Preparing for Nicole, Rain tips, and other advice!

OP, you're doing the right thing in looking ahead and preparing. I have family going down next week too, so we're keeping an eye on this.

There is a BIG difference in the occasional downpour of rain and a tropical storm/depression and/or lead-up to a hurricane. SO. MUCH. WATER! Umbrellas are not good in those situations, IMO. We've been there through all of those and the rain doesn't let up much, not to mention the wind blowing all that water onto you. One year during a depression, it rained the whole week with maybe two or three times where it stopped, but even then, it was very, very windy and overcast. I think we got to swim one time for about a half hour on that trip.

For me, I feel Crocs are really good in situations like that. I've worn Keens, but when they got wet the straps caused friction and really hurt, as a previous poster mentioned. I've also worn foam-type flip flops (I can't remember if they were sanuk or skechers, but those really squishy ones) and when they get water logged, they hold the water in for days. I've also had a flip flop sucked off my foot leaving MK one night during the tropical depression and the water was a few inches high toward the park entrance. I'm not talking a "puddle", there's no way to avoid the water when it's pouring hard and not draining quickly enough. Animal kingdom parking lot was the same. Crocs stay on your feet when you have them in sport mode. Flip flops or similar are harder to walk in with no back strap/support to help keep them on your feet. If in doubt, imagine wearing any shoes in a bathtub filled with a few inches of water.... because that's what some of walking will be like in some areas. Walking through water is unavoidable in some areas.

We also will use the good ponchos, not the flimsy dollar store ones. When we get to rides and under cover, we take them off so they are inside out, rolling them up and trapping the water in the inside (which is technically the outside of the poncho), then put them in ziplock bags. You just have to be careful when you take them out and flip them right-side out again, if that makes sense. You will get some water, but that's unavoidable in big storms like that. I also wear a baseball hat and keep the poncho hood up. It helps keep the hood part up and shield your face a little better. If you wear a crossbody or backpack, make sure they're under your poncho. Some raincoats may not have enough room for your bags. You can "wear" a small backpack on your front under a poncho, to get things easily.

Another thing to note is that even though it's warmer temps, when you're wet you get cold. 70 degrees in the sun is different than 70 degrees in pouring rain, especially when there's wind. You will get wet, and rain on bare legs in shorts or arms in short sleeves gets chilly.

Aside from those things, we did take afternoon breaks at the resort. Just changing clothes can help a lot. It gives you time to dry the ponchos off with towels and dry your crocs.

All that said, you can have a lot of fun! We still laugh about singing to HEA in the rain, (because they still had the show go on in the rain) and it does lighten the crowds somewhat so you could have lower wait times. Even if it's not an ideal situation, it is what you make of it.

HTH!

When Ian hit people were telling posters how are you not prepared they have been talking about this for days. Now people are telling me I’m over reacting, legit can not win on these boards sometimes
But you're prepared. You're bringing enough rain gear. Weather friendly shoes. Extra footware.

Hurricane can mean power failure. Closed roads. Being confined to your building. Parks closed.

A tropical storm is a different animal. Worse then a regular thunderstorm but not close to a Hurricane.

I wore my Teva sandals in August and they worked great.
Our kids prefer running shoes but they rotated...one day they wore sandals and the next runners (so that the runners had a day to dry before the next wear.

I used both a poncho plus a small umbrella. It helped feeling like rain wasn't pouring down right on me.

One note if it rains...outdoor rains close. So get familiar with the indoor rides so that you can still do things when the rain comes (same if lightning is in the area, even if the rain doesn't hit yet)

One note if it rains...outdoor rides close. So get familiar with the indoor rides so that you can still do things when the rain comes (same if lightning is in the area, even if the rain doesn't hit yet)

So any ride with any portion of it outdoor closes? Thunder Mountain? Splash Mountain? Everest?

So any ride with any portion of it outdoor closes? Thunder Mountain? Splash Mountain? Everest?
I could be wrong, but I think it’s ride dependent I have ridden mine train in the rain for sure, it was drizzle but it was raining

I could be wrong, but I think it’s ride dependent I have ridden mine train in the rain for sure, it was drizzle but it was raining
It started pouring down rain when we were on SDMT one year. My face hurt from the rain drops hitting it so hard since we were also moving. For that reason alone, I wouldn't do the fast ones in the rain.

It started pouring down rain when we were on SDMT one year. My face hurt from the rain drops hitting it so hard since we were also moving. For that reason alone, I wouldn't do the fast ones in the rain.
Might opt out, but the question was if they close… and I don’t think they all close for just rain.

I do remember looking at the app at Magic Kingdom when it rained and outdoor rides were closed...but maybe it was just that day. They also pre-emtively closed when lightning was in the area (and the sky was still blue)

Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but you may want to consider bringing a sweatshirt as well. We were there during Ian, and the days of the hurricane were actually really pretty chilly. Saw tons of brand new 50th sweaters around the Boardwalk area those two days!

We've also been during a tropical storm and found that with the wind umbrellas aren't super helpful (but if it's not too windy they're great!). Ponchos also aren't great with the wind, had mine almost completely blow off while walking around in Ian! So rain jackets are good for those conditions. We also wore athletic/fast drying clothes during the tropical storm which worked well for us.

Also, not clothing related, but as a warning, if its raining and the outdoor rollercoasters are still running, you may want to avoid them. We rode Everest in the rain during the tropical storm and my goodness did that hurt! It was like thousands of needles slamming into our faces going down that hill!

Hope you have a fantastic trip and fingers crossed the storm stays offshore!

Thank you for so many great tips! Finger crossed forecast gets better, and at a minimum the rain doesn’t close to much and we will make the best of a raining week in Disney and Universal!

I just ordered my first pair of crocs, added 2 additional pairs of pants for each of us and a 2nd sweatshirt, even if I wouldn’t mind an excuse to by another!!

If there is lightning involved, yes. And often, there is a lot of lightning in the Orlando area.

If it is only rain some/all may stay open but as others have shared, rain can be painful on a fast moving ride.

The norm though is that most rides with an outdoor portion will temporarily close. It’s easy to see on the app when it’s storming in the MK. Storms can also be quite localized so MK may close at a different time from other parks although Epcot and DHS really only have 1 outdoor attraction (that I can quickly think of) which is different from MK too.

I appreciate all the advice about rain and rides.

I’m attaching a current radar forecast (for Thursday). Unless things change DRAMATICALLY, we’re not talking about “storms”, we’re talking about a large tropical system.

F1A9BC54-4048-4927-9E9C-5364195E881B.png

I’m actually starting to worry a bit about flight delays (that can snowball into cancellations). Our trip is short, Thurs-Sun (only 3 park days), so even losing a day makes things tricky.

I realize this is premature but would WDW allow moving a trip out a few months this close to arrival? I realize we’d probably lose the MVMCP $.

:D -- I found this thread because I posted about this week's weather in the Nov thread. So thank you for creating it. I have never been to WDW when it's been raining (aside from very light temporary rain), so I appreciate this thread.

As I said in the Nov thread, I spent last week dealing with moving my 94 yo Mom and while I had time to glance at the forecast in a weather app, it wasn't until I was home yesterday that I realized that this was a tropical system headed to FL. As you mentioned, that's a totally different situation.

Perhaps it'll move faster. Or perhaps it'll move slower, but unless the highly unlikely event of it turning and moving back out into the Atlantic, it's got the potential to make for a very raining day(s) for some of us.

I hope it's okay to ask here, but what rides close due to rain? I just realized we may be out of luck for the Skyliner for one or 2 of our days if this brings wind -- and that's a huge bummer, but I've never really paid attention to what rides close due to rain (and/or lightning).

We already planned to get disposable ponchos for our group, but I think I'll put in our regular Columbia Rain Jackets too.
I hope your moms doing ok!

I know it does look like it’s shifted a tiny bit already, wed looks wetter and Friday drier….. but honestly I think Thursday will be a washout anyway we cut it! I hope im
Wrong!

I also packed crocs, real rain coats, ziplocks, and extra outfits…. And I have prepped my 8 year old, it’s a mother daughter trip and last time we froze this time we will be soaked maybe next time will be good weather 🤣

I’m actually starting to worry a bit about flight delays (that can snowball into cancellations). Our trip is short, Thurs-Sun (only 3 park days), so even losing a day makes things tricky.
I realize this is premature but would WDW allow moving a trip out a few months this close to arrival? I realize we’d probably lose the MVMCP $.
We were supposed to go to US & IOA this week for our first time. I just cancelled it yesterday.

Note, for any Fall trips we take, I always either buy a package that can be cancelled or I get trip insurance. I had free cancellation with the flights (refundable or transferrable). I don't know how Disney works these days since we stopped going altogether 4 years ago, but we were able to pretty easily find a comparable package (actually a tad better in that we have a different hotel with full Express access) at no additional costs and the US agents were super easy to work with. They even cancelled our non-refundable express pass for us, which was not cheap. We're also rebooking less than a few months out.

I would personally rebook if you can get a new time off and it's not excessively expensive. It's simply not worth paying so much money especially if they do shut down rides. A Tropical storm could do that. A hurricane, though, will close the parks altogether.

Best of luck to you.

If your park days are Friday-Sunday I think you’ll be ok there. However I am not sure what arriving on Thursday is going to look like. I do think you’ll be able to cancel or shift the date no problem. No idea what they would do with MVMCP aside from me you to a not sold out date?

If your park days are Friday-Sunday I think you’ll be ok there. However I am not sure what arriving on Thursday is going to look like. I do think you’ll be able to cancel or shift the date no problem. No idea what they would do with MVMCP aside from me you to a not sold out date?
Park days are Thurs-Sat with arrival (flying) on Thursday morning.

My DH and I could shift our dates a day or two forward (presuming hotel had space) but the other 4 are late 20s with jobs that might not be able to. It’s been hard enough to find dates that worked for this trip!

It’s amazing how quickly you go from “well I’m so sad it’s gonna rain to I hope our flights go as expected on Thursday”.

Park days are Thurs-Sat with arrival (flying) on Thursday morning.

My DH and I could shift our dates a day or two forward (presuming hotel had space) but the other 4 are late 20s with jobs that might not be able to. It’s been hard enough to find dates that worked for this trip!

It’s amazing how quickly you go from “well I’m so sad it’s gonna rain to I hope our flights go as expected on Thursday”.

Yeah, that sucks. I'm sorry.

FYI - current projections. It's going to be a difficult travel week no matter what because even if the center is off from MCO, you're still looking at a wide range of wind and rain impact. Your best hope if you do go is the storm stays east of FL, but if goes consensus (West through Central FL then turning NE to the Carolinas), it will be very wet and difficult to travel through the weekend.

1667826564137.png

Thank you for posting that. I was just going to look for that (I was traveling and then had a busy weekend here — in North Carolina lol).

No sooner do I just accept that a day or two will be raining, I just keep coming back to if we’ll even be able to get there.

I think it’s time to talk to the “kids” and gauge if they are “h*ll yeah we still need to go” or “rescheduling is fine”.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter