Psych and/or Social Work ?

xCourxCorex

DIS Veteran
Does anybody happen to take Psych and Social Work ? !

I'm thinking about taking them (ok so I won't even graduate HS til 2008 but I like to plan ahead) when I go to college.

Thanks.

I started off as an Art Therapy major so I took a lot of psych, and I hated it. I like reading it on my own, but had a hard time with it in class.

Recently I have taken a lot of sociology courses and I love them, I can't take anymore without having waaaaaay too many credits not in my field for graduation on time.

My suggestion is if yout thinking about it and your school has electives take a psych course or two. Also in college play around, take them as electives and see how you like it! Oh and read as many psych/self help books as you can and see if you still feel the same way after! You don't have to be locked in to a program until junior year at most schools so play around see what you like!

Good luck!

I'm a psych major and I absolutely love it! I'll be graduating in May, and then it's off to pursue a Master's in counseling. Only thing about majoring in Psych. is you really need to be prepared to go beyond just a Bacherlor's degree; you won't make much money at all with just a B.A. or B.S. in Psych. My advice would be to take the Intro. Psych. class at your HS, if they have one. If not, when you're a junior or senior, some schools allow you to enroll in a local college's intro classes for college credit, so you could try it out that way.

~Kelly

Thanks guys!
I can only take a psych class in 12th grade (which kinda stinks!) but I am definately interested in it. My school also has an AP Psych class (again only for seniors) so I guess I'll just have to wait til then

xCourxCorex said:
Does anybody happen to take Psych and Social Work ? !

I'm thinking about taking them (ok so I won't even graduate HS til 2008 but I like to plan ahead) when I go to college.

Thanks.
Glad to see you're planning ahead Courx! :goodvibes

Since you like those areas I was just wondering if you've ever considered a career in nursing? I was a psych major in college for 4 years until I realized job prospects weren't that great. So I switched to nursing and have never looked back. It is a great career with lots of job choices and opportunities and flexible schedules, too. I use my psych skills every day in my job, believe me. And because there is a nursing shortage you might find lots of $$ help in paying for college - ask your school counselors about it.

Good luck in whatever you decide. PM me if you ever want more info on nursing.

I'm actually a nursing major, but I took Psych 101 last semester and this semester I'm talking Social Psychology (its a sociology course, not psych). I'm finding Soc. WAY more interesting than Psych. I did take Intro to Psych in high school which helped A LOT!!! The only difference between the high school class and the college class is that in college it goes way in depth in everything and move along real quick.

But I am having a blast in my Soc. course!! It's more about behavior in groups than the individual and plus my prof is awesome!

Pea-n-Me: Your GS's are absolutely gorgeous! Are they kin?

I'd agree that Sociology is more interesting than Psychology.

Ya, you're not really gonna go anywhere in Psych unless you plan for a Doctorate's or Master's.

It all really depends on what your goal is. Do you want to work in counseling or would you like to be able to write prescriptions? If you'd like to do the latter, then Sociology shouldn't apply to you. But, if you'd like to actually HELP people, then a minor in some sort of Sociology is paramount.

You can be a counselor with a Bachelor's, although your chances of having a good-paying career are slim. With a only a Bachelor's, plan on being a Parole Officer (or the like).

For a great-paying and worthwhile career, plan on going to college/graduate school well into your 30's... and plan on another 10 years (after that) until you have your loans paid off ;)

-Chris

CdeSade said:
For a great-paying and worthwhile career, plan on going to college/graduate school well into your 30's... and plan on another 10 years (after that) until you have your loans paid off ;)

-Chris

Are you kidding me, til you're 30s? You graduate college when you're about 22, how on earth are you going to be in Grad school until your mid 30s?

I'm a psych major now, knowing very well that I have to go on to grad school afterwards. That doesn't bother me at all. Being in college until my mid 30s, however, does.

I don't need a GREAT paying career, just a decent enough, average one.

I'm not a teen but saw this topic as I was heading to another board and wanted to check it out. I'm an administrative assistant at a college counseling center and I can tell you, it can take 7 years to finally get through the schooling, the internship, and the dissertation if you drag your feet. A B.S. or B.A. will not get you far in the counseling field as far as pay, you MIGHT be able to get a school counseling job but more and more they are looking at people with a Master's. A Master's could take you 2-4 years, depending on the program and what exactly you want to do - M.S.Ed. can get you a counseling position or a school counseling position - again not making much money. But a school counseling positions sometimes wants you to be Title'd as well - depending on the state and school district.

If you go for a doctorate, that could take you another 2-6 years, depending on how motivated you are. You have to complete your dissertation and an internship if you want to become a psychologist and the internship, if you make your match, is a year. That is if you pass your practicum and some students take an advanced practicum if they can't get into an internship or feel they need more experience. Generally the practicum is needed to get your Masters as well.

We had a position open a few years ago and had a few applicants who had passed and finished their internships and several years later were STILL working on their dissertations - so they were paying for a year of school for several years and had not completed their doctorate because they were dragging with their dissertation completion. We encourage our doctorate interns to really work on their dissertations while they are here so they are finished and defended before they leave - or pretty close to it.

I have a Masters degree in Social Work. As an undergrad, I majored in English/Liberal Arts. Graduate school took two years and I was licensed within 6 months of graduation. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. It's been a while since I graduated, but I'll try to help any way I can.

I'm taking this semester Psych and Sociology. Both are internet courses and I like them. But I have to say that I pretty much enjoy more of the sociology subjects than psych. Though at times psych seems good, but sociology wins.
This is my second time taking sociology, I took that class in high school, think it was 11th grade.

I agree with the previous person who said that you have to go beyond your bachelor's in psychology. My undergraduate degree is in psychology. When I was a junior I took social work classes and realized that I liked social work more (but did not want to go school longer if I changed majors. I got my master's in social work and liked the classes a lot more. Good luck to you! :)

Hi there,

I am curently a psych double major and I love it. If you have any questions, PM Ill be happy to discuss any concerns you may have.

My area of specialization is developmental psych, but psych is so broad there is something for everyone.

Crystal ::MinnieMo

Evil Princess said:
Are you kidding me, til you're 30s? You graduate college when you're about 22, how on earth are you going to be in Grad school until your mid 30s?

I'm a psych major now, knowing very well that I have to go on to grad school afterwards. That doesn't bother me at all. Being in college until my mid 30s, however, does.

I don't need a GREAT paying career, just a decent enough, average one.

It all depends on where you want to go, and what you want to do.

You'll be working full-time after college, and going to school part-time for your masters and your doctorate. 99% of people can't afford graduate school w/o student loans and/or grants. Therefore, your graduate schooling takes twice as long. Not to mention that after 4 years of college your mind is pretty burnt out. I wouldn't expect anyone to become a "great people helper" if they never took the time to smell the roses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter