Question About Convention Center Resorts Regarding Pete's Comment On The Contemporary

Madi100

DIS Veteran
My family and I enjoy spending time on the Boardwalk. Since we rely 100% on Disney transportation, we take the bus from the Boardwalk area and go to Downtown Disney and then walk to SSR. Every single time we've been on the bus in the evening time, we've been quite entertained by the conventioners from the Swan/Dolphin who have already had plenty to drink and are on their way to DTD. While we've always enjoyed seeing make fools of themselves, when our children are along, their behavior is inappropriate. There are conventioners at several resorts.

As someone who annually attends a convention/meeting for radiologists at the S/D , I find the stereotypical comments regarding concentioners inaccurate, an exaggeration, and somewhat offensive. Every year I am there I see nothing out of the ordinary or inappropriate. Just some business people and lots of families doing the usual Disney stuff, with meetings etc in the conference rooms. Majority of us are not there to be rowdy or party. We rae enjoying Disney just like the rest.

I think it's a case of the few making the many look bad. For the most part, members of ALL groups that are much maligned on these boards are much more well-behaved than they are portrayed. I've personally seen terrible behavior by EVERY demographic out there...parents with strollers, daddy melt-downs, Pop Warner kids, teens, Brazilians, conventioneers, etc....but for the most part, these groups are no worse than anyone else. They just happen to be easily identified, so easily categorized.

I wonder sometimes at what people think of some of the DIS meets that happen onsite. I've read some trip reports by the participants...I'll tell you, if I had a room in the resort they were staying in, I'd be making some serious complaints to the front desk, if what they were reporting was true. They weren't conventioneers...just unruly adults...but staying in a "convention" resort, might have been identified as such.

I'd be careful of the broad brush.

When my kids were little and we encountered people behaving badly we just made the best of it and used it as a teaching moment for our personal family values later (after the event was over--no finger pointing and lecturing in front of the offenders!)

Agreed. There are bad apples in all flavors of WDW guest. I lodged a complaint (my only one to date!) with Disney after a private party on the beach at BCV had a DJ playing hip-hop music with graphically sexual lyrical content. Do I like some such music? Sure. Does it belong in a family-friendly area blaring across a lagoon surrounded by 5 resorts? Nope.

I don't think smear was intended; rather to increase our awareness (The raison d'etre of the DISH boards) as to where families may be more at risk of encountering less-than-family-friendly behavior. And sorry, but the typical convention crowd contains more single adults away from their familes and on expense accounts than the general WDW-going public. Not all conventions are of medical professionals. I for one didn't know the Contemporary was a convention draw, and knowing that fact will help my choices on future trips.

For those trying to avoid the convention guests, you should be aware that the Contemporary, GF, YC/BC,BW and Coronado all have convention facilities which do a brisk convention/meeting business. Have attended meetings at all of these except Coronado. And the crowd was tame, alot of families. There are alot of medical/dental/legal meetings at WDW. This year there are 6 radiology meetings at Disney, and that is only one of many medical specialties.

As someone who annually attends a convention/meeting for radiologists at the S/D , I find the stereotypical comments regarding concentioners inaccurate, an exaggeration, and somewhat offensive. Every year I am there I see nothing out of the ordinary or inappropriate. Just some business people and lots of families doing the usual Disney stuff, with meetings etc in the conference rooms. Majority of us are not there to be rowdy or party. We rae enjoying Disney just like the rest.

My comment was made because Pete commented on the fact that there are a lot of conventioners that go to the Contemporary. I was just pointing out that there are several reesorts that perhaps should be watched out for if that is an issue for anyone. I mean no offense. And, I'm sure that the people that we have encountered on the bus are a small sampling of what a convention has to offer. I have read several people taking families to their conventions. I mean offense and I'm sorry if you took offense to what I said. It wasn't meant as an attack.

I think it's a case of the few making the many look bad. For the most part, members of ALL groups that are much maligned on these boards are much more well-behaved than they are portrayed. I've personally seen terrible behavior by EVERY demographic out there...parents with strollers, daddy melt-downs, Pop Warner kids, teens, Brazilians, conventioneers, etc....but for the most part, these groups are no worse than anyone else. They just happen to be easily identified, so easily categorized.

I wonder sometimes at what people think of some of the DIS meets that happen onsite. I've read some trip reports by the participants...I'll tell you, if I had a room in the resort they were staying in, I'd be making some serious complaints to the front desk, if what they were reporting was true. They weren't conventioneers...just unruly adults...but staying in a "convention" resort, might have been identified as such.

I'd be careful of the broad brush.

I'm sure that on the podcast cruise we will be perfect angels :)

Again, not meant to put all conventioners in the same category, just offering that there are more one convention resort. I don't for a minute think that all of the convention guys were riidng on my bus. Sorry if implied that.

I'm sure that on the podcast cruise we will be perfect angels :)

Again, not meant to put all conventioners in the same category, just offering that there are more one convention resort. I don't for a minute think that all of the convention guys were riidng on my bus. Sorry if implied that.

Aw, sweetie, didn't mean to make you defensive! You happened to get stuck on a bus with a bunch of jerks.

Believe me...I'm going to try my best to behave on this cruise, if only because I know there are lots of families there with me, and I have a tendency to get...um...overexcited. (Must...limit...my....rum......):thumbsup2

Aw, sweetie, didn't mean to make you defensive! You happened to get stuck on a bus with a bunch of jerks.

Believe me...I'm going to try my best to behave on this cruise, if only because I know there are lots of families there with me, and I have a tendency to get...um...overexcited. (Must...limit...my....rum......):thumbsup2

And, I don't want people to think that I'm being mean. Not intended that way.

And, I think you have nothing to worry about on the cruise. The families are frightened because you have a real, live cistern in your cabin :) It won't have anything to do with rum. But, if there is rum involved, I'll be with you.

And, I don't want people to think that I'm being mean. Not intended that way.

And, I think you have nothing to worry about on the cruise. The families are frightened because you have a real, live cistern in your cabin :) It won't have anything to do with rum. But, if there is rum involved, I'll be with you.

Don't worry, I'll put child gates around the cistern...nobody's going in unless I put them there!

No one's saying that you have to beware of the Convention crowd, but I have seen examples of what Pete described while attending conventions and finding myself in the midst of one. (I've tried to erase the memory of the time we unexpectedtly found ourselves at the same hotel where the New England Clown Convention was taking place.) You don't want to see a tipsy clown. :clown: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Conventions are demanding, often filled with hours of endless meetings and seminars. A 'few' (one person was mentioned) choose to unwind by hitting the bars a little too hard. It was said this was an extreme example. I took it more as a cautionary tale rather than an indictment of all conventioneers.

No one's saying that you have to beware of the Convention crowd, but I have seen examples of what Pete described while attending conventions and finding myself in the midst of one. (I've tried to erase the memory of the time we unexpectedtly found ourselves at the same hotel where the New England Clown Convention was taking place.) You don't want to see a tipsy clown. :clown: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

Conventions are demanding, often filled with hours of endless meetings and seminars. A 'few' (one person was mentioned) choose to unwind by hitting the bars a little too hard. It was said this was an extreme example. I took it more as a cautionary tale rather than an indictment of all conventioneers.

My post was in response to the initial post in this thread, not pete's story which unfortunately I haven't yet had time to listen to. Anyway thanks for a very funny mental image of the clown convention. We have 1 in Saratoga here I think annually and it's quite funny to see them all out and about downtown.

My post was in response to the initial post in this thread, not pete's story which unfortunately I haven't yet had time to listen to. Anyway thanks for a very funny mental image of the clown convention. We have 1 in Saratoga here I think annually and it's quite funny to see them all out and about downtown.

Pete's comment isn't a listen to, it's a read. It's talked about in his blog. You can find teh blog if you look at the top of this page next to Podcast Main Page

I'm with you on this one Nicole...we've been on a few of those buses as well. Nothing worse than loud, obnoxious, drunk people! I'm sure there are a lot of family-friendly conventions held at WDW on a regular basis. However, I've certainly experienced groups that do not fall into that category!

Another group to try and avoid are high school/college students that are ready to party. We were on a bus once with a large group of young women/men that didn't really look old enough to drink that were well on their way to a guaranteed hangover and headed out to DTD to finish the job. That ride was almost unbearable. It's the bus drivers that have to handle these crowds that I really feel sorry for.

Anyone who thinks Nicole is an "attack" type is a Sillybritches. :upsidedow

Her State Fair is a great State Fair. It's dollars to doughnuts that her State Fair is the best State Fair in her State. :laughing: :hug:

Her State Fair is a great State Fair. It's dollars to doughnuts that her State Fair is the best State Fair in her State. :laughing: :hug:
I would state that it's fair to state that her state fair is a fair State Fair.

Thank you very much :hug:

And, my state fair is a fair state fair. If you have not been to my state fair, it needs to be on your list of things to do, because it made some list of things you need to do before you die.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter