question about Birkenstocks

Plutes

Mouseketeer
This may be a really dumb question, but please humor me! :) Will my Birkenstocks be ruined if I get them wet??

Every year, I stand by & watch DH go on the water rides by himself because I HATE having wet socks & sneakers. This year, I thought maybe I would bring my Birkenstocks & just change into them right before going on, say, Kali River Rapids. I'm not really much of a sandal person, so they're pretty much my only option - I don't own any others! I just wanted to know if they could withstand getting soaked or not!

TIA!
Amy

The sales lady told me that I should not get mine wet. That being said, I wore mine for 2 weeks and had rain every day. They seem to be in fine condition.

The suede ones will get trashed....Don't know about the other materials. I think Birk makes a model that is rubber (mostly for nurses)...I guess those would be okay...:p

I have a few pairs.

After a couple of years, I had the "nerve" to let one pair get wet. I've worn them in the rain, and after swimming when I'm dripping wet. It's the "standard" sandel, not suede or anything. It's fine. It's a bit more "worn" looking, and the bottom may be slightly harder. But it still very comfortable.

I'm taking 2 pairs of my berkies with me for our trip tomorrow!

I've been caught in rain storms all the time with my Birkenstocks on and they are fine! In fact I think it tightens them up a little and does more conforming to my foot then they feel better, if that's possible. I love my birky's.

Beth

if i remember correctly there is a spot in the middle of the kali river rapids ride to put your shoes and its covered with plastic so they stay dry.

My Birks are the soft footbed type, and are micro-fiber instead of suede. On our August 2001 trip, we got caught in the mother of all rain storms. We had water up to our ankles. It took 2 days for them to dry out, but I have been wearing them almost every summer day since then, and they are still my favorite shoes. I just bought a 2nd pair of the same style yesterday for our October trip, so I can wear those if the others get wet, instead of my Easy Spirit walking shoes.

Erika

Have you seen the water shoes from Lands End? They look like sneakers but are made to get wet. I dont know how much support they have, but I read some reviews on here somewhere about them being worn at WDW. There are other brands out there as well (I think Merrell makes some). Birks do come in a waterproof material which would be better. However, these dont last as long as suede-I wore mine daily and the straps eventually tore. Also, they made my feet stink (all vinyl type shoes do this as they dont allow your feet to breath). I have a few pairs now and usually only wear them if its wet outside.

alison

My birkenstock "dealer" gave me this stuff to put on the cork bottom area to help seal it. I am sorry I can't remember what it is but you can probably call a birkenstock retailer & ask. My birkies are now about 8 yrs old & still going strong! They've been in all kinds of weather & still hold up. I finally got me some Teva's this year that I'm bringing to WDW, but my birkie's will be there too. I want to have another option just in case!

Originally posted by elgerber
My Birks are the soft footbed type, and are micro-fiber instead of suede. On our August 2001 trip, we got caught in the mother of all rain storms. We had water up to our ankles. It took 2 days for them to dry out, but I have been wearing them almost every summer day since then, and they are still my favorite shoes. I just bought a 2nd pair of the same style yesterday for our October trip, so I can wear those if the others get wet, instead of my Easy Spirit walking shoes.

Erika

Tell me more about this style. What is the style name? Where can I find them? I'm really interested in this shoe.

Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like I'll be packing my Birks! FINALLY, I'll get to go on all those water rides!! :teeth: (Now let's see if I actually go through with it - ponchos & sandals can only help out so much!) lol!

My DH has horrible issues with his feet - he does own some Birks but we've always just used his New Balance sneakers for WDW. Can you feasibly walk all day comfortably in Birks. Sorry I've never worn them... & he just uses them around the house
Christine

It seems that just about everyone here on the DIS LOVES their Birkenstocks & swear by them. So, I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'm not crazy about mine.

I ALWAYS have foot problems when we go away, which is why I bought my pair of Birks in the first place. After hearing so many people rave about them, I thought they would be great. They weren't so great for me, though. As a matter of fact, over the summer, I had to go to the podiatrist & couldn't wear closed shoes for about a week. I figured, Great! I'll wear my Birks. Well, I was in agony every night when I came home from work. They're fine for a quick trip to the mall, or maybe to wear around the house, but that's about it. So, FOR ME, it's still New Balance all the way! As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'll only be using the Birkenstocks for the water rides.

Plutes - thanks for the heads up... I will be packing DH's New Balances. I already know that we have minimal issues with those... I'd hate to risk it.
Christine

I have Birks, which I have gotten soaked numerous times with no problems, and tevas and love them both. My husband has both as well and loves his too.

When my brother and I get new Birks, we love getting htem wet! He is convinced that a few walks in the ocean gets them perfect for everyday wear. It breaks them in and helps them mold to your foot. Ours have never gotten ruined from this or even shown much wear. I would RECOMMEND getting them soaking wet! So much comfier!

Good luck!
Ashley:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter