her husbands Premium AP and the CM said he has to do it and she pointed to him acorss the store but he had to be called over. I can see why they do it though. Otherwise if they were that slack, anyone could use anyone's Premium AP.

Thanks again for your help!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter