Purchasing a personal ECV to use at WDW

MK032197

Mouseketeer
I rent an ECV through Scooterbug while visiting WDW. Since I visit several times a year I am considering purchasing an ECV that is portable. Any suggestions on models? Would like something easy to disassemble and also that can be used on WDW transportation.

I have a Go-Go Traveler Elite (or Elite Traveler-I can never remember which word comes first). It easily breaks down to put in a car. But think of this-if, for some reason, your own scooter breaks down at the back of the park, what help will you get? If you have a scooter rental and a phone, call the company, and they'll bring you a new scooter. I travel solo most of the time, and since I don't have a good answer to this question, my scooter stays home, and I continue to rent at WDW. But maybe someone here can change my mind.

Rent from Gold Mobility at least once and the. You can generally buy at a major discount from them. And you won't want to go back to renting from anyone else

I rent an ECV through Scooterbug while visiting WDW. Since I visit several times a year I am considering purchasing an ECV that is portable. Any suggestions on models? Would like something easy to disassemble and also that can be used on WDW transportation.

Some more info that might be helpful when folks make recommendations:

- how much weight can you lift? (Or will you *always* have a helper with you?) Trying to lift 50 pounds of wiggly child is all different from trying to lift 50 pounds of scooter - and the kiddo will be easier to lift!
- 3 wheels or 4 wheels? (IMHO it doesn’t matter, but some folks have a strong preference)
- captain’s chair or low back seat? Are arm rests required?
- tiller or squeeze throttle?
- are there any accessories that are “must haves” (like cup holders, headlight, or USB port) ?
- are you open to super-light alternatives (but they tend to not be “plush”) ?

According to Disney’s rules, “…Devices must be manually or electrically powered and operated at a walking pace. Devices should be single rider and not exceed 36" (92 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length.” Handy-dandy, that’s the size of the white box painted on the ground at Disney Resort hotel bus stops, so if a device fits in that box, it should fit on the bus. Obvi, the smaller the device, the easier it will be to park.

There’s a lot to Consider when you start looking at a personal mobility device. The one thing I will encourage you to do is this:

NEVER buy a device without personally test-driving it first.

Without telling the whole long and stupidly boring story, learn from me. I got lucky the first time, but the 2nd time I got burned. Badly. Even though I did tons of research, I talked to other owners of the device, did all my due diligence. And then the vendor basically tried to gaslight me, and tell me it was my fault. If I had not found other users online who were having the exact same issues I was, I would have believed the vendor. Moral of the story: Test drive it yourself. In person. Make sure it is everything you want it to be before you buy. Make sure it will fit in your vehicle. Make sure you can lift the heaviest piece yourself (if that’s something you plan on doing)

@Evita_W had a great suggestion just right up there; several folks here have done that with good results. That way you get to find out if you really like that scooter, and can deal with it while renting first from a reputable vendor.

It should be noted that in many cases, you can actually buy the exact unit you rented from Gold Mobility and they will usually provide a credit of what you paid for the rental towards the purchase price.

Last edited:
My father had a foldable Air Hawk electric wheelchair. It was easy to transport and not too heavy. We used to take it everywhere.

I have a Go-Go Traveler Elite (or Elite Traveler-I can never remember which word comes first). It easily breaks down to put in a car. But think of this-if, for some reason, your own scooter breaks down at the back of the park, what help will you get? If you have a scooter rental and a phone, call the company, and they'll bring you a new scooter. I travel solo most of the time, and since I don't have a good answer to this question, my scooter stays home, and I continue to rent at WDW. But maybe someone here can change my mind.
This is an interesting point, in DH's case, he bought his scooter from Gold Mobility, so obviously they are quite able to repair them.

One trip he had already asked them if they would just do a check up on the scooter to make sure that it was functioning well and battery health and all of that. They were quite willing to do that and give him a loaner while they checked it out. Well, the airline (South West) damaged the seat and the basket mount during the flight. He of course reported the damage to South West who gave them their insurance company's contact information. He talked with the insurance company and gave them Gold's number. Gold worked with their insurance company and he had his scooter back with all repairs made (including fixing the undercarriage lighting) and everything checked out in under 4 hours and they even fully cleaned the scooter and they billed the insurance company for the damaged items. The insurance company actually called him and thanked him for introducing them to Gold Mobility because they had been having so many problems with getting scooters repaired in a timely manner in the area and getting ripped off on pricing, Gold was up front and honest with them and apparently now gets all of the business from that insurance company in the area for repairs as a result.

Another point here is DH's scooter was acting up last year (due to his own fault of using it on a soggy lawn that damaged the motor and related components, lesson learned) and he called around the area where we live in California and got some quotes for repair, the biggest problem was most could not get the parts due to supply chain issues and the few that could knew the limited availability and jacked up the prices, so he then checked with Gold Mobility and they were able to get the parts (knowing what the likely issues were, they had most in place for repairing their own, but there was one that was the problem), it cost him less to fly to Orlando, get a hotel room, have them repair it and fly back. Again they provided a loaner while repairing his scooter and had it back to him in around 4 hours or so, again fully cleaned. And they found other issues he didn't know about and fixed them at the same time and it still was less than local. Of course he got a really good deal on the flights and hotel room.

My overall point here is now we are much more comfortable taking our own scooters there knowing that there is a reliable option to get them repaired. But you will want to make sure that there is a reliable company that can repair the make and model that you get. Obviously if you get a model they rent, they should be able to repair it.

As usual, the PP’s are offering great advice! I’ll add that I first purchased an electric WC for the exact same reasons as you, @MK032197 … so, my primary concerns were: all-day comfort (good cushions & “shock management” with controls on the arm- no tiller), easy travel-ability (foldable & “lightweight”), rainproof (for FL weather), & a good battery. I went with the Fold & Go Magshock (a model loved by many DISers 😉), & it has been wonderful!! It’s just what I needed!!!

My husband & family laugh at how I’m constantly adding ways to make my chair, Bessie, more useful for Disney… but those little things (the right cupholder, hooks, & bags) make the days so much more enjoyable! ☺️
Best of luck to you as you find the right tool for you!! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter