Question for those who stay off site from Walt Disney World

We have been to WDW as a family 6 times. The first time we stayed off-site on our way back from a beach trip and just did one day at Magic Kingdom. The second time we stayed at Poly one night and then at the Beach Club. The third time we stayed at the Beach Club. The 4th time we stayed at POFQ after spending a few nights at the Doubletree near Universal as part of an HGVC timeshare promotion. We sat through a hurricane at the Doubletree; a teenager, a pre-teen, my husband and I. We were stuck there in that tiny room for 2 days. Then we toured the timeshare. We had no intention of buying, but holy cow the space was enormous, there was a t.v. for everybody, a screened in porch, none of us had to share a double bed, full beautiful kitchen, a washer dryer right there and the resort was absolutely beautiful. We bought a timeshare right then and the next two visits we stayed there. We are only about 5 minutes from Downtown Disney. Staying onsite is convenient and fun but for us it seems it is most enjoyable if we are at a deluxe resort and the price for those has gotten ridiculous. My husband is about Disneyed out so when we go to Orlando for a week we generally only do two days at the park and the rest is total relaxation at the resort.

We stay in a private villa because we prefer the extra room, freedom and privacy.
Something you just do not get in a Disney hotel.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life said:
I have a very simple question for those who stay off site when they visit when Walt Disney World. My question why do you stay off site? Is it because of money, like to a lot of things outside Walt Disney World property, find it to be less insane? Just curious what are your reasons for staying off site?

My main reason is expense.The villa is very economical and you get more for your money.

Lynn

For us, money. We have 5 kids. Two rooms onsite is just too much. We're renting a pool home.

I agree with most of what has been said. Our original reason for staying offsite was price and space. On our first family trip our children were 6 and almost 4. We couldn't stand the thought of sitting in a dark room at 8 or 9 pm, waiting for the kids to go to sleep. And overtired kids on vacation is just plain yucky!! So we booked a 1 bedroom suite off-site (Homewood Suites in Kissimee.... alas, no longer) for $59/night!! (This was shortly after 9/11 and prices were LOW!) It was PERFECT! We were able to to put the kids to bed and still enjoy our evening! Plus with a small kitchen we were able to do snacks and light meals and drinks in the room if we wanted. That was a big money saver and our first trip was definitely a budget trip! Plus free bkfst and free afternoon snacks... couldn't beat it!

We liked it so much that we booked it again (at a similar price, after much haggling) on our second trip. As I mentioned, unfortunately, that hotel is no longer under that ownership and I would hesitate to rent from a "non-chain" hotel.

We are in the planning stages for our next trip, hopefully this coming January. We are considering on-site this time. DH has a chronic illness that tires him out faster than the kids and I get tired, plus he is not a huge Disney fan. So if we stayed on site and rented a car he could drive himself back to the room whenever he wanted and then the kids and I could take Disney transportation back when we were ready. Plus the kids are getting older and can stay up later!! I'm so cheap that we will probably end up at the Pop or All Stars... but I am hoping to have enough $$ set aside to consider POR. We stayed at Carribean Beach on our Honeymoon, but I didn't love it. It was just okay.

Okay.... I know I am rambling.... just wanted to share. Thanks for listening!......P

pjilla - look into renting DVC points - you can get OKW (which I think your husband would appreciate) for about the same as a moderate. if you rent points from a DVC member.

OKW has 2 queen beds, kitchennett and a balcony

POR and POP both have 2 double (full) beds. POR will have a small refrigerator.

here is the boards where there are rentals
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

the going price is $10 a point - if the DVC member can't make you the reservation you want - then find one who can. Don't send them money until they can show you a reservation - some won't change to you until you send them the money. but what is important that they have the reservation for the time and place that you want, before you send them any money.

if any questions ask away. there are several DVC members who also own offsite - or like to stay offsite as well as WDW.

For us, it's many things. I really don't care for the WDW transportation system. Like someone else mentioned, I feel like cattle. I also like to get away and recharge midday. I just don't feel like I'm getting away when I'm still on WDW property.

I also feel too secluded from the real world staying on site. When I'm off site, I've got a liquor store right around the corner, a real drugstore, a grocery store where I can buy anything I want to fill my full-size fridge and freezer with.

I also must add that our worst experience staying in any hotel ever has been at a WDW moderate hotel. Not to get too gross, but let me just say health violations involving a prior guest's urine in our room. Sure, this can happen anywhere, but if this had happened to me at, say, Marriot, I would never stay at a Marriot again.

Other than that, it's basic math. If the urine thing hadn't happened and we would consider staying at a WDW hotel again, I could stay at WDW for around $70 bucks a night with a FL discount in a tiny hotel room, or I can stay in a two-bedroom condo/timeshare for, say, 200 - 300 bucks for six nights in a 1,500 square foot condo -- with jacuzzis in the bedrooms, full living quarters, big-screen TVs, full kitchen, easy access to grocery stores, etc. The money we save on preparing our own quick breakfasts is unreal.

Lastly, there's so many fun things to do in the area other than WDW. We love all the parks, and it's just easier to enjoy everything Orlando has to offer staying centrally located as opposed to being tucked away on WDW property.

PlutoLuvr said:
there's so many fun things to do in the area other than WDW. We love all the parks, and it's just easier to enjoy everything Orlando has to offer staying centrally located as opposed to being tucked away on WDW property.

you didn't mention the big one.

WDW does not want you off WDW property. and therefore none of the local buses who would take you to Seaworld or US/IOA or the outlet malls are followed on property.

Confused here, Spicy :confused3 The big one?

This is a big one for us and why I listed it as a reason for staying off site. I drive my own car to Orlando, stay off site, don't rely on anyone's transportation but my own so that we can enjoy other sights in Orlando on our schedule.

I fully agree about Disney keeping us tucked away so that we don't want to hassle with trying to venture out. Hence, one big reason why we don't stay on site. I love Disney parks, but I love Universal, too, as well as Sea World, as well as nightlife in downtown Orlando.

Am I misunderstanding? Not fully caffeinated over here yet :surfweb:

For my family, we travel to Orlando from CT for the change of climate. We've done Disney many times and stayed at the resorts on site as well and they are great. That said, I find that my vacation dollar goes much further outside of Disney. with 5 of us, the timeshare rentals are a given and a great deal. It gives us 2 bedrooms and a kitchen and lots of room to spread out. Having the full kitchen means we can reduce our food expense by purchasing, breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks at the local publix. We do dinner out every night while on vacation. And there are many great places to eat in Orlando. My wife and daugther love to shop so we visit the outlet malls. We usually only visit the parks for a day or two now. We stay at Marriotts so the quality is always top notch, just like Disney.

My #1 reason is that we pay $70-80 per night for 6 people and have a delicious deluxe breakfast included. While on vacation, we only use our room to shower and sleep. I can't justify spending hundreds of $$$ a night just for that.

I actually like staying off site and don't feel I'm missing anything.

We stayed at Sheraton Safari this time. We had stayed off property before in the 80's when I was really little. We have now vowed to always stay on site since Sheraton Safari was such a hassle

We have been six times and only ever stayed off site, after renting a 3 bed villa with own pool, nothing else compares :love:

Do you get the feeling we're talking to ourselves here? Where's the OP? :confused3 We all know why we love staying offsite!

Gillian said:
Do you get the feeling we're talking to ourselves here? Where's the OP? :confused3 We all know why we love staying offsite!
What excatly do you need me to say? I said very simply why do stay off site? If you have not seen my signiture or other posts in the Resort board you can see my family & always stay on site at the Contemporary. We use to stay off site at the Hampton Inn on 192 East & the Ramada Suites by Sea World. What more do you want me to say? :confused3

What excatly do you need me to say? I said very simply why do stay off site? If you have not seen my signiture or other posts in the Resort board you can see my family & always stay on site at the Contemporary. We use to stay off site at the Hampton Inn on 192 East & the Ramada Suites by Sea World. What more do you want me to say? :confused3

The posts on these boards are always so helpful, and the people seem to be so nice, and I will TRULY hate it if my comments are seen as harsh, BUT when people take the time to respond to your question, it would only seem polite to acknowledge to them.

You say that those answering you should have done a search on your previous submissions to learn your accommodation habits. I say that since you are familiar with the search tool, you would have found that this onsite/offsite-debate/question had been asked/answered/addressed numerous times. That doesn't mean I don't mind reading them new ones, but the way you responded to Gillian's question just seemed a little harsh. :sad2:

Please forgive if these comments offend.

Popsicle said:
The posts on these boards are always so helpful, and the people seem to be so nice, and I will TRULY hate it if my comments are seen as harsh, BUT when people take the time to respond to your question, it would only seem polite to acknowledge to them.
Exactly. That's all I meant.

There are 3 pages of responses to your question, and people continue to answer. At least let us know that you're reading!

We use to stay off site at the Hampton Inn on 192 East & the Ramada Suites by Sea World. What more do you want me to say? :confused3
I'm sure these are fine, but it seems people most enjoy staying offsite in a nearby pool home the best.

If you're going to have a car some trip, and want to relax & spread out for a while, try one! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter