Problems in Labadee.

Tonka's Skipper

DIS Veteran
Royal Caribbean ship cancels Haiti visit amid protests
Travel%20Trip%20Caribbean%20Cruis

FILE--Passengers on Royal Caribbean International's Mariner of the Seas relax on May 23, 2006, on a beach at Labadie, Haiti. Royal Caribbean’s 3,634-passenger Freedom of the Seas canceled its scheduled visit Tuesday at the Haitian port of Labadee after the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest, according to a company release. JOE KAFKA AP

i
FILE--Passengers on Royal Caribbean International's Mariner of the Seas relax on May 23, 2006, on a beach at Labadie, Haiti. Royal Caribbean’s 3,634-passenger Freedom of the Seas canceled its scheduled visit Tuesday at the Haitian port of Labadee after the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest, according to a company release. JOE KAFKA AP

Royal Caribbean’s 3,634-passenger Freedom of the Seas canceled its scheduled visit Tuesday at the Haitian port of Labadee after the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest, according to a company release.

“Although this protest was peaceful in nature, it was clear that if the protest continued, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee,” the release stated. “We will continue to closely monitor the situation and are in close communication with local and government officials in Haiti. At this time, we have not made any decisions regarding future port calls to Labadee.”

Haitians have protested widely amid concern over the validity of fall 2015 presidential and legislative elections. Runoff elections are slated for Sunday.

The line’s next scheduled port call is Thursday, when the 3,276-passenger Navigator of the Seasis slated to visit the beach resort on Haiti’s northern coast.

Royal Caribbean leased the peninsula in 1986 and spent several million dollars there to develop a day port for cruise passengers with open-air dining areas, refreshments and marketplace selling locally made crafts. The company suspended visits in 1991 amid government instability and resumed in early 1995.

Jane Wooldridge

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article55509290.html#storylink=cpy

Some comments made by posters to the artcale(I could not copy them here) are saying it is not about elections, but the treatment of locals working at Labadee.

AKK

Last edited:
I sure hope this gets resolved! Our spring break cruise on the Independence only has 2 stops...Labadee is one of them!

We're booked on Navigator this Spring. My wife called last night. The R.C. rep didn't seem too concerned. They said we may end up going to Belize
as an alternative port if this doesn't get resolved.

This subject is being discussed at length over on cruise critic. Cruise lines will consider passenger safety first. I always considered it a pleasant surprise to have a port change or an extra sea day. LONG time ago, when the captain announced a sudden change in itinerary, it was followed by at least one round of free drinks for everyone! :mic::sail::tongue:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter