Purchasing travel insurance for DVC point rental?

You also don't get full reimbursement and the closer you get to the travel date, the less you are going to be refunded. So you could be out the cost of the insurance and a big chunk of what you paid. I've seen it offered through David's and another place that rents DVC points.

If you are talking about travel insurance insurance in general this is not true. A few years back I took out trip insurance for an Alaskan Cruisetour and had to file a claim as we had to cancel for a covered reason less then 30 day before our trip. We booked air and cruise separately. We got the entire amount back less the cost of the trip insurance and what was reimbursed under the cruise lines cancellation policy of course, they reimbursed the entire airfare. In the end we were made whole and were not out any money, except of course the previously mentioned cost of trip insurance.

If we had to cancel the day before our trip started and the cruise lines policy was no refund from them the trip insurance would have covered everything.

Last edited:
I actually rented through David's, so my contract is with him not an individual, and it has the total price I paid his company in my contract.

I don’t know what his contract said in 2016, but I have rented out my DVC points several times through David’s (as recently as last month) and this is not correct as of 2019. He makes very clear in his contract that he is only serving as an intermediary. The contract is between the DVC owner and the renter.

Maybe contract was the wrong word to use? Don't you get billed by directly by David's or the other points brokers for a "cash" amount? If that's the case you as the renter are not using points but paying "cash" and that's how the trip insurance company sees it.

Maybe contract was the wrong word to use? Don't you get billed by directly by David's or the other points brokers for a "cash" amount? If that's the case you as the renter are not using points but paying "cash" and that's how the trip insurance company sees it.

I’ve never been a renter through his service, so I’m not sure how it’s billed, but that seems reasonable. I don’t have any idea how travel insurance companies look at it for coverage purposes on the renter side. On the owner side this came up on the DVC board, and apparently it’s a gray area whether an owner trip would be covered. A prior poster mentioned that a competitor has an insurance type plan, David’s does not. He has a link for renters to get quotes on travel insurance. Trying to get a claims adjuster at a traditional insurance company to understand a DVC rental sounds like it could be painful. If you’re deadset on travel insurance, it might be worth renting through a company that has their own in house insurance or works with a company that explicitly covers DVC rentals.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter