Question for anyone in Maryland and the tunnels

Colleen A.

<font color=green>Disney Planning Maniac!<br><font
We are going to Disney in Dec and are towing are camper. I know that HazMat is not permitted in the tunnels so we took the Francis Scott Key bridge last time. Is there any other way to avoid this bridge? It is so narrow and long that it about freaked me out!:earseek: Please HELP! I dread crossing that thing again!!!!!!!

No answer but I'll give this a bump up to the top. FYI -- a very nice DIS'er has also posted this on the Community Board to try and find you an answer. :)

Colleen A.,

The only other way I know is to use the Baltimore Beltway (495). Go completely around the city - just in the opposite direction of the Key Bridge.

You can also come through town, but that would require lots more traffic and side roads.

Are you coming from the North, heading South on 95? If so, when you get to the split (495 East/South to Key Bridge; 95 South to the tunnels; or 495 West towards Pikesville/Reistertown), take the 495 West towards Pikesville/Reistertown).

This will take you a longer way (mileage) but it's all major interstate. Just follow 495; you will go past Ownings Mills, Security Blvd., Catonsville (just a few landmarks for you) and then hit 95 South again towards Washington, DC.

Let me know if you need more specifics or are coming via a different direction and I'll try to help. Ellen

What esulerzy said was correct except for one thing. The Baltimore Beltway is 695. If you are heading south on 95, this takes you around the west side of the city, avoiding the harbor crossing.

Yes, we are driving 95 South. Would you know about how much additional time it would take to avoid this bridge? If it would an over a half hour, I think I'll just have to hold by breathe and close my eyes!!:p

thanks everyone, I knew my CB friends would come through. I hate seeing people go with their questions unanswered!

Sorry about that oops! Thanks for the correction, Breezy_Carol. I work in the VA area and live in the Balt area so sometimes I confuse myself :D

Colleen A., depending on the time of day, it should not take a half-hour to go around the beltway. During non-rush hour, it should only take 20-25 minutes.

Good luck! Ellen

Thanks for the great info! I can now breathe a huge sigh of relief!:) When we crossed the F.S. Key bridge in 2000, it was about 10 am on Sat. morning and the winds were positively brutal that day! Even though we have a sway bar on the camper, the wind kept pushing us into the oncoming lane!:earseek: I would of liked to have a heart attack! We are planning on pulling out at around 3 am on a Friday morning, so we should be in that area at around 6 am. Hopefully traffic won't be that bad! How big is the bridge that you cross using 695?

Colleen

Colleen A.

That's the beauty of going around the Beltway - there are no bridges!!! And, you should be fine during that time of day - just missing Baltimore rush hour.

Just a warning, you may hit Washington DC rush hour - especially at the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (going from Maryland into VA). That can back up several miles each morning. The good news is that once over that bridge, you should have clear sailing since traffic will be going in the opposite direction.

I hope you have a safe journey and a terrific vacation.

Ellen

The rush hour starts around 6 am....geez! Those people need to get a life!;) If I know my DH, we'll be on the road long before 6. One year, he couldn't sleep (which naturally means that sleep was out of the question for me!:rolleyes: ) so we hauled the kids out of bed, tossed them in the back of the van, and were on the road by 1:30 am!!:earseek: We made great timing, mind you, until we hit the drawbridge near Washington (don't know what it's called!) They had it shut down temporarily for repairs!! Sat there for about 45 minutes!!:earseek: Oh well!!
Thanks again for all your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!!!

Colleen
:earsgirl:

You can avoid that Wilson Bridge too by taking I495 in the opposite direction and heading toward Dulles Airport, Tysons corner via the Capitol Beltway. You'll wind up right at the "mixing bowl" where all roads come together to become I95 once again. Personally, the Wilson Bridge is usually the better route, but it can be avoided if that's what you want..
Hard to imgine a major bridge like the Wilson being a drawbridge, isn't it??
Most times it's fine, but when it's up (or broken) it's usually at the "off hours" like when you got there last time.
Getting around DC is like flipping a coin and heads or tails, you lose either way!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter