Pulling kids out of school?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boys just came home today and told me that their fifth grade teacher left early today...she was headed for Disney World! :teeth: She told them it was her birthday present!

Edited to add: The other fifth grade teacher (my DS's homeroom teacher) told me that he is taking his family (for the third time) in July. Maybe that's why they were so understanding of our trip...they're already Disney-a-Holics themselves, LOL :teeth:

I have taken my DD's out of school for at least 5 school days for the last 7 years and it is definitely getting tougher. My oldest DD a sophomore has 3 honors classes and last year played 2 sports (she's only doing B-ball this year but it's pretty much year round). My youngest DD (7th grade) doesn't want to miss school this year so she's not going with us. Next year we are going to go during break regardless of the cost. I guess my point is I think it is easier when they are younger, less taxing on everyone (children, parents and teachers). But everyone's situation is unique.

Alice

I teach 5th grade.

I had a parent pull her child out for al most two weeks because she went away to visit family.

I do not teach from a text book. I am a hands-on teacher, and if you miss the lessons you are missing out on your learning.

This would not have been a bad thing for this student to miss if they were a strong reader and able to pick up the missing work from a text book.

I just had to deal with the fact that she was falling even further behind.

for the first time in 25 years (have older kids) I am taking the twins out of school on Friday, and one is not happy, does not want to miss anytime in school (wants to have perfect attendence) and got the teacher to agree to give the spelling test on Thursday where he doesn't miss that.:wave2:

Well what a hot topic this seemed to be.

Personally i am not happy with the decision to take my two out of school but i a min the predicament of having step children live with me and two biological children living in another country (Ireland) so as their breaks did not match up i had no choice. Add to that my parents are coming over from England (they are bringing over my children from Ireland) it was rather an organisational nightmare.

One thing is the teachers here are wonderful and are assisting with whatever work they can provide for my girls. The biggest problem was my Irish daughter having her Communion year this year but as most preparations are done the school and priest were agreeable.

So yes it is a very hard decision but one that only the parents can make and no-one has the right to judge those of us that make the decision to do so.

Even though that never stopped anyone :p

I have to admit, I have taken my DDs (now 15, 13, 9 and 8) out of school a couple of times in the past for WDW vacations. Two of my daughters have been taken out of school for Pop Warner National Cheer Competitions, along with hundreds of other cheerleaders/football players from all over the country in December!

I will NEVER go to Disney in the summer or peak season. It's just NOT worth the money you spend to stand in line all day. The teachers have been pretty good about giving them some work to take along and letting them make up more when they return. I do give them about one months notice.

So, take them out and have a good time!!
:wave2:

I know this will not be popular, but I'm pulling my DD out of school for 10 days in October. I have already spoken to her Principal and Asst. Principal about it and they both have been very supportive. She is a merit roll student, and while I am concerned about what she may miss in 10 days, I feel the memories she'll have (Driving from PA, camping at FW, NASA, etc)will probably stay with her much longer than what she remembers from 10 days of 5th grade. Honestly, if she were any further that Elementary school, I would probably not take her out for so long.

IMHO, do what works for you.

We will be pulling our children out of school for 2 weeks this May and it doesn't bother us one bit. We feel liket his our boys do great in school and their teachers are very supportive of their going to Walt Disney. They do realize that we do school work while we are their like reading and math . On our day around the pool they may spend an hour on reading or doing Math.We make sure they keep up on that. But all in all whats missing 2 weeks of school compared to 2 weeks of not having a family vacation. Memories last a lifetime,school is important don't get me wrong but will they really remember these 2 weeks of missing 3rd and 6th grade!?? Come on,no they won't. We feel very comfortable taking them out. Our twins are 3 and they are only little for a short time. We took the other boys at their ages. Look at it like this "Magical Memories are Made everyday you are their TOGETHER!!!!" Smiles,laughter and togetherness are much nicer .

:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Originally posted by Efastpitch
I can't believe all the excuses for justifying taking your kids out of school. You can come up with all types of excuses, but it still comes down to what you want and not what is best for your child.

I still believe that if you take your child out of school just so you can go on vacation, you should not expect to have make up work or test's provide for you by the teacher.

As to you could get sick, and miss a weeks worth of school. What happens if you take a week off to go to WDW, and you get sick when you get home. Now you have missed two weeks.

Your child's education is very important. Put WDW off until the summer.

Obviously you missed school a lot, because your spelling is lousy and you don't know the difference between a possesive and a plural.

I've posted about this before, but I just can't believe this is an argument. Unless the school decides to drag you to court for truancy, more power to you. If you think the kid will do well without those two weeks of education, more power to you. If you expect us educators to bend over backwards so that you can have 2 weeks at WDW, more power to you.

I just want to warn you all, though, that the trend in this country is towards standardized testing (a whole other debate). As more states institute the wonderful testing that we endure in Texas (the whole state has been testing the last three days), you will see these 2 week breaks in education blamed for low test scores. States that already have this testing are starting to develop plans to tie teacher pay to student performance. Good luck finding a teacher that will help you with your vacation plans then. You'll be in court before you know it trying to justify the truancy of your first grader.

Down with standardized testing! Call your congressman! Let him know the economic impact it will certainly have on this country if so many famillies are not able to make it to WDW in the off season.

Any teacher that has lived through three consecutive days of standardized testing knows where I'm coming from. And after this week I can't wait 'til July.

Originally posted by CharlesandCamilla
Down with standardized testing!
We have them in Pennsylvania also. Just wonderful, aren't they? (not) :headache:

I am a public high school English teacher. If your kids aren't failing courses, go for it. If your children are struggling, I'd wait. Ask (don't demand-although you could, it isn't polite) for some work before you go, but MAKE SURE THEY DO IT!!! It is annoying to put a week or 2 of work together & then have it ignored. Then, don't assume that you child will be given massive extensions to make up missed work/projects/quizes, etc... I would love to go during the school year, but it isn't possible.

Now as for standardized testing, I am a conservative libertarian (rare in the education profession). I have voted for & will vote for G.W.Bush. But this NCLB act is designed to destroy public education. It is an effort to break teachers unions & make vouchers the policy for the country. I went to a catholic H.S. my children go to catholic elementary school (they will probably attend public high school). I made that choice....oh boy, I'd better stop I am beginning to rant...

My son's school just completed testing this week. I guess we're lucky. They took the math test this Tuesday and the reading test last Tuesday. Our teachers DO NOT teach to the test. During the year they follow the curriculum for the subjects they are responsible for. A few times during the year the kids take mock exams to see how they are doing.

The kids that didn't do well the on the test the year before HAVE to attend an afterschool class from October- April. Six weeks before the test our school has test prep on Saturdays that all students are welcomed to attend.

The testing doesn't bother my son or I. We see it as a way to chart his progress from year to year. He's in the 7th grade. He's been taking test since 2nd and will continue to take them until he graduates. As long as the test covers material he has learned I don't have a problem with them.

Originally posted by georgina
Obviously you missed school a lot, because your spelling is lousy and you don't know the difference between a possesive and a plural.

My you are the funny one. Maybe you should just keep your mouth shut (fingers) and let people with a clue write on this board. We don't make fun of people on this board. We ask for opinions. We don't have to agree, but we try to remain polite.:rolleyes:

Not to belittle your spelling, but possessive has four S's.

JMO & maybe I'm just goofy & niave about the whole thing, but I feel that standardized testing is more of a test for the schools & teachers than it is for the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Originally posted by disneyjunkie
My son's school just completed testing this week. I guess we're lucky. They took the math test this Tuesday and the reading test last Tuesday. Our teachers DO NOT teach to the test. During the year they follow the curriculum for the subjects they are responsible for. A few times during the year the kids take mock exams to see how they are doing.

The kids that didn't do well the on the test the year before HAVE to attend an afterschool class from October- April. Six weeks before the test our school has test prep on Saturdays that all students are welcomed to attend.

The testing doesn't bother my son or I. We see it as a way to chart his progress from year to year. He's in the 7th grade. He's been taking test since 2nd and will continue to take them until he graduates. As long as the test covers material he has learned I don't have a problem with them.

What you do not understand is that the teachers DO teach to the test. Most schools now build their ENTIRE curriculum around the test. Teachable moments are going by the wayside. Now, Classes are filled with test-taking strategies & writing samples that prepare them more for passing a test that measures 1 day's efforts, rather than life lessons that will actually help them in the real world.

Unless your school is a private school, students cannot be compelled to go to afterschool classes in preparation for the exams.

My son's school is a public, inner city school. If the parents refuse to have their child attend the afterschool classes(without good reason) or refuse to get outside help for them, they'll HAVE to take the child out of the school.

Every child in my son's school is there by choice. You must take an entrance exam, the parent and the child has to have an interview in order to attend this school. No one gets in based on zoning.

So yes, they can force the kids to attend an afterschool program. Just as they canforce them to wear a uniform everyday.

The children and parents know what's expected of them before they enroll. If they don't agree with the policies, they are free to attend another school.

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
What you do not understand is that the teachers DO teach to the test. Most schools now build their ENTIRE curriculum around the test.
::yes:: That's how it has become here. It is horrible. My fourth and fifth graders are learning bits and pieces of algebra, geometry and probability and statistics in math, but are not getting a solid grasp of ANYTHING, just a little of EVERYTHING. I can't see how this can be a good thing. The "age appropriate" math they are doing seems to focus more on whether or not they can EXPLAIN how they got the answer (in words) rather than getting the correct answer at all. I think that most of the really good students are still doing well, but those who sometimes struggled before are falling further and further behind and will continue to do so.

To graduate high school students must not only achieve certain scores on the standardized tests, but must also now perform a set number of hours of volunteer work and community service.

Schools who don't meet the "requirements" have their funding cut.

Originally posted by disneyjunkie
My son's school is a public, inner city school. If the parents refuse to have their child attend the afterschool classes(without good reason) or refuse to get outside help for them, they'll HAVE to take the child out of the school.

Every child in my son's school is there by choice. You must take an entrance exam, the parent and the child has to have an interview in order to attend this school. No one gets in based on zoning.

So yes, they can force the kids to attend an afterschool program. Just as they canforce them to wear a uniform everyday.

The children and parents know what's expected of them before they enroll. If they don't agree with the policies, they are free to attend another school.

now, then. we both know a "charter" or "magnet" school is different than a "public" school. let's not pretend they are the same thing.

Originally posted by wdwdvcdad
now, then. we both know a "charter" or "magnet" school is different than a "public" school. let's not pretend they are the same thing.

It isn't a charter or magnet school. It's a public school that sets high standards for the students.

If you ever listen to Walter Williams when he sits in on the Rush Limbaugh show, he sometimes talks about a public school in Harlem. He talks about how strict they are and the high standards they have. That school is Frederick Douglass Academy. My son's school is one of four replications of FDA.

Here's a link about FDA.

http://archives.charleston.net/news/education/schb1126.htm

Here's a link about NYC Department of Education involvement with replications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter