Pulling kids out of school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EFASTPITCH.....wow you seem....well...angered in your response.
if the teacher/principal/admin are willing to work with you why wouldn't a parent say "let's go". i don't see this as a "selfish" decision.

Originally posted by Amirah95

Regardless of what you or others say, it is soley up to the parents to make the final decision :)

But you must agree that all decision's have consequence's.

Originally posted by roque
EFASTPITCH.....wow you seem....well...angered in your response.
if the teacher/principal/admin are willing to work with you why wouldn't a parent say "let's go". i don't see this as a "selfish" decision.

You should read all the thread before you write a response. EFastpitch's opinion was changed later in this discussion.:confused:

I have been holding off my comments on this subject for some time. We changed our plans and pulled our kids out of school on the recommendation of the people on this boad. That was a big mistake!!

When we returned from our vacation, the school had turned our children in as truant, because they had missed more than five consecutive days without permission from the school. We had told the teachers that we were going to WDW, but that didn't seem to matter.

We are now required to meet with a case worker from family services once a week for the next 6 months. We are also required to attend special classes on parenting.

As to the people who are complaining about my spelling and grammer, sorry!! I only finished High School, and that was just barely before the birth of my first child. I work hard, but I put my children's education first. Maybe with a better education, this won't happen to them.

It must be nice to be better than everyone else! Your mother's are probably very proud of you.
:mad:

Originally posted by JPN4265
But you must agree that all decision's have consequence's.

Perhaps someone was pulled out of class for vacation the day they went over plurals and possessives. There could be some lingering anger about the "consequence's" (sp).

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
Perhaps someone was pulled out of class for vacation the day they went over plurals and possessives. There could be some lingering anger about the "consequence's" (sp).

It must be wonderful to be so perfect.;)

Originally posted by Efastpitch

When we returned from our vacation, the school had turned our children in as truant, because they had missed more than five consecutive days without permission from the school. We had told the teachers that we were going to WDW, but that didn't seem to matter.

We are now required to meet with a case worker from family services once a week for the next 6 months. We are also required to attend special classes on parenting.

:mad:

If I was you, I would be fighting tooth and nail. Somewhere along the way, a parents power and rights were taken away. Our public schools just lowered the days that can be missed. My brother's school doesn't even consider attending the funeral of a grandparent as an excused absense. It is all about money. I think it has gone way beyond ridiculous. Luckily, my daughter attends a DOD (Dept. of Defense) school. They realize how valuable family time is. With my husband's career, you take time together when you can. If she had to be in a public school, I would constantly be trying to change the "rules". Where did commen sense go?

Originally posted by JPN4265
It must be wonderful to be so perfect.;)

Ahh, then you get the point.....I was thinking most readers were feeling the same way about the tone of some previous posts....And, yes, it is.:wave2:

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
Ahh, then you get the point.....I was thinking most readers were feeling the same way about the tone of some previous posts....And, yes, it is.:wave2:

What a wonderful world, only two perfect people.;)

Efastpitch, Please email when you can; I don't know if you'll get a pm so I'd like to email you personally (brumley5@astound.net)

I agree with Memymomonica, it really just boils down to $$$$$$.

Please let me know what state you live in!

Thanks,
Tammy in CA

I would also be fighting, child protective services b/c kids mised school ?!?:( That really really angers me, the school can do it for teacher education day, for obscure holidays, if not enough snow days were missed, etc. Scream fight do whatever it takes, and welcome the people from child protective services. Who cares, If in your state the child protective has nothing to do but annoy vacationers, I'd like to know what they do about Pedophiles and Child Abusers. What state and county do you live in, I feel like writting them a letter myself. How could you not be so totally furious at them and their attitude about a VACATION, HELLO.:earseek: Anyone who has kids knows, that any work could be made up, teachers and schools ARE NOT GODS, even though they try to act like it at times. I feel so bad for you getting all this grief from school.

I am fighting with my own school district. They will not provide support over the summer to my child who has a "F" in math as he is not certified for a special ed program for 12 months, only support for 10 months. The exact words of the Chair of Special Education, " We have spoken to your son's teacher's and they state he does not fall behind when he has a week vacation". Fine, so when we are in Disneyworkd 5/20-5/26, and he will be missing a week of school, THEY HAD BETTER NOT SAY A WORD. When I tried to review with her that a week does not equal a 2 1/2 month summer break, I was still not getting anywhere. Fine.

Originally posted by NADINENURSE

I am fighting with my own school district. They will not provide support over the summer to my child who has a "F" in math

I thought you posted earlier that he was failing math because he "refused" to do homework or memorize his multiplication facts. :confused:

Yes, he is the one who will not do his homework without a war, actually, still is a war. School has agreed that this is part of his "disability", what ever it is. He would rather deal with the grief of failing tests, hence the "F", rather than study. Hard to believe as I am screaming alot to get it done. So my point, even though the school recognizes that he needs support, really can't figure out how to give it to him, I too am at a loss, fails tests, frustrates everyone dealing with this homework and this studying issue, , but feel he does not fall behind if out for a week. AND the unique point was in the seperate report from the Specail Ed teacher he did not recieve any Needs Improvments, but all Passing, I found it hard to swallow that along with the "F" from the other teacher in the same topic. Essentially, since he was totally cooperative with the Special Ed teacher, he is very freindly likeable and social, she felt he met all his goals, but still failed all the testes with the regular classroommath, we all believe r/t lack of studying and repition. So, I have given up fighting with him.

My point to the other poster is about getting all the grief from the school district. Schools have a certain pool of $ to deal with, so you need to fight if your kid is on the edge to get their share. My kid is on the edge, not bad enough for a 12 month program, not failing everything, but that "F" in Math, but we can't figure out how to motivate him. So, I will probably spend big bucks sending him to Sylvan Learning Center over the summer , as the school will probably not give in. BUT, THEY WILL NOT ARGUE WITH ME ABOUT THIS VACATION. Their own words, " a week does not put him behind". So it if off to Orlando we go:wave2:

Hey Nadinenurse,

My son was "bad" in math as well. Teachers kept telling me that he wasn't applying himself. I know we'll find out someday (he just turned 20) that he has a learning disability. I finally talked to someone when he was a Senior about getting him tested for a disability but was actually talked out of it with the reasoning that he would be 'labeled' by his friends. They'll take your money but they limit what they'll help you with. I feel like he was nearing the end of the road with them and they just didn't want to spend the money on him.

When you mentioned going to Sylvan I had to strongly let you know, "Don't go to Sylvan!" My 2 cents is LINDAMOOD BELL. (And that's all I have left after sending my daughter there!....)
My daughter, who was 10 at the time, was not able to read, I knew there was a learning disability but had a hard time finding the right program. She needed to be taught different and Sylvan, Kumon, etc., just don't cut it. She wasn't even at Kindergarten level, She went 4 hours a day, throughout the summer and came out reading NOVELS! I had to even start saying, "Put that book down!" (with a smile) because that is all she wanted to do.

LindamoodBell all the way!

Tammy in CA

I am sorry if I am repeating this, but I just wanted to add something here

The public school educational system is a bureaucracy.

There is an accountability that is placed on school districts, and as a result your child's attendance matters.
Schools get extra money if they can achieve a high attendance rate. When a child misses school the percentage rate goes down and so does their money.

Schools like to see attendance rates to be above 92 %

Is this fair? No because it puts pressure on the administration to put sanctions on parents and students if they do not abide by the rules of the school district.

It is a shame that students are not able to go on correspondence when they are away from schools. I know that I attended a private school growing up, and we were allowed to do this.

If a student is capable of learning without having the need to be involved in lessons - including those that are " hands-on" to help them learn concepts, or if they have parents who have the capability to teach them the important facts and concepts - then I say by all means take them out of school.

However, the majority of parents find it too difficult or too time consuming to do this. Make-up work can not compensate for classroom discussion lessons and activities, which is the real way most students (especially those with learning disabilities) learn and make connections to the schoolwork being introduced

I think it is important that we see education as a building block for the future. When students miss class, they may miss lessons that help them learn important facts that they will not be able to build on if they try to learn on their own.

VERY ELOQUENT AND ACCURATE POST!

what saddens me is other posts where parents will hold the schools accountable for their lack of parenting. Rather than Sylvan Learning centers, there should be some parenting classes attended.

I'm taking my two sons out of school for 8 days next year so we can get to WDW for Easter - the flights go up SOOOOOO much after 16/4 it would add about £1500 to the cost of the holiday AND be much more crowded, of course. We return on Easter Sunday, so they have a week to get over their jet lag before going back to school. They will be 5 and 11, and their headmistress has signed the permission slip no problem - she agrees foreign travel broadens the mind (so we'll go to the space centre as well for an educational day!).

My sister is going at the same time and taking her 4 out (11, 9, 7 and 5) - as they are all at the same school there'll be a few missing!

Thing is, its once in a while for us - we want to go as a family before eldest son goes to senior school (when its harder to catch up on missed work). I do know some parents with second homes abroad who are always taking their kids out and THAT I don't agree with.

One week or even two is not going to wreck your kids lives (unless you take them away during exams).

I HOPE YOUR NOT MAKING ASSUMPTIONS YOU CAN'T BACK UP !!!!!! Funny, how a disussion about a vacation can bring out so many negative comments. WDWDVCDAD, maybe you need to go the magic because your posts are downright NASTY to other members here on the boards. If I were a moderator, I would definatley tell YOU to tone down, or don't post. Try a little kindness for the family going thru the hell of a CPS worker on their back. I know many of them here in Upstate NY and unfortunatley, not all are good, for alot it is power. So please remember, this is a DISNEY board and lighten up !!!:bounce:

Hi gang!

This topic has obviously run its course. I'm closing it for this reason.

Keep in mind that the DIS has posting guidelines; one such guideline states that no personal attacks are allowed. While it's okay to respectfully disagree with another poster, it's not okay to insult another poster because he/she has a differing opinion. You can view all DIS Posting guidelines by clicking here: http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm

If you have any questions about this, please don't hesitate to contact me, another Tips Board moderator or a DIS Webmaster. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter