PTR - East Coast and US and WDW Nov-Dec 14

I'm starting to get nervous about booking things in, and add in the ratestogo discount and I just can't help myself from hitting the 'confirm booking' button.

So, the more important and expensive things will have to wait (no deals / too expensive), such as Boston and Philly accommodation, and flights from Washington to Orlando and Orlando to LA, but I have at least booked...

Newport accommodation
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...ham_Newport_Onshore-Newport_Rhode_Island.html

Washington accommodation
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel...Hotel-Washington_DC_District_of_Columbia.html

Saved maybe a few hundred from the original plan by securing those two. Progress! :goodvibes

Awesome! Love it when there's a good deal :goodvibes And :lmao: about you getting a 2 bed 2 bath apartment just for yourself!

So I got an email from qantas in the early hours of this morning. They've shortened my holiday by about an hour (scrooges!) with my MEL-LAX flights leaving about half an hour later, returning half an hour earlier.

This means my 'not the best, but manageable' 2:55 layover in LAX to a 'definitely stress worthy' 2:25 layover.

I had a quick look on Kayak to see what other flights are available maybe a little later. If I had to scrap my already booked Delta flight, what are my options and what would the damage be? Looking through the list of flights, there was one with Delta that left 20 minutes earlier than mine. Look closer - that is my flight!! Thanks for the update Delta......

So, the layover is now down to 2:05....*sigh*....oh boy.

A 2 hour layover at LAX? :scared1: The damage will depend on what fare class you've booked. I would call Delta and explain the situation, ask if they can do anything to help you out.

So, the layover is now down to 2:05....*sigh*....oh boy.

That's too close for my comfort having to switch terminals and air lines. I guess you could check in for your Delta flight online before you leave Melbourne but the issue will be luggage, especially if you're on an A380. That's a lot of luggage, we waited 50 mins for our luggage last time we flew with Qantas via LAX and that was once we got through immigration. I'd be asking for the bags to be tagged as business/priority and try and get an express pass for immigration if you don't change it. If you want to change it you're looking at a $200 change fee plus any difference in fare I believe. If you get someone nice at Delta they might help you out but I think the only other direct flight is around 3pm with them. I have a feeling their normal policy is the change needs to be more than 20 minutes before they'll consider switching you to another flight if the schedule change doesn't work but it might be 15??

Very good point about the luggage, ssour.

I had a look at my booking on the Delta website ('There has been a change to your flight'...no kidding...) and it says I'm allowed to change the flight to a different flight if the change is more than an hour. :headache:

I'll have to look again when I have a bit more time on the rules on changing. If it's really $200 then it's not worth it, I only paid $180 for the flight. And the only other non stop flight I could find with Delta leaves at 9:30pm. I'd rather book with someone else.

Maybe if they were really nice I could credit to a different flight. I haven't booked my Washington to Orlando flights yet, or the MCO to LAX flights.

Then again, there's always the possibility the flight times could change again and it could work...? I don't know... :confused3

Hmm that's a really tricky dilemma :confused3 What a PITA that both your flight times changed for the worse! You've still got time, so I guess you can give it a couple of months and see if there are any more changes for the better.

Tell me about it, Zanzibar. :sad2:

Of all the possible combinations of changes, they just had to both change for the worse.

There's a flight with Jet Blue at 12:25 for just $179. I should have just booked that one in...! I was just hoping to avoid getting into Boston too late (with JetBlue, it would be 9pm).

Hey...I've never been to Disneyland. Maybe I should take the day to visit and fly to Boston overnight! hahahaha

Hey...I've never been to Disneyland. Maybe I should take the day to visit and fly to Boston overnight! hahahaha

:thumbsup2

Coulda shoulda woulda... Hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel any better, we lost $400 in currency conversion and transaction fees for fully refundable airfares... Sure wish we'd never booked them! At least (after a lot of complaining) the bank refunded our currency conversion fees on the original payment and refund. Was pretty small change though.

:thumbsup2

Coulda shoulda woulda... Hindsight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

If it makes you feel any better, we lost $400 in currency conversion and transaction fees for fully refundable airfares... Sure wish we'd never booked them! At least (after a lot of complaining) the bank refunded our currency conversion fees on the original payment and refund. Was pretty small change though.

Ouch! :eek:

I lost a little booking in RPR months ago and then cancelling a week or so ago just on currency conversion, but it was nowhere near $400.

You know, the airlines really do have their business all wrapped up. Not many others could get away with taking your money and not delivering some kind of service. Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYrVdeSl4-U

Ouch! :eek:

I lost a little booking in RPR months ago and then cancelling a week or so ago just on currency conversion, but it was nowhere near $400.

You know, the airlines really do have their business all wrapped up. Not many others could get away with taking your money and not delivering some kind of service. Reminds me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYrVdeSl4-U

To be fair, it wasn't the airline's fault. It was a several thousand $$ transaction, and because we paid when the USD was high and were refunded when it was lower, it worked out to quite a lot over the whole transaction. At least they didn't lose anything though like we did :sad2:

But generally I agree about airlines. DH was telling me once that they are only legally obligated to get you from your departure point to your destination in some way eventually. I'd like to think that they're obligated to get you there in at least the class that you bought. I can't think of any other industry that isn't legally obliged to provide you with the service that you book :rolleyes:

But generally I agree about airlines. DH was telling me once that they are only legally obligated to get you from your departure point to your destination in some way eventually.

Pffft, I hear the same spiel from vline. If that's the level of service they're aiming for - trains will at least let you refund tickets if you know you are never going to be able to use them. Madness! :rolleyes:

Another thought that would probably cost more overall but would equal more holiday time - can you leave Melbourne a day earlier? Then you could head to DL for a day and stick with your Delta flight. Not sure if your Qantas flights were super cheap, if so the fare difference might make it a no go but I'm pretty sure their change fee is less than Delta's.

That's a really good idea ssour, but I did buy a sale fare and looks like it would cost about the same (still $200 but in AUD). I think I'm just going to take my chances. I'll probably end up white knuckling it all the way to LAX if I go that way lol so I may still change my mind.

I know I should be asleep right now, but...my Boston accommodation has just been confirmed! :)

http://www.bnbboston.com/locations/boston/south-end/braddock-suite.html

So much cheaper than any decent hotel, it looks really comfortable, and it has great reviews. The confirmation email came with the full address, so of course I went straight to Street View on Google Maps and wow, it's a gorgeous street! So my feelings on Boston went from headache to excitement then and there lol ok, back to sleep now :)

I know this is probably a bit naughty, but I haven't got around to buying travel insurance yet.

I was looking at Covermore, as they're the only ones who will cover my existing medical condition without a lot of hassle, and then I thought maybe getting an annual policy might be a good idea. The plan was always to go do the west coast next year, and see Disneyland. I'd love to go in time for Halloween, so that would mean an annual policy would cover both.

Only possible problem is, with the annual policy you have to nominate the maximum length of each trip - 30, 45 or 60 days. If you count when I leave Australia to when I arrive back in Australia, my trip is 32 days. If you count my departure date as the day I leave America, then it fits in the 30 days. I've posed the question to Covermore. If it's the latter, I'll get an annual policy, if not, the jump in price for a policy of 45 days isn't worth it.

Some of the travel insurances include a 2 day allowance. It'll be in the fine-print....somewhere.

Hope you get some good news.

Ahh thanks for the tip. Fine print, eh? Never thought to look there :P

I had to make a claim on an annual policy earlier this year and they requested my flight itinerary as evidence of the length of my trip, so that's a good call checking with Cover-More. I have a feeling it will be the day you arrive home since you could make luggage claims at that point I think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter