Prepaid sim card

Other companies that offer eSIM plans are GigSky and HolaFly.

HolaFly actually offers unlimited data options.
I was considering using Airalo on my next Disney trip. Do you buy it when you get there or do you buy while in Canada?
I buy it while I am in Canada waiting to get on my flight to the US. Before you put it in Airplane mode switch your data to the eSIM. Then when you land and take your phone off Airplane mode, it will just work.

Yes I buy in Canada and get it installed at home while I have a good wifi connection. One warning about Airalo, the app doesn’t work if you don’t have wifi or data, as in, you can’t even open it to find how to install it if you don’t have wifi or data. (My other complaint is that it doesn’t give you a warning when you’re about to run out of data such that you could top it up, so you have to check it frequently)

If understanding correctly , is the main advantage to eSim that you can still take calls to your Canadian number , and not have to physically remove your existing sim? Is it cheaper than getting an actual us SIM card ?

We had planned to go to a T-Mobile store after crossing the border and purchasing a T-Mobile SIM card with unlimited data for 30 days. We don't need 30 days but it seemed reasonable. We also don't really need calling ability, it is the data we are after.
I would like to report back that we purchased a T-Mobile unlimited card at a T-Mobile store after crossing the border. We had unlimited data, hotspot 10GB and talk and text to US numbers for 30 days. It was $60 +$10 charge. It was super easy to do and worked well for us with kids that wanted to use data on the drive down.

If understanding correctly , is the main advantage to eSim that you can still take calls to your Canadian number , and not have to physically remove your existing sim? Is it cheaper than getting an actual us SIM card ?
Yes, but remember that if you make an outgoing call (and sometimes incoming calls), you're going to get hit with roaming charges. So it's beneficial to call using apps like WhatsApp or WeChat.

For me, I like to keep my home number active in case there's an issue at home, or a tenant (we own a couple of duplexes) needs to reach me.

Yes absolutely - can still have primary number available if I have to take a call or receive a text. So basically you can have two SIMs. Maybe some android phones already allow two physical sims? Idk.

You could still use WhatsApp with a new physical sim as WhatsApp will ask if you want to keep using it with your current #.

As for cost, it’s been a long time since I bought a US SIM card. But I paid $16 USD for 5gb of data that lasts 30 days. I still had about 2gb left after our ten day trip. Telus roam like home is at least $12 per day now.

So, I know this reply might be fashionably late, but hear me out. If you're still scratching your head over snagging a prepaid US SIM card for your trip, I've got some insight to share. Picture this: you're gearing up for your big adventure, and staying connected is key, right? Well, let me tell you about my recent discovery that totally saved the day: eSIM cards.

100% agree. Ended up using Airalo and it worked beautifully. Still got texts and calls to my regular number, but able to use a set amount of US data for a low fee (I paid $15 I believe that got me 6GB to use over a month). Used it for a couple of trips, and easy to switch back to my Telus sim card when back in Canada.

So, I know this reply might be fashionably late, but hear me out. If you're still scratching your head over snagging a prepaid US SIM card for your trip, I've got some insight to share. Picture this: you're gearing up for your big adventure, and staying connected is key, right? Well, let me tell you about my recent discovery that totally saved the day: eSIM cards. Yep, they're the unsung heroes of hassle-free travel. Before I embarked on my own journey, I did some digging and stumbled upon https://internationalsimcard.com.au/. Their range of options fit the bill perfectly. So, if you're all about maximizing convenience and minimizing those pesky roaming charges, give 'em a look.

Last edited:
I just used Airalo for a trip to Europe. 3 different eSIMs because it was cheaper than getting one that would cover the 3 places I was going to. Worked flawlessly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter