Problem - Guests on SSR busses from theme parks to DTD

Why not have the first three hours are free and anything after that is the equal to parking at one of parks. That would cover dining or a movie or shopping.
DTD-Anaheim does something similar, though they also allow a longer stay if you validate your ticket with a purchase/meal somewhere.

Will that happen? Maybe. Maybe not. DTD-Orlando is MUCH bigger than DTD-Anaheim. Paying enough parking attendants, etc. to cover all the entrances and exits would be non-trivial, and there's a limit to how many of them they could close given the total volume of cars in and out of the space. Add to that the fact that most guests would not be paying to park there. After all, most guests are probably playing by the rules, and so will probably not be charged---whether because they are resort guests, AP holders, had validated parking, or what-have-you. So, the cost of those parking attendants has to be made up by increased parking revenue at the parks. Is there enough of a scofflaw market to do that? I don't know.

Barring that change, though, nothing will happen. While you are not allowed to park at DTD to avoid paying for theme park parking, no one says a guest who *did* pay when they are supposed to (or doesn't have to) can't use the WDW Transport system to get where they are going. That includes taking a bus to a resort near your ultimate destination, and walking. After all, people do this all the time when, e.g. headed to MK from AK. Rather than take the MK bus (which dumps you at the TTC) most savvy guests will take the CR bus and walk over.

And to eliminate non guests from using Disney transportation go back to requiring proof when a guest boards the bus that you are staying at a resort or have a unrestricted AP--your KTTW would work or an unrestricted AP (not seasonal APs).

But ANY multi day park ticket, even a base ticket, allows complete use of the Disney Transportation system. That would be just about anybody. As long as that is stated on the ticket media, they will not be able to require resort ID or AP for use of the transportation to/from any resort. As Brian Noble said, any remedy would cost Disney $$$, either by paying people to man parking booths, additional bus costs (drivers, equipment and fuel), lower overall merchandise sales at DtD because local people will avoid the hassle of having parking validated and simply not shop there, etc. There is no easy fix, and again, as far as Disney Parks is concerned, it is likely a non-issue.

My family was at the World last week staying at AKV. We went to DTD from a park a few times and were actually told by staff to go to SSR. Buses weren't crowded at the time, as it was midday, but I could see how it would be a problem at night. We did the water taxi a couple of times from the Spa at SSR, which was nice, but some of the options to get people to and from DTD from a park need to be looked at further.

I like the idea of having buses from the parks to DTD, but upon arrival, they have a destination set to a resort. Make it inconvenient for off-property guests to get a free ride to a park, and they may decide that the hour spent on the bus isn't worth the time.

One day, we wasted 3 hours getting to and from DTD from a park. We wanted to do something stupid, like go eat lunch at Ragland Road, and go back to a park. Won't make that mistake again unless they fix the bus situation.

And, as for the "drop-off only buses" - that is crap! I stood at MK trying to get to SSR to go to the Spa to meet my wife and stood at the stop for SSR for AN HOUR! Not an exaggeration - I noted the time! I had 6 buses stop at the stop only doing drop-offs. I asked 2 drivers if there was a bus going to SSR and one actually got on the radio to find out. Answer - "There should be one coming soon." 15 minutes later, a drop-off driver at another stop called me over and said he'd take me to SSR, since his route for pick-ups had been changed to SSR - when I say pick-ups, I mean he was drop-off only at MK, then routed to SSR to pick up people to do another drop-off only at MK. Someone mentioned Disney tries to use the buses efficiently. We stopped at every stop at SSR and no one got on. At the last stop - closest to the Spa - I got off and there were a handful of people who got on. How is running an empty bus to a location efficient when there are passengers who are standing in line needing to get to a resort and you can't put them on an empty bus?

So there is more proof of Disney directing people to the SSR busses to go to DTD. This is just not right for SSR guests. The worst times are in evenings/at night and after the AK parade.

Maybe they could start a bus from the parks at 1pm to Downtown Disney.

I work in the IT field and I think the bus system could utilize more technology to better plan and run the service to save money AND to be better for guests. If Disney goes to RFID for tickets and or room keys and requires everyone to carry some sort of card with this information, they could also have sensors at every bus stop to monitor and determine exact needs including those in wheelchairs and ECVs (if that info is included on the RFID info)

So there is more proof of Disney directing people to the SSR busses to go to DTD. This is just not right for SSR guests. The worst times are in evenings/at night and after the AK parade.

Maybe they could start a bus from the parks at 1pm to Downtown Disney.

I work in the IT field and I think the bus system could utilize more technology to better plan and run the service to save money AND to be better for guests. If Disney goes to RFID for tickets and or room keys and requires everyone to carry some sort of card with this information, they could also have sensors at every bus stop to monitor and determine exact needs including those in wheelchairs and ECVs (if that info is included on the RFID info)

I don't think there was ever any denial on Disney's part that they were suggesting for people to bus to SSR for DtD from a park. SSR is part of the WDW Transportation System. All resorts pay fees to the system, and the system is available for all guests. From Disney's perspective, nothing needs fixing. If SSR does not wish to continue to be a part of the system, the resort could contract with an outside bus operator. However, you would not not get the same bus drop off/pick up points at the parks. You'd likley be dropped at the TTC, not the Magic Kingdom, and for other parks you'd be in the same drop offs as the off-site bus areas. Would that that be better? I don't think there is anything in our DVC purchase agreements that guarantees that every DVC resort use WDW Transportation.

Then Disney should be providing SSR with additional busses ESPECIALLY in the evenings to accommodate the extra people going someplace else instead of just based on SSR occupancy. Pop Century and the All Stars don't have to deal with this so why would Disney want to put SSR guests and DVC members who are frequent guests at a disadvantage? I just think this is a bad way to save a buck on disney's part at SSR's expense. As they continue to add more to DTD I really do think they should offer transportation directly from each park (closer than the TTC). More people are wanting to go to DTD from the parks so the need a bus that says DTD not SSR

I don't think there was ever any denial on Disney's part that they were suggesting for people to bus to SSR for DtD from a park. SSR is part of the WDW Transportation System. All resorts pay fees to the system, and the system is available for all guests. From Disney's perspective, nothing needs fixing. If SSR does not wish to continue to be a part of the system, the resort could contract with an outside bus operator. However, you would not not get the same bus drop off/pick up points at the parks. You'd likley be dropped at the TTC, not the Magic Kingdom, and for other parks you'd be in the same drop offs as the off-site bus areas. Would that that be better? I don't think there is anything in our DVC purchase agreements that guarantees that every DVC resort use WDW Transportation.

Why do owners pay dues for transportation. Your argument seems to forget this?

Why do owners pay dues for transportation. Your argument seems to forget this?

No, it doesn't forget it at all. Dues pay for the resort to be a part of the overall WDW transportation system, they do not pay specifically to only link that resort to the parks, but for the guests of that resort to be able to use the entire system, just as the other non-SSR guests using SSR busses have paid through their dues, their cash room rental and/or their purchase of a multi-day park ticket.

It is a transportation system, it is not a charter bus from the resort to the parks.

I haven't read the whole thread but what a horribly inefficient way to get to a park, just so save a little bit of $$.

We always stay onsite and while I enjoy being there, I always dread DtD day b/c of the long bus ride.

Just my opinion.

Voice your concerns to Member Satisfaction, they are aware of the situation and working on it.

Voice your concerns to Member Satisfaction, they are aware of the situation and working on it.

I did thanks....what did you mean by try are aware of the issue and working on it? (transportation to DTD from parks or parks from DTD?)

They have been aware for at least two years and have done nothing yet. Last year when i spoke to one ofthe ssr managers they told me they were aware of the problem, and would be looking in to it, he admitted the hotel plaza guests were using ssr busses. At that i gave up if they know and do nothing whats the point of complaining.

Because the more people that complain about the same issue they will be forced to look into it

I got a call back from the Disney Vacation Club and they have sent my letter to the managers and SSR leadership team and will be reviewing SSR transportation soon. We'll see if anything happens down the road

you right, but wrong about what the problem is IMO. The problem is Disney could care less. They teach the cast members to smile and make nice, act concerned, and if it looks like a scene, or ligit complaint is at hand, they go right to the comped ticket box. yep, I've seen that so many times. LOL
Next time try this... march up to the front desk and complain that because of so many non members parked , the buses were so full you missed a show you'd planed on... raise enough heck, you'll get to the show you missed. My daughter did this and got comped reserved seating at fantasmic a few years ago, another time she was comped tickets to the Circ show. She had legit complaints, believe me. but rather than fix the problem, they comp you so they can go back to smile and have a nice stay.
Years ago their was a HUGE issue with buses at OKW. esp at off times like mid day and early eve. nothing to wait 45 min to almost an hour. It took a couple years of meetings and some heated conversations , AND enough comped tickets for it to make a difference if they changed it. SEE, it really is the squeaky wheel.

They have been aware for at least two years and have done nothing yet. Last year when i spoke to one ofthe ssr managers they told me they were aware of the problem, and would be looking in to it, he admitted the hotel plaza guests were using ssr busses. At that i gave up if they know and do nothing whats the point of complaining.

This trip a couple of weeks ago I did notice there was a bus stop for DTD hotels at DHS. Don't know about at other parks. We asked about it and it is for the hotel plaza locations so people staying there do have another option. Just don't know if many are aware of it or use it. Also don't know which hotels it serves directly.

Because the more people that complain about the same issue they will be forced to look into it

I doubt it. We've been complaining about this for years. We've been complaining about parking at BW for years. About pool crashers and chair hoggers at all the resorts for years, about housekeeping for years. If they didn't fix it in the first couple years of SSR being open, when they were actively selling the resort and members were complaining all the time, I doubt it will get fixed now. Particularly since they don't really have a problem - probably 90% of the guests on those buses are entitled to ride them by holding a multi day ticket.

OH PLEASE! :rotfl: The buses at disney have always been a huge problem. I have been there too many times to count, and all different times of the year,several times a year a few years, when we lived in Fl. and I'm here to tell you, Disney could care less. They add buses with capacity count and that's it.
We learned to drive where we want to go, with the pass on your windshield, parking is free. the trams take you to the front door and are so much more efficient than those buses. The only time we take the bus is if we are at AKL going to AK, or heading to one of the parties, with a group bigger than what any one car can accommodate. But, we have fun things planned. One year at the bus stop, at OKW My Dad read Twas the nite before xmas, and then a couple people had to lead the bus, boat, whatever in xmas song.
It was great, we had the whole bus singing and joining in to lead songs of their own! But I digress.
The only way to not loose your mind , waiting for a bus, at the end of the day is not to put yourself in that position, cause, it's not gonna change. Disney doesn't care, just like they don't really care about the DVC member website. just sayin' I love the resort, love the villas, Disney Management since eisner... stinks. In fact , my husband won't go to the parks anymore at all. He says he sick and tired of being ripped off.

I got a call back from the Disney Vacation Club and they have sent my letter to the managers and SSR leadership team and will be reviewing SSR transportation soon. We'll see if anything happens down the road

DVC isn't forced to do anything.

Nothing at Disney happens quickly, they are aware of the concerns. The solution however is something many would complain about therefore a quick fix might not be available.

This trip a couple of weeks ago I did notice there was a bus stop for DTD hotels at DHS. Don't know about at other parks. We asked about it and it is for the hotel plaza locations so people staying there do have another option. Just don't know if many are aware of it or use it. Also don't know which hotels it serves directly.

I had relatives stay at the Plaza a few years back. They did not seem too thrilled with the bus service frequency. I have read that those hotels share the service, so the busses may stop at each hotel.
It sounded like it would be a little better than the occasional I-drive hotel shuttle, but not as good as staying at a value. I know they said the MK stop was TTC. I didn't want to seem rude asking for more specifics of their (poor) situation so I did not find out much else...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter