Problem - Guests on SSR busses from theme parks to DTD

Bus service is (or should be) augmented to meet the actual demand. Standing room only and full buses happens to a similar degree at all other resorts.

"Resorts" contract with "Disney Transport" for bus service with the cost based on room count and capacity.

(Am I mistaken?)

correct... I agree that busses get full at other resorts at times as well...however, I believe most of the those are guests staying at that resort and it's just disney not sending enough busses at once.

When half or more of the bus is full of non-SSR guests just looking for a way to get to DTD (when disney could easily provide this seperate from the SSR busses), and the busses sent to SSR stops are based on the SSR resort capacity at the time, then I think there is a problem they need to look into

Disney is not going to pick-up the cost of running buses to/from DtD and the parks, they've made that pretty clear when those buses were discontinued years ago. Disney could start charging for DtD parking for non-onsite guests and non-AP holders...but again, the independent merchants that make up most of DtD would not be happy, and would want a substantial decrease in rent payments. Plus it would require employees to man the gates, and check validations upon exit...increasing the traffic flow problem they already have at DtD.

Disney is not going to pick-up the cost of running buses to/from DtD and the parks, they've made that pretty clear when those buses were discontinued years ago. Disney could start charging for DtD parking for non-onsite guests and non-AP holders...but again, the independent merchants that make up most of DtD would not be happy, and would want a substantial decrease in rent payments. Plus it would require employees to man the gates, and check validations upon exit...increasing the traffic flow problem they already have at DtD.

even if they charged for parking that wouldn't elminate the biggest problem... park guests boarding SSR busses to get to DTD because that is the easiest route since there aren't any DTD busses

it may be more feasible to very slightly up the rent at DTD for the vendors to pay for the bus transportation from the parks to DTD..if they would be for it

Yep, as a Disney guest staying at BWV, I'm entitled to take the bus from Magic Kingdom to SSR to walk to DTD if I want. And we have.

I'd rather the bus went straight to DTD, but Disney has decided that encourages people to park at DTD and catch the bus - or for those in the DTD hotels within walking distance to catch the DTD buses.

And people have been complaining about the situation for years.

We just need to convince people to walk/monorail/boat to the nearest resort and take a bus to DTD from that resort. It would spread it out a bit.

We just need to convince people to walk/monorail/boat to the nearest resort and take a bus to DTD from that resort. It would spread it out a bit.

I hate to say it, but it would be easier to do what people are doing...bus to SSR then walk to DTD. That walk is shorter than waiting for a second bus, in most cases.

And it wouldn't address the issue if you are at DTD and need to get to a park. That's the situation we were in last week and yes, we walked to SSR to catch a bus. It wasn't crowded (mid-day) but we did have to wait quite a while for the bus there.

DW & I often ask ourselves why Disney allows this to happen. But as Chuck says, in Disney's mind, there really is no issue. They promise transportation to on-site guests but don't say that it will be on time or less than crowded. If these folks are paying park admission and possibly shopping at DTD, then I don't see Disney cracking down on this. :sad2:

if enough DVC owners at SSR (like myself) complain we're not getting what we pay for / expect at SSR what other members are getting at other DVC resorts they may have to do something...again if enough people make them aware of this problem.

if enough DVC owners at SSR (like myself) complain we're not getting what we pay for . . .

1) You ARE getting what your paid for.
2) The buses are paid from the maintenance fees.
3) If you want more buses, you will pay more fees.
4) You cannot stop people riding to get to DTD.
5) So, one must simply get used it.
6) It has been a problem, and will probably stay the same.
7) Or, get worse.

OP - you said that you have used the buses to get to other resorts to get to your dining reservations. Using the same logic as you, you are using the seats intended for guests of those resorts as well. Same thing. Guests do NOT have to be staying on site to take the busses. They are for anyone with a multi-day park ticket. Personally, I loathe the buses so I rent a car unless I am staying in one of the Epcot resorts where I can walk to 2 parks and take the monorail to 1.

I'm a fan of "the most efficient Disney transportation path" and from the MK I would walk to the CR and then take a DTD bus to DTD. I'm trying to remember the bus we did take that dropped us off at SSR - it might have been the MK one because I didn't understand how long the walk was (it was a LONG walk), but it was more likely the AK bus or perhaps the Studios. From Epcot it would have been BW. Unless I had a little brain snafu.

if enough DVC owners at SSR (like myself) complain we're not getting what we pay for / expect at SSR what other members are getting at other DVC resorts they may have to do something...again if enough people make them aware of this problem.

Members have been complaining about this for a long time, they are aware of it.

I'm not happy that people park at Boardwalk and go to Epcot, making it hard to find a parking space. Complained many times.

Just got back from a split stay at BCV and AKV Kidani. While waiting for a bus to DTD one pulled up from AK and a family of four got off. They asked if this was the spot for DTD bus and got on when it arrived. During the trip my DGD(4) was talking to the children. At one point one of the girls asked if we were going to the Sheraton too. Apparently not only SSR gets the people who park at DTD. As others have said it is being a resort guest or having a multiday ticket that gives you the right to ride any and all buses. I have had more issues with full buses to BWV and BCV than when at SSR and some of those people had parked at BW to go to the parks.
The lot at DTD was full Saturday morning but then so were the stores so I don't know how many of the cars were people who parked there for the parks.
This was the first trip I noticed the bus stops designated for DTD hotels - like the Hilton etc.

We just got back from SSR last night. I did not find the busses to be any more crowded than when we stay at OKW. Also at OKW, people get off the first stop and wait for a Downtown Disney Bus.

On our last night after Illuminations, we got on a bus back to SSR and actually had a seat. This has never happened at any of the other resorts. (I give up my seat to standing mothers and/or kids)

We always stay on property and when we needed to get to DTD from Animal Kingdon, the bus drivers told us to go to PoP since they only have one bus stop and you don't have to go all over the resort.

If Disney wants to restrict the busses to Resort Guests, they could make everyone show their room key.

or better yet... simply add a bus stop from the theme parks to Downtown Disney which would solve the SSR bus problem (and it sounds like some others as well).

The bus that stops at Downtown Disney does not have to be routed back to the park...busses change their routes all the time based on demand/need so it could stop at a resort stop (at DTD) to let people off andf pick up people to take them to a resort....this way people parking at DTD wouldn't think it was so easy to just hop on a bus to the theme park

Being in the IT industry I've thought of this as well... if Disney goes to all RFID chips in tickets/room keys and requires everyone to have them on them at all times....then there could be sensors at the bus stops to detect how many guests are waiting, how long, who is in a wheelchair/scooter (if that's added to their room key/ticket) that may be assistance or even a seperate bus might be best, etc. The only thing they wouldn't know is what park they are wanting to go to. I've thought about having buttons that people could press at the bus stops to indicate where they are going so disney sends busses for that place. Not sure if this would make things more efficient... but it sounds like there might be some ways here to provide better on-demand bus service as well as possibly save some money (no busses making rounds with no one on board or to pickup)

Every DVC resort has it's 'issues'. People park at BW all the time in order to avoid parking fees at Epcot and the easy access to WS via the Intl Gateway. They take up prime parking spots from those of us paying to stay at BW. Add to that the issue that there are many times that the Epcot resorts aren't allowed into Epcot as early as those arriving at the front of the park??? Yeah, it's not so wonderful. We can stand there until 8:55, while those at the front gates are allowed in at 8:45. Go figure.

Just because you are at a deluxe or DVC resort does not entitle you to better bus service. The buses at other DVC resorts are crowded as well....it's not just SSR. And honestly??? In all my trips to DTD, via the buses, I have not seen a ton of people walking to SSR from DTD in order to get a bus to a park. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but that's a longish walk just to save $14 or so.

People park at the CR all the time in order to access MK quickly. Same thing with other resorts that offer foot paths to a park. It's not just a SSR issue...every single DVC resort has it's own issues...and many of them deal with parking and/or buses.

The bus system isn't broken, it works just fine. Disney chooses to not offer bus service between DTD and the parks. They, obviously, don't want to make it all that easy to avoid paying parking fees. They used to run buses between parks and DTD, but found it wasn't profitable. There just weren't all that many people using the buses...so they stopped them.
There is no need to 'fix' the system with RFID chips. Man, talk about over thinking the issue. A bus isn't going to make a run to a resort because two guests have 'swiped' their room key and told the 'system' they are waiting. The buses come every 20 mins, or so, and yes, there are times when it's longer. It's public transportation, it's not a private transport company.
Do I wish the bus system worked more quickly or perhaps more efficiently? Sure, but I'm not willing to pay the addtl cost for it. And believe me...someone has to pay those costs.

The best solution IMO would be for Disney to charge for parking at DTD, unless you have an annual pass or are an onsite guest, in which case you'd have free parking at the theme parks anyway. The parking could be free for 2 to 3 hours with a store validation, 4 hours with a movie theater/cirque validation.

I've wondered why Disney hasn't instituted such a system at the DTD parking long ago. Although I've never experienced the SSR bus problem addressed in this thread, I have had trouble parking at DTD on days where there seemed to be almost no one there walking about or dining. If they weren't parked for using the buses to the parks then I can only assume they were all in the bathrooms at the same time - all the time :confused3

Disney is quick to find and implement ways to hammer our wallets over petty little things. There has to be a good reason behind them not adding the parking fee to DTD. Most likely culprit is that it WILL work and may deter park guests, Disney will then miss out on selling those guests park passes as well as overpriced popcorn and water.

Side note to answer a previously asked Q here: Yes, paying $14 to park in a place that's already taking them for hundreds does make a difference to a number folk and can sway them to go elsewhere for entertainment. I know such folk - the proper term to use when addressing them: they're frugal, not cheap. They hate feeling that they're just gullible tourists and if there's an alternative they'll go for it. It has taken me years to understand that mindset as to me $14 out of a bucket of hundreds is insignificant and I'd rather my car be parked someplace it's supposed to be (and not take the chance of it being ticketed or towed!)

I like the Gaylord system When you pull in you get a ticket. Go eat and the ticket is validated and you don't pay.

With technology today a magnetic strip ticket could be issuedso that everytime you buy something it could be swiped at time of purchase. A running total can be kept and when it is time to leave you hand it to the cashier. If a certain amount is exceeded you get free parking.

It can even be rigged so there is a booth is only for free parking. You know you spent enough you just go there swipe the card and go.

I like the Gaylord system When you pull in you get a ticket. Go eat and the ticket is validated and you don't pay.

With technology today a magnetic strip ticket could be issuedso that everytime you buy something it could be swiped at time of purchase. A running total can be kept and when it is time to leave you hand it to the cashier. If a certain amount is exceeded you get free parking.

It can even be rigged so there is a booth is only for free parking. You know you spent enough you just go there swipe the card and go.

I really like your thinking-that makes perfect sense to me. As long as money spent at Ghiardelli's counts!;) Anyone see a flaw in this idea? Offhand, I don't.

I like the Gaylord system When you pull in you get a ticket. Go eat and the ticket is validated and you don't pay.....

Problem with Gaylord is that there are no in and out privileges. You leave and return and you pay again. One pet peeve (of many) about Gaylord.

how about annual passholders or those with a valid WDW Resort key (in date - one per car) park at DTD for free...others pay the same amount to park at the parks

I still think the bigger issue is guests riding SSR busses from the theme parks to get to DTD to shop. If they charged for parking at DTD as mentioned above, that could help pay for the extra busses direct from parks to DTD

Now, I do think it they are going to do the big pay per park like they do at the theme parks...then they need to provide some type of bigger entertainment (World of Color perhaps where hyperion wharf was going to go?) and some character meet and greets (maybe even a character dining experience somewhere - build a big pirate ship out in the waterway somewhere and have a pirate dinner) I think there are ways they could turn Downtown Disney into the 5th park (so to speak, work with me here) rather than just a fancy strip mall atmosphere

Disney isn't going to discourage people from shopping at DTD. And charging for parking would discourage people. We often go and look, but may or may not buy. Until we look we won't know if there is anything we want to buy.

I also think that any limitation on the parking system has to allow AP holders and Disney resort guests to park for free.

Why not have the first three hours are free and anything after that is the equal to parking at one of parks. That would cover dining or a movie or shopping.

And to eliminate non guests from using Disney transportation go back to requiring proof when a guest boards the bus that you are staying at a resort or have a unrestricted AP--your KTTW would work or an unrestricted AP (not seasonal APs).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter