question about letter authorizing medical care

Disneychica

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

This post doesn't exactly address a disability question, but does relate to something I have seen mentioned on this board often.

My husband and I are going on an Anniversary trip to Disney this week, and our son will be staying with my parents. This will be our first trip away from him. I'm nervous. :worried: I do think it will be good for us though.

I think I have seen it mentioned that I should leave a notarized letter authorizing medical care to my parents along with Liam's insurance card. Can anyone help with a little specific advice as to what the letter should say?

Thanks

I have writen a note that my mother keeps. She has had to use it several times. (ear infection, asthma) The note that I gave her says:

To Whom it may concern,

I (my name) give (my mother's name) permission to make any and all medical decisions concerning my son (my son's name). Thank you.

Sincerely,
(my name)

My mother has never had any problems using the note. Just make sure you sign the note if you type it.

Ami

When my kids stay with their grandparents, I always send a note, just like the others said. You should also include in the note if your child has any allergies, current medications, and any significant health history. Make sure you sign and date the note. It does not have to be notorized. On the note, I also include how to get a hold of me (cell phone and resort phone number.)

You can find all sorts of forms on the internet like the one that was already posted. Or, just make up your own and sign it, like Amii did. (That's what we have done). Doctor's offices also have copies of forms on hand and you might be able to get one there or from their website, if they have one.

In case of a life threatening emergency, doctor's can treat without consent (they save/stabalize the patient first and ask questions later). Consent can also be obtained on the phone - I work in a hospital as a nurse in a non-patient care position. I have often been the witness for phone consent.

Other important things to have would be your child's complete name and birthdate (even though the people you are leavinng him with know it, in a panic, they may just go blank), the doctor's name and phone number, a copy of your medical insurance card and a contact phone number for you.

to all who have responded. The information has helped tremendously.

I'm getting excited about the trip and just want to make sure everything is all taken care of before we go. If anything can distract us from being away for Liam, it is Disney World.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter