PTParaD TRs and Shenanigans

Just got back from a 5 day, 4 night anniversary trip with DW. We met my in-laws in Topeka to drop off the kids and then DW and I drove on to Manhattan, KS to stay at Tuttle Creek State Park.

We did a whole lot of nothing. We slept in, ate out once a day, caught up on Netflix, and tried to beat the heat. Today, we met the in-laws in Topeka for prisoner exchange again and got back about an hour ago. Everything is put away and I'm waiting for the temp to drop a bit before heading out into the yard to beat back all the grass.

I'm looking through my phone for pictures of the days and I realize we did SO little, I didn't even take a picture the whole time.

It was a nice relaxing trip.

we met the in-laws in Topeka for prisoner exchange again and got back about an hour ago.

:rotfl2:

We've got an anniversary trip planned next month to a state park here in Alabama, PTP. Only DW talked me into a CABIN and promised to let me win a few times at Scrabble. I promised to cook for her and it's a good place for us to do some short hikes (which amount to a whole lot of nuthin' just like your trip).

But hey, I thought your kids are sweet. But just wait till they're 16, 17, 18 ......

ED

:rotfl2:

We've got an anniversary trip planned next month to a state park here in Alabama, PTP. Only DW talked me into a CABIN and promised to let me win a few times at Scrabble. I promised to cook for her and it's a good place for us to do some short hikes (which amount to a whole lot of nuthin' just like your trip).

But hey, I thought your kids are sweet. But just wait till they're 16, 17, 18 ......

ED

I don't know that it was better than our Yellowstone trip, but it was a perfect week of NOTHING.

The kiddos are great. I'm proud of how they behave publicly and MOSTLY when we're inside the compound walls. They've done some cool things this summer and are growing up quick.

I already bragged on DD's swimming. DS and I went to Webelos Weekend a few weeks ago. He conquered his fear of heights and rappelled off the tower there. He's going to be a heck of a scout next year and the years after.

PXL_20220729_154339578.jpg
He took the first hard step and gravity did the rest

PXL_20220729_154425173.jpg
Catching his breath after coming down. He was proud of himself but needed a minute alone to gather himself up.

Ed,

Also, I hear you're a big Scouter through the Midwest grapevine. Have you ever heard of Mic-o-Say? It's an honored camper organization, very similar to OA, but it only exists at two camps in two different councils (Pony Express Council - Camp Geiger; Heart of America Council - Camp Bartle). It's an interesting story about a guy named Bartle that was the executive in Wyoming and came to appreciate Native American traditions then brought that to Pony Express as the exec there and then later as the exec for Heart of America. He later became the mayor of Kansas City, MO. His nickname was "The Chief" and someone decided to name a local, mildly well-known sportsball team in his honor. It's crazy that it co-exists with OA, but I'll get used to it, I guess.

We were at Geiger (out of council for Webelos Weekend) for the second year and DS is over the moon ready to go. The troop we'll cross over to camps at Bartle, so he'll have a chance to get into the tribe there. The tribe at Geiger put on an exhibition for camp and they gave him a necklace. He's worn it every day since we got back from camp.
PXL_20220731_012937604.jpg
Bub is second in line behind the Chieftain.

Looks like a great summer. I have heard of Mic-O-Say, but didn't know the story.

Thanks for that.

As a former OA chapter chief and Allowat Sakima, I appreciate the native American cultural values the program instilled.

j

The story of Mic-O-Say has not reached the great Southeast, PTP.

But I am a big Scouter. I am an Eagle and worked at my Council Summer Camp for years. And was involved in Cubs all the way up from Den Leader to Cub Master. And matriculated up into BSA after that.

My DS's also Eagle'd and work on summer camp staffs for a couple years.

I was not an Allowat Sakima (Jim) but was a Kitchkinet for 4 years at summer camp tap outs (or whatever they call them now) plus Ordeals, Brotherhoods, Conclaves, etc.

Short story is that DS can have a great experience in Scouting. And as I saw in my recent experience in Scouting this summer, your DD can have a great experience in Scouting also. I know she's involved in other activities and while she may choose not to be involved enough for advancement, it can still be very formative.

I wish BSA had involved girls more when my DD was younger. She probably would have eclipsed her older brothers. But that train left the station a while ago.

Ed

Looks like a great summer. I have heard of Mic-O-Say, but didn't know the story.

Thanks for that.

As a former OA chapter chief and Allowat Sakima, I appreciate the native American cultural values the program instilled.

j

The story of Mic-O-Say has not reached the great Southeast, PTP.

But I am a big Scouter. I am an Eagle and worked at my Council Summer Camp for years. And was involved in Cubs all the way up from Den Leader to Cub Master. And matriculated up into BSA after that.

My DS's also Eagle'd and work on summer camp staffs for a couple years.

I was not an Allowat Sakima (Jim) but was a Kitchkinet for 4 years at summer camp tap outs (or whatever they call them now) plus Ordeals, Brotherhoods, Conclaves, etc.

Short story is that DS can have a great experience in Scouting. And as I saw in my recent experience in Scouting this summer, your DD can have a great experience in Scouting also. I know she's involved in other activities and while she may choose not to be involved enough for advancement, it can still be very formative.

I wish BSA had involved girls more when my DD was younger. She probably would have eclipsed her older brothers. But that train left the station a while ago.

Ed

I spent too much time in the bush as an Elangomat on OA reunion weekends. I did Meteu once or twice for a Brotherhood ceremony before aging out.

It's quite nice to see Scouts still kicking in this area. It's not everything I remember from my summers at Camp Lewallen in Piedmont, MO, but there are a lot of good foundations still from the old days...not to mention the "World's Ugliest Man" skit.

And as I saw in my recent experience in Scouting this summer, your DD can have a great experience in Scouting also. I know she's involved in other activities and while she may choose not to be involved enough for advancement, it can still be very formative.

Ed
Ed,

Donna was a Boy Scout! By the time we started dating, I was in Explorers (Adventure Scouts today). They were the only part that was coed when I was in. We both stayed in until 21 and then became adult leaders for another 5 years or so.

I do remember several times on the trail at Philmont when the coed contingents would come through. We just stared, longingly. I'm sure it was pretty creepy, but we were teens. :)

j

Didn't get before pictures, but this was my day today:
PXL_20220824_001706154.jpg
The stoop had settled almost 3 inches as compared with the driveway on the far left. The previous homeowners had it mud jacked and the crew that did it, did not do a good job at all.

As I was digging to get the jacks far enough under the slab I found that it's almost totally hollow behind their repairs. So phase 1 here, I've packed the bejeebies out of that corner. There are 6x60 lb bags of quickcrete in that little corner. Either there is a mole stealing all of it or it flowed back into the cavity as I wanted. Thursday I'll fill the hole on the right assuming that the left corner can hold up the slab without the jacks.

Last edited:
So remember that renovation I start eons ago? Well we're back on finishing up the bathroom finally. We pulled out the toilet, vanity, and tile out earlier this week. We embraced our redneck and had the toilet on the front porch for a few days. It was too cold and kid activities in the evening kept getting in the way to haul everything out to the shed. I'm sure Amazon and FedEx loved it.

Today I used the grinder to knock off the grout and thinset that was still on the backer board. We're hoping to cheat a bit and leave the backer board so we don't have to do everything to get tile on the floor.

Current status:
PXL_20221203_224942140.jpg

It was a dirty job

PXL_20221203_205125835_exported_1124_1670107314666.jpg

PXL_20221203_205129317.jpg

DW is going to sand and prep walls for paint tomorrow and hopefully we're tiling in a few days.

PTP,

One of my sons has given me grief because there is a project needed in the room he stays in when he visits us and asked me a while back why I had not addressed the project yet (no one is coming to visit any time soon). I explained that while the weather is nice in the fall and early winter, I'm doing OUTSIDE projects. When the weather gets cold as it is about to now and for the next few months, that is the time to work on INSIDE projects.

I attribute your return to your indoor renovation to be along the same reasoning as mine as I bet you generally are in your winter weather pattern now (or nearly so). And you have limited "free" time to put toward these kinds of projects.

So I completely understand. And I need a kick in the pants to get started on my indoor winter projects.

You're not alone in how you think.

Bama Ed

PS - but dude, that haircut :scared: since it's winter now, let it grow out to a #1 guard on the ol' hair clippers.

Last edited:
PTP,

One of my sons has given me grief because there is a project needed in the room he stays in when he visits us and asked me a while back why I had not addressed the project yet (no one is coming to visit any time soon). I explained that while the weather is nice in the fall and early winter, I'm doing OUTSIDE projects. When the weather gets cold as it is about to now and for the next few months, that is the time to work on INSIDE projects.

I attribute your return to your indoor renovation to be along the same reasoning as mine as I bet you generally are in your winter weather pattern now (or nearly so). And you have limited "free" time to put toward these kinds of projects.

So I completely understand. And I need a kick in the pants to get started on my indoor winter projects.

You're not alone in how you think.

Bama Ed

PS - but dude, that haircut :scared: since it's winter now, let it grow out to a #1 guard on the ol' hair clippers.
You're pretty accurate. It's cold and I have a knee surgery impending, so I'm cramming in a bunch of projects that I've been putting off.

As for the hair, I got a freshie just this morning. However, I hate mop of hair on my head temperature irrelevant.

Winter is when I do most of out indoor projects. (Or when the DW convinces me its time!)

Up until recent drops in temp I been taking every 60F day we have gotten over the past month and spent it outside.

A busy fall has had delayed me in completing my refinishing project, yet thankfull the garage is insulated enough that I can keep working on it even with the temp drop.

So I did a thing yesterday...

Some of the Midwest Meet up attendees know what I do for work, but I didn't need everyone across the greater DIS knowing since our camping forum isn't private. It's not a state secret, but I preferred to err on the cautious side. Now that's not so important.

I was retired from the active duty Army after 25 years in uniform. There's some I'll miss, but a lot I won't. I have to serve a little more on paper, but I have like 4 more days in uniform to tidy up some administration in a few weeks.
52567633485_ddc9dc75cb_o.jpg

FB_IMG_1671223198333~2.jpg

I'm doing an internship through the Army with a private sector engineering consultant. It's looking like a good fit for me.

It's all going to help me spend more time with the family in the RV somewhere and that's all I need.

Congrats on making it to 25 years of service to our country, Jack. We appreciate you doing so.

I hope your new work schedule in a future civilian job leaves lots of time for camping with your lovely family.

Ed

Congrats, sir.

giphy.gif

Looking forward to hearing about your next phase in life. Hopefully it includes more camping and Disney time.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter